McDavid 8th youngest to reach 300pts

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
DuV-EV-W0AAptS2.png:large

In case the image doesn't load or is hard to read for anyone, players to post 300pts before their 22nd birthday:

1. Gretzky (20 years, 68 days)
2. Sidney Crosby (21 years, 72 days)
3. Mario Lemieux (21 years, 110 days)
4. Jimmy Carson (21 years, 159 days)
5. Pierre Turgeon (21 years, 194 days)
6. Dale Hawerchuk (21 years, 198 days)
7. Steve Yzerman (21 years, 305 days)
8. Connor McDavid (21 years, 334 days)
9. Ron Francis (21 years, 335 days)

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
All I know is, if he played a full rookie season he'd currently be at 350+ points and have a Calder.

McDavid missed 37 games in his first three seasons.

Gretzky missed 9.
Crosby missed 32.
Lemieux missed 25 (and only entered the NHL when he was 19 years old).
Carson missed 0.
Turgeon missed 4.
Hawerchuk missed 1.
Yzerman missed 29.

Lots of the guys missed time in their 4th seasons so this is a pretty inexact metric but had McDavid been healthy (and nothing else from the past changed) there's a pretty solid chance he would have been 3rd (and almost certainly 4th).

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
What's with the random shot at Matthew's?? How does that even contribute to the discussion... lol..

Embarrassing

Signed, an oiler fan.

And yes McDavid is good

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
So Crosby is better is what this thread says?

Crosby entered the league 210 days younger I think, both missed some games, not much difference between the 2, but scoring was a bit higher for first unit powerplay player in 2005/06 and 06/07 I think.

mitchdisaster

Threadkiller
Jan 30, 2007
The Superheater
Never understood the fascination with "youngest to..." in these type of things. It's a skewed stat anyways. The NHL Draft age was 20 until 1979, which automatically disqualifies pretty much everyone playing before then from ever being in this competition, not to mention things such as late birthdays moving your draft eligibility (think Ovechkin's birthday being something like 3 days after the cutoff) or work stoppages, or strike seasons, things which are ultimately out of an individual players control.

Wouldn't a much better metric be to just use games since start of career?

Found an old thread from 2016 that provided the following list
Fastest to reach milestones from 100 points to 2000 points

300 points
1. Wayne Gretzky 159 (4.4.1981)
2. Peter Stastny 186
3. Mario Lemieux 186
4. Cy Denneny 210* (18.2.1926)
5. Eric Lindros 210
6. Kent Nilsson 215
7. Sidney Crosby 219
8. Mike Bossy 221
9. Denis Savard 224
10. Teemu Selänne 227
11. Peter Forsberg 229
12. Mike Rogers 232
13. Barry Pederson 235
14. Alexander Ovechkin 237
15. Paul Kariya 238
16. Bryan Trottier 240
17. Evgeni Malkin 240[\QUOTE]

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Never understood the fascination with "youngest to..." in these type of things. It's a skewed stat anyways. The NHL Draft age was 20 until 1979, which automatically disqualifies pretty much everyone playing before then from ever being in this competition, not to mention things such as late birthdays moving your draft eligibility (think Ovechkin's birthday being something like 3 days after the cutoff) or work stoppages, or strike seasons, things which are ultimately out of an individual players control.

Wouldn't a much better metric be to just use games since start of career?

Found an old thread from 2016 that provided the following list
Fastest to reach milestones from 100 points to 2000 points
It might be "unfair", but so is everything else in life. The younger you are, the more potential hockey games you have left in you. And therefore you have a better shot at reaching higher on the all time Points list before you retire.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
DuV-EV-W0AAptS2.png:large

In case the image doesn't load or is hard to read for anyone, players to post 300pts before their 22nd birthday:

1. Gretzky (20 years, 68 days)
2. Sidney Crosby (21 years, 72 days)
3. Mario Lemieux (21 years, 110 days)
4. Jimmy Carson (21 years, 159 days)
5. Pierre Turgeon (21 years, 194 days)
6. Dale Hawerchuk (21 years, 198 days)
7. Steve Yzerman (21 years, 305 days)
8. Connor McDavid (21 years, 334 days)
9. Ron Francis (21 years, 335 days)

I love how Gretzky is #1 in basically everything, even these somewhat obscure stats. :amazed:

mitchdisaster

Threadkiller
Jan 30, 2007
The Superheater
It might be "unfair", but so is everything else in life. The younger you are, the more potential hockey games you have left in you. And therefore you have a better shot at reaching higher on the all time Points list before you retire.
I don't believe i said it's unfair, just skewed. It's kind of interesting to me that in the snippet of list i posted only 4 of those "youngest to 300 points" are included, hell Pierre Turgeon scored his 300th point in his 305th game nearing the end of his 4th season.

Mike Bossy didn't even play in his first NHL game until he was 2oY & 264D old. By the time McDavid was the exact same age it was opening night of his 3rd NHL season and he scored a hat trick in his 128th game for a total of 151 points. Pierre had already played 236 games and had 236 pts by the time he was the same age as Bossy was in his first game. Now it's not exactly Bossy's fault he wasn't able to hit 300 points at a younger age.

(chose Bossy because his and McDavid's birthday's are close to each other which takes out the obvious bias i could have used with a birthday closer to the cutoff date.)

The only reason to use the "youngest to..." is to make these milestones seem greater than they are. Put into context McDavid's tied for 17th fastest to 300 pts. That's pretty damn good. Why try to make it something that it doesn't need to be?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I don't believe i said it's unfair, just skewed. It's kind of interesting to me that in the snippet of list i posted only 4 of those "youngest to 300 points" are included, hell Pierre Turgeon scored his 300th point in his 305th game nearing the end of his 4th season.

Mike Bossy didn't even play in his first NHL game until he was 2oY & 264D old. By the time McDavid was the exact same age it was opening night of his 3rd NHL season and he scored a hat trick in his 128th game for a total of 151 points. Pierre had already played 236 games and had 236 pts by the time he was the same age as Bossy was in his first game. Now it's not exactly Bossy's fault he wasn't able to hit 300 points at a younger age.

(chose Bossy because his and McDavid's birthday's are close to each other which takes out the obvious bias i could have used with a birthday closer to the cutoff date.)

The only reason to use the "youngest to..." is to make these milestones seem greater than they are. Put into context McDavid's tied for 17th fastest to 300 pts. That's pretty damn good. Why try to make it something that it doesn't need to be?
Yeah, Bossy was unlucky because of stupid rules. Lost part of his legacy because of that. Ovechkin was also affected by this as they should've let Florida draft him back in 2003 with that loophole they found. And don't get me started on the stupid lockouts eating up valuable time for the superstars.

Other players just make stupid decisions like Selanne waiting until he turned 22 to enter the NHL. Scored 132 Points his first season. Lost 4 potential seasons in the high scoring NHL because of that. He also sat out 56 games in a row after winning the cup in 2007 because he was too lazy to get back to hockey. Dude would've most likely had more than 800 career goals if he just came to the NHL earlier and had more motivation to play hockey. So Selanne lost a huge part of his legacy because of simple stupidity.

That's why I'm in the minority that think that every player should have the chance to sign and play in the NHL the moment they turn 18. McDavid should've been able to sign in January 2015 and play half of the 2014-15 season, before getting drafted in the summer of 2015. That way he could've padded his stats and would most likely have reached 300 career Points at the end of last season...

Reactions: mitchdisaster

mitchdisaster

Threadkiller
Jan 30, 2007
The Superheater
Yeah, Bossy was unlucky because of stupid rules. Lost part of his legacy because of that. Ovechkin was also affected by this as they should've let Florida draft him back in 2003 with that loophole they found. And don't get me started on the stupid lockouts eating up valuable time for the superstars.

Other players just make stupid decisions like Selanne waiting until he turned 22 to enter the NHL. Scored 132 Points his first season. Lost 4 potential seasons in the high scoring NHL because of that. He also sat out 56 games in a row after winning the cup in 2007 because he was too lazy to get back to hockey. Dude would've most likely had more than 800 career goals if he just came to the NHL earlier and had more motivation to play hockey. So Selanne lost a huge part of his legacy because of simple stupidity.

That's why I'm in the minority that think that every player should have the chance to sign and play in the NHL the moment they turn 18. McDavid should've been able to sign in January 2015 and play half of the 2014-15 season, before getting drafted in the summer of 2015. That way he could've padded his stats and would most likely have reached 300 career Points at the end of last season...

Do a sort of mid season draft like MLB? Not the worst idea i've read around here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad