Mcdavid 17-18 vs Mcdavid 18-19

Who do you think is the best player ?

• Total voters

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
McDavid was on the ice for significantly less than half as many high danger scoring chances per 60 in a season where he scored at basically the same 5v5/PPG? Am I reading this correctly?

His expected goals for was 50% higher, again, in a consecutive season where the same player scored at a nearly identical rate?

No. The individual stats are in regards to him singled out as a player while the team stats are his entire teams' stats when he's on the ice.

In 17-18 (will put difference vs 18-19 in brackets), the Oilers, with McDavid on the ice, per 60 minutes, generated:

- 66.41 shot attempts (+7.63)
- 51.05 unblocked shot attempts (+6.53)
- 36.44 shots (+4.43)
- 3.21 expected goals for (+0.63)
- 34.61 scoring chances (+4.58)
- 15.99 high danger chances (+4.06)

In short, the Oilers were able to generate a ton more offensively with McDavid on the ice in 17-18 versus 18-19 and were also better at suppressing offense against.

I think where you're getting confused is the bottom part (On-Ice Team Stats (Relative)). That's how the Oilers performed with McDavid on the ice relative to other lines.

For example, say McDavid had a 50% CF% in 17-18 and 18-19 but the Oilers had a team CF% of 48% in 17-18 and 52% in 18-19. Even though McDavid had the same CF% in both seasons, his relative performance in 17-18 would be positive whereas his relative performance in 18-19 would be negative.

I apologize if I didn't make that clear in my original post.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This site is something else sometimes. Peoples’ minds will melt and they’ll fall all over themselves propping up players like MacKinnon and Matthews, yet they’ll nitpick a player like McDavid to death.

McDavid has gotten better every year and if not for COVID and recovering from his knee injury, he would have yet again set a new career high in points.

Assuming we get anything resembling a full season, I fully expect Drai to hand over all his hardware at the conclusion of it.

So where's your argument that he's better now? Do you consider a significant drop in 5on5 numbers to be an improvement?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad