Injury Report: McCormick hospitalized with a blood clot in leg

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 42s43 seconds ago
Nolan says McCormick has a blood clot in his leg and they are lucky they caught it when they did. Still at hospital. #Sabres

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 4m4 minutes ago
Sabres center Cody McCormick is in the hospital with a blood clot in his leg and is out indefinitely, coach Ted Nolan says.

Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 4m4 minutes ago
Needless to say, Cody McCormick will be out for a long time. #Sabres.

Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 4m4 minutes ago
The blood clot is in McCormick's calf muscle.

Thats some scary stuff. Hope things go well for Cody.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
How do you know you have a blood clot in your calf? Does it hurt? Are there any warning signs?

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
How do you know you have a blood clot in your calf? Does it hurt? Are there any warning signs?

One symptom (which was once a positive sign of DVT, but is now seen as often inaccurate) is a positive Homan's sign. This is intense calf pain with dorsiflexion of the foot (heel on the ground and lifting toes off the ground). Visualization of a blockage on ultrasound will confirm this diagnosis. Treatment is often several months of blood thinners (anti-coagulants) which would limit his ability to have physical contact. Good for Cody that this was recognized early and hopefully no clots have migrated anywhere.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I had one of those a few years ago. He'll have to be on blood thinners for a while, so they may not let him play for s long time

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
One symptom (which was once a positive sign of DVT, but is now seen as often inaccurate) is a positive Homan's sign. This is intense calf pain with dorsiflexion of the foot (heel on the ground and lifting toes off the ground). Visualization of a blockage on ultrasound will confirm this diagnosis. Treatment is often several months of blood thinners (anti-coagulants) which would limit his ability to have physical contact. Good for Cody that this was recognized early and hopefully no clots have migrated anywhere.

Just returned from the hospital yesterday following a three day examination which included an ultrasound for suspected blood clot causing ankle craziness. Great that they're being very cautious...good luck, Cody!

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
What is with all these hockey players getting blood clots now? Vokoun, Dupuis, Timonen...

At least they caught it before it embolized.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
DVT is no joke, if the clot throws and goes to the lung it becomes a pulmonary embolism and you're pretty much 50/50 to just drop dead.

Mac is probably getting high-potency shots right now to thin the blood and help shrink the clot and get blood flowing past it. I'm assuming the presenting symptom would have been deep cramping pain and swelling/discoloration of the lower leg.

He will have to remain on thinners for at least 3-6 months.

Edit 2: Or what Ron said:

One symptom (which was once a positive sign of DVT, but is now seen as often inaccurate) is a positive Homan's sign. This is intense calf pain with dorsiflexion of the foot (heel on the ground and lifting toes off the ground). Visualization of a blockage on ultrasound will confirm this diagnosis. Treatment is often several months of blood thinners (anti-coagulants) which would limit his ability to have physical contact.

That's if it's something that was provoked by a trauma - which blocking shots and taking slashes is highly likely. Also recent surgeries are a factor. If it's not provoked and is a recurring condition you may end up on thinners for life. Also, once a clot occurs, often the vein valves that are damaged are more susceptible to development future clots (like concussions - there's cumulative damage).

A lot of people (esp hockey players) just dismiss it as normal swelling in the area of the knee. It's a really stealth and really dangerous condition. It's fantastic for Mac that he's getting treatment. I remember when reporter David Bloom died from this covering Operation Desert Storm.

Edit: And so did 1980 :nod:

That's what killed David Bloom when he was covering the Iraq war in 2003. It turned into a pulmonary embolism, and he collapsed and died before he even knew he had it.

Edit 3: Did this whole forum stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? ;)

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
What is with all these hockey players getting blood clots now? Vokoun, Dupuis, Timonen...

At least they caught it before it embolized.
I don't want to get my tin foil hat out, but blood clots are a common occurence among endurance athletes (in cycling, etc.). A lot of the teams/athletes use EPO or other forms of blood doping.

Now, I'm not saying McCormick used performance enhancing drugs, but the sheer number of cases likes this happening in hockey is making me a bit suspicious.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
It's very good that they caught this before it made it's way to a vital organ. Speedy recovery to Cody and hopefully this isn't something he'll have to face again.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don't want to get my tin foil hat out, but blood clots are a common occurence among endurance athletes (in cycling, etc.). A lot of the teams/athletes use EPO or other forms of blood doping.

Now, I'm not saying McCormick used performance enhancing drugs, but the sheer number of cases likes this happening in hockey is making me a bit suspicious.

Isn't is common for older age long-distance flight travelers to have increased risk to experience clotting?

Is frequent air travel, in general, a higher risk factor?

<helping to remove your tin foil hat>

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Isn't is common for older age long-distance flight travelers to have increased risk to experience clotting?

Is frequent air travel, in general, a higher risk factor?

<helping to remove your tin foil hat>
I'm aware of the other factors as well. Traumatic injuries, surgery, etc. Frequent air travel is not a very important factor. It increases the risk, but not to the point where you should have guys with blood clots on every team.

It's just something in the back of my mind. And it's not just because a bunch of NHL players are getting blood clots, it's the bigger picture and the lack of cooperation between WADA and the NHL.

What made me think about it in the first place is the fact that the two Latvian players from our Olympic team, who were caught using PEDs in Sochi, are now both playing pro hockey in North America (1 in AHL, 1 in ECHL). Turns out WADA is 'out of bounds' in North America.

But I don't want to hijack this thread with this sort of talk.

Good luck to Cody and I hope he recovers fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad