Confirmed with Link: McCormick for Beaudin

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Actually was a fan of him in the QMJHL but he has struggled. McCormick was useless to the Sens anyway, can’t believe Dorion gave him a one-way.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A writeup on Beaudin from the start of this season
Prospect Countdown: #12 Jean-Christophe Beaudin

renderTimingPixel.png

#12: Jean-Christophe Beaudin - Last Seasons Rank #7
Many people are aware of JC Beaudin, many of which were a little disappointed after his first pro season, some even a little concerned. While he did slide in my rankings from last season there is absolute no reason to be concerned, at least not yet anyways. Ironically, Beaudin was apart of the first round of reassignments from the Avs today, following a preseason game in which pretty much everyone looked lackluster. Not a huge surprise for him not ending up with the Avs, that was virtually guaranteed, just a little surprising so early compared to some of the guys that are still around. Beaudin was apart of the Avs 2015 draft class. He was selected in the third round at 71st overall. He's listed at 6'1" 185lbs, which looks pretty accurate. When you see him skate and play you can easily see a build/frame that will easily translate to pro hockey.
Beaudin played three full season in the QMJHL for the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. He posted 14 goals and 53 points in 68 games heading into his draft year. That was appealing enough for the Avs to use their third round pick on him. He improved his totals in his second year to 33 goals and 82 points in 58 games, this was actually his best regular season performance as he saw his numbers drop slightly in his final season to 30 goals and 80 points in 65 games. However, an impressive post season even raised hopes and excitement for the prospect as he netted 8 goals and 20 points in 13 games.
It was last year that Beaudin made that jump to pro hockey. Rarely is the jump to pro hockey the smoothest thing in a young players career, and Beaudin hit his fair share of bumps along the way. Between injuries and healthy scratches he only suited up for 64 regular season games. Even more curious to many fans was the fact that he only suited up in 34 games for the Rampage last season. In those 34 games he posted 2 goals and 5 assists. Which when you look at the statline does seem alarming. However for Beaudin stats don't tell the story. Like I said it was a rough transition. For starters he wasn't seeing consistent ice time in San Antonio. The coaching staff did a real good job botching this one. It was puzzling all the way around. He basically split time as either a healthy scratch or as a third or fourth line center fighting for bare minimum minutes playing in a checking role. That's not his style of play. He is a top six style of player and has never been asked to play a defensive checking role like that before. Add in an injury and you can imagine how hard it would be for him to find his rhythm. You actually really started seeing himself play his style of game and play more freely, you could just see his level of comfort rising when he spent more time with the Eagles. He was asked to play a pretty big role for the team as well. In 30 regular season games he scored 7 goals and 27 points. He was vital for the teams playoff push where he scored 18 points in 22 games, helping the Eagles win their second consecutive Kelly Cup.
Like I said, Beaudin's style is definitely fit more for an offensive role. He doesn't have lights outs crazy skill that makes you think you have a a sure fire top 6 guy at the NHL level. But he certainly has the skill to play top 6 minutes in the CHL, ECHL and even AHL in my mind. He's a guy that even if he is used in a consistent third line scoring role I can see him succeed, even at the AHL level. He is definitely more of a play maker. He is a pass first kind of guy. Has the ability to sneak it past the goalie but his vision is definitely a strength to his game. Not the best all around two way forward, when it comes to defensively his game could use some work. That is one spot he will struggle is matching up against other teams top lines when he doesn't have the puck. His skating is about average, obviously good enough to put him in great scoring opportunities but nothing the scouts are going to write home about. He shows flashes of using his above average size to his advantage, you would really like to see him get more physically defensively but you can see him as a young 21 year old figuring out how to use it best.
What to expect: When it comes to wondering what to expect out of Beaudin, short term I think it is a pretty safe bet. For starters I would be shocked to see him play anywhere else than in Loveland with the Eagles this season. Maybe a short stint outside but I think he'll pretty much be a staple up there. Furthermore I think, depending on how the Avs roster shakes out you are looking at him playing a middle 6 role at the center position. Best case scenario I think you are looking at the 2nd line center for the Eagles, worst case, he plays predominately the third line center role. Realistically more so though I would expect him to float back and forth between the two lines. Getting a full season in the AHL will be great for his development and his confidence as well. Both will be very much needed in the continuation of his development and growth. He is a skill player there is no doubt about it. A lot of the projections on his long term outlook will depend on how these next two seasons go for him, especially this upcoming one. I think his highest ceiling is a second liner at the NHL level, but I wouldn't put any money on it. I tink he projects to be more of a third line scoring guy, maybe a middle sixer depending on how deep the clubs are that he plays on. However all things considered, I expect him to take a pretty significant jump forward as far as his development is concerned.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Hey it’s Perrons old Q buddy

Sure why not. Let’s see

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Seems to purely be a way to dump McCormick's remaining 200k on another team, which there's nothing wrong with. I don't know anything about the player coming back, but just on paper looking at his numbers I'm guessing it's mostly a contract spot thing. COL probably wanted to dump a body to add McCormick, Ottawa appreciated not having to pay McCormick 200k.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Seems to purely be a way to dump McCormick's remaining 200k on another team, which there's nothing wrong with. I don't know anything about the player coming back, but just on paper looking at his numbers I'm guessing it's mostly a contract spot thing. COL probably wanted to dump a body to add McCormick, Ottawa appreciated not having to pay McCormick 200k.

This is exactly what I thought too.

Also, you wrote it better than I would have.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
That 1 way contract lol, GM's need a Sean McVay sidelines type guy for when they are handing out contracts to pull them back from the obvious bad ones...we see it every year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Mark Edwards had him 58th in 2015 .. which we know is a strong draft

He may have some untapped upside

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I would not agree with the posts above that he is an offensive player. The kid I saw play in RN was a 200 foot player and he showed that for the Avs minor league affiliates. Our development system is pure junk so I hope yours will do him good. Big fan of his and I hope he proves quite a few of us Avs fans who like him right.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I would not agree with the posts above that he is an offensive player. The kid I saw play in RN was a 200 foot player and he showed that for the Avs minor league affiliates. Our development system is pure junk so I hope yours will do him good. Big fan of his and I hope he proves quite a few of us Avs fans who like him right.

Well, if there's one thing that I think our development system has done well is turn 200' players into third and fourth line regulars at worst. We just can't usually seem to find a way to make the offensive boom or bust type pan out.

Reactions: derriko

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
After all the criticizing I have done on Dorion, he totally redeems himself with that trade and even recover the potential loss with the picks in the Duchene trade. Basically, throw a Perron away, to get a lesser Perron. I'm changing my mind, as long as Melnyk and Dorion are in charge, we are in good hands! Hopefully they extend the very efficient coaching staff. It's not their fault the roster is barely AHL calibre.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
A guy with no NHL future, for a guy with a slim chance at an NHL future...

A nice little trade. Would have been even more interesting if Perron was still here... :)

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Without question, we should be buyers at the deadline now. What do you guys think next year's first rounder could fetch to help us THIS YEAR?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad