Value of: McCarron to the Leafs

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Still havent heard anyone from MTL say if they have fixed his skating.

If they have, he could be a Brian Boyle type circa 2010. (20 goals, around 40 points) if he hits his potential. Thats something teams could be looking for.

If not, he will have a much harder time developing into more than a 4W who can play 3rd line when injuries occur.

Dont get me wrong, he is a nice sized prospect just his skating and a bit of thinking seemed to have held him back at the NHL level so far.

His skating is absolutely not an asset, but I don't think it's holding him down. His biggest issue is conditioning - he gets gassed really quickly.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Oh, you can do that. Plenty of players dominating the AHL. None that I can think of are blue chippers...

Every former 1st rounder that was within +/- 10% of Kapanen's current production in their U21 year in the AHLsince th 04 lockout, not a blue chipper to be found... I mean what a silly notion, to evaluate prospects with a combination of performance and pedigree/ history

JT Miller
Claude Giroux
Bobby Ryan
Jiri Tlusty(1 ppg)
Mikael Granlund
Robert Nillson
Nazem Kadri
Sean Couturier

It's one thing to say that Kap isn't a blue chip if that's a term you reserve for the Nylander's and Marner's of the world that there's only 5-10 of in the league at a given time, but Kapanen is in that next level, and arguably near the top of it.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Every former 1st rounder that was within +/- 10% of Kapanen's current production in their U21 year in the AHLsince th 04 lockout, not a blue chipper to be found... I mean what a silly notion, to evaluate prospects with a combination of performance and pedigree/ history

JT Miller
Claude Giroux
Bobby Ryan
Jiri Tlusty(1 ppg)
Mikael Granlund
Robert Nillson
Nazem Kadri
Sean Couturier

It's one thing to say that Kap isn't a blue chip if that's a term you reserve for the Nylander's and Marner's of the world that there's only 5-10 of in the league at a given time, but Kapanen is in that next level, and arguably near the top of it.

Go ahead and compare him to his peers instead of posting names of players who are no longer prospects.

How does he compare to Laine? How bout Aho?
How bout Puljujarvi?

He is nowhere near a blue-chipper. That would be like Habs fans calling Lehkonen one.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Go ahead and compare him to his peers instead of posting names of players who are no longer prospects.

How does he compare to Laine? How bout Aho?
How bout Puljujarvi?

He is nowhere near a blue-chipper. That would be like Habs fans calling Lehkonen one.

Did you even reaaad the last line of the post? Similar peers would be Vrana and Fiala, players that while maybe not blue chippers are the top of the next level, players that everything (performance relative to league, performance relative to historical peers, tools, and draft pedigree) suggest that they are good bets to be top 6 forwards.

That list was inclusive for the post lockout age. Not a handpicked list of success stories, every 1st rounder regardless of background that produced comparably in the AHL at 20. Those two factors seem fairly indicative of success no?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Did you even reaaad the last line of the post? Similar peers would be Vrana and Fiala, players that while maybe not blue chippers are the top of the next level, players that everything (performance relative to league, performance relative to historical peers, tools, and draft pedigree) suggest that they are good bets to be top 6 forwards.

He's not on their level either.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would prefer to have McCarron over Gauthier as our future fourth line center but I sure as hell wouldn't pay for premium for it. Dime a dozen on both counts and easily acquired through the draft.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Would prefer to have McCarron over Gauthier as our future fourth line center but I sure as hell wouldn't pay for premium for it. Dime a dozen on both counts and easily acquired through the draft.

Agreed

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I keep hearing about the puck moving offense. Did you ever consider that passing the puck is faster than trying to skate with it on your own? Moving the puck via skating with it on your own is impressive but is very overrated and puts the team at risk when the D turns it over. PASS THE PUCK TO THE OPEN GUY... keep it simple

Argue the Emelin/Weber pairing all you want but its very solid and feared to play against. That's what you want in the playoffs. I believe this pairing was a (0) in the game where the Habs lost 10-0 to the Blue Jackets. How impressive is that?

I disagree. We absolutely need a 2nd line center upgrade over Pleky. The D is fine!

Yeah and it was also 0 in the game we won 10-1. You need more offense from a top pair D. Emelin has never been a top 2 D and never will.

edit: And now Markov is injured...

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
McCarron ain't for sale, sorry. His on-ice impact is 3x higher than his trade value. If he pans out to his full potential, he could be anywhere from 4th to 1st line material given his raw abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad