Value of: McCarron to the Leafs

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've been a fan of his for a while, although generally speaking, division rivals don't make trades.

That being said, is there a deal to be had here? Is there anything that Montreal would *realistically* want for him from the Leafs?

Thank you in advance for the constructive thread :)

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
Can't see Montreal accepting a straight swap of prospects as McCarron is exactly what they need, and I don't think there's a feasible deal to be had between the two.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
More then youll want to pay.

1) Habs need him.
2) Habs dont want to play against him within the division the next decade.
3) Why would the habs help the leafs?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i mean are weakness's are Quality moving pucks LHD, good playmaker 2C. after that we are doing decent on the wings but both side could arguably be upgraded.

i dont see anything on the leafs who could 1v1 Mccarron, beside that only thing that we would want from the leafs are untouchable or we would massivly have to overpay; Marner, Nylander wont even mentions matthews, Maybe a deal around kadri but i just dont see any deal that could be made

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He'd be available as part of a JVR deal if Habs really go for it, wouldn't give a whole lot more than a 2nd rounder on top of him to be honest though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
i mean are weakness's are Quality moving pucks LHD, good playmaker 2C. after that we are doing decent on the wings but both side could arguably be upgraded.

i dont see anything on the leafs who could 1v1 Mccarron, beside that only thing that we would want from the leafs are untouchable or we would massivly have to overpay; Marner, Nylander wont even mentions matthews, Maybe a deal around kadri but i just dont see any deal that could be made

Any appeal in these pieces?

Kapanen - top AHL player right now, tearing it up, likely in the NHL if not for other untouchable kids, can only have so many.

Bozak (could be a 2C for you)

Dermott (2nd pairing upside, recent high 2nd rounder)

Valiev (exceeding expectations, maybe 1-2 years off, great pro season last year, continuing)

You guys are likely more looking for pieces to contribute now? May be able to accommodate with money coming back as well.

Ex. Bozak, Valiev for McCarron (just a place holder trade, not an actual proposal)

He'd be available as part of a JVR deal if Habs really go for it, wouldn't give a whole lot more than a 2nd rounder on top of him to be honest though

We'd need more...JVR is doing so well for us right now, it would take an add on beyond a 2nd.

Jake Gardiner

Also would take a lot to part with, not a lot of stability in our defense beyond Rielly, Zaitsev and Gardiner as I am sure you guys have noticed.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

Kapanen - top AHL player right now, tearing it up, likely in the NHL if not for other untouchable kids, can only have so many.

Valiev (exceeding expectations, maybe 1-2 years off, great pro season last year, continuing)

You guys are likely more looking for pieces to contribute now? May be able to accommodate with money coming back as well.

Ex. Bozak, Valiev for McCarron (just a place holder trade, not an actual proposal)

We'd need more...JVR is doing so well for us right now, it would take an add on beyond a 2nd.

Also would take a lot to part with, not a lot of stability in our defense beyond Rielly, Zaitsev and Gardiner as I am sure you guys have noticed.

thats why i didnt mention any D's since you guys are already strugglin on that side, personnaly i dont see bozak as a upgrade on plekanec, even tho i hate plekanec he has been very good in the last couple a years in playoffs shutting down top oppossing lines, honestly heard alot of kapanen but never realy watch the kid as i dont even know what type of player he is, i would need to watch him but tbh yeah if mccarron is traded, its for a current upgrade for a playoff run or an overpay for example if you guys would be willing to part ways with a high skilled top6 prospect in order to acquire a guy like mccarron to stabilize the team, but i just dont see anyteam with an overload of quality young guns with high skillset who would be willing to downgrade for team need. its just too risky

Mccarron is a realy wierd prospect, wich is why i dont think the habs will trade him, he has an unreal work ethic and a will to learn. To me this kid could be gold or could straight up bust. If he doesnt bust it woulnt even suprise me if he ends Montreals Captain even if he woulnt be the most skilled guy on the team!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
More then youll want to pay.

1) Habs need him.
2) Habs dont want to play against him within the division the next decade.
3) Why would the habs help the leafs?

this right here ^^^

he's being groomed to be 3rd line C or a power winger.
habs won't trade 6'6 C & 1st rd pick to the leafs.
the last team (other than maybe Boston) he'd be dealt to

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Dermott
(2nd pairing upside, recent high 2nd rounder)

We're trying to contend now and McCarron is close to cracking our lineup (he's playing his 1st game of the season this friday), why would we trade him for a bunch of young prospects?

I'd add to him to get Kadri but that's about it, nothing else makes much sense.

You're offering us Bozak and a bunch of prospects? Obviously we're not interested.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
thats why i didnt mention any D's since you guys are already strugglin on that side, personnaly i dont see bozak as a upgrade on plekanec, even tho i hate plekanec he has been very good in the last couple a years in playoffs shutting down top oppossing lines, honestly heard alot of kapanen but never realy watch the kid as i dont even know what type of player he is, i would need to watch him but tbh yeah if mccarron is traded, its for a current upgrade for a playoff run or an overpay for example if you guys would be willing to part ways with a high skilled top6 prospect in order to acquire a guy like mccarron to stabilize the team, but i just dont see anyteam with an overload of quality young guns with high skillset who would be willing to downgrade for team need. its just too risky

Kapanen would be the highly skilled wing prospect. 20 years old and has 24 pts in 24GP in the AHL (12g, 12a), fast as all hell. Some of my fellow Leaf fans may give me grief for offering up Kapanen in a deal that doesn't land us a defenseman to help but hey...it's a message board. I love Kapanen but my own 2 cents is I would like to add a different ingredient

We're is trying to contend now and McCarron is close to cracking our lineup (he's playing his 1st game of the season this friday), why would we trade him for a bunch of young prospects?

I'd add to him to get Kadri but that's about it, nothing else makes much sense.

You're offering us Bozak and a bunch of prospects? Obviously we're not interested.

I didn't realize the perception between Bozak and Kadri was so different.

Bozak is our 2C and doing very well, good on face-offs...not trying to offend. I just think he's the odd man out because they gave Kadri a 6 year deal recently...so even if the value was there, I guess I just don't see a trade so soon after an extension, you know?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Kapanen would be the highly skilled wing prospect. 20 years old and has 24 pts in 24GP in the AHL (12g, 12a), fast as all hell. Some of my fellow Leaf fans may give me grief for offering up Kapanen in a deal that doesn't land us a defenseman to help but hey...it's a message board. I love Kapanen but my own 2 cents is I would like to add a different ingredient

i like kapanen too..but like every team in the league looking for size at center, the habs finally have a tantalizing prospect they'll keep and develop

he'll be playing behind galchenyuk within two years

Weberisbetter*

Dec 8, 2016

The Leafs would be stupid to trade any of those pieces especially Kapanen for McCarron. Kapanen looks like he can be a goal scoring Carl Hagelin. As a Habs fan I would run away with any of those prospects for McCarron. He looks like he will be a 25-30 point player with below average defensive play albeit at a massive size at best while Kapanen could be a two way 50 point winger.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
i like kapanen too..but like every team in the league looking for size at center, the habs finally have a tantalizing prospect they'll keep and develop

he'll be playing behind galchenyuk within two years

My thoughts were to put him on RW for Matthews or Nylander. Think he could be dangerous in front of the net but Habs have Shaw and Gallagher to drive the opponents nuts there.

Trust me, I didn't think Montreal fans would be thrilled to push McCarron out the door, I like him and I am sure Montreal fans do too :)

The Leafs would be stupid to trade any of those pieces especially Kapanen for McCarron. Kapanen looks like he can be a goal scoring Carl Hagelin. As a Habs fan I would run away with any of those prospects for McCarron. He looks like he will be a 25-30 point player with below average defensive play albeit at a massive size at best while Kapanen could be a two way 50 point winger.

Everyone pumps their own prospects, I didn't want to be called guilty on that. :)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I dont see mccarron as ever being more than a 3rd liner.

we just drafted a 6'4 kid from Russia to fill that role. also lindberg is 6'3/215 and Gauthier is 6'5/215.

If JVR is moved we need a top 4 RHD back, not a prospect like mccarron

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why do we want him?

Not trying **** off Habs fans, but I would like to know the thought behind this idea?

I really don't know either. maybe the perceived lack of size?

If Bozak is moved and Nylander plays center next year

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Gauthier

no need for mccarron.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

How does it make sense to trade a 20 year old who has 3x the goals and double the points of the 21 year old?

oh. size.

Kapanen has a higher ceiling. Burkie isnt running the team anymore so skill over size.

no deal to be made here

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Watched this guy a fair bit this year and he's not as good as he's made out to be.. Not really interested

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

I didn't realize the perception between Bozak and Kadri was so different.

Bozak is our 2C and doing very well, good on face-offs...not trying to offend. I just think he's the odd man out because they gave Kadri a 6 year deal recently...so even if the value was there, I guess I just don't see a trade so soon after an extension, you know?

First at all, thank you for the interest and for your attitude. I think the way you write is realy respectful and constructive, a thing that becomes rare sometimes here

For the OP, to be honest I follow prospects a lot before the drafts and I was one of many around this panel scared as hell of Kapanen and many clubs were scared actually because he has slided a bit in the rankings. I cant say much about what he becomes in the AHL after being traded by the Pens, but im just inconfortable with him.

For Bozak, even If he's on a 50-55 pts season pace and he could give us precious services, I dont feel he's the man of the situation when bug times will arrive and I see him like a 2 years unworthy rentals and realy doubt he would fit somewhere after.

Like others here, I think a younger Kadri would fit better in the actual structure. We of course, would have to add to McCarron to grab him buy like you said, there's absolutly no chance to happen.

Therefore, I would be ok to take a shot at the Bozak, but taking the leafs 1st in the process

Something like : McCarron + Desharnais + both 2nd rd picks of Washington vs Bozak + 1st

Not sure if the value is there...

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
I've been a fan of his for a while, although generally speaking, division rivals don't make trades.

That being said, is there a deal to be had here? Is there anything that Montreal would *realistically* want for him from the Leafs?

Thank you in advance for the constructive thread :)

Nothing you'd be willing to give up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad