Proposal: McAvoy to Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 26, 2010
It is funny how expandable Nylander has become on HF here. Toronto is giving up too much, and Boston is not trading McAvoy. Simple as that.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Wow, that post just showed "..." knowledge.

I'll let readers choose between "lots of" or "lack of". :badidea:

Right...Because the post in question was a legitimate starting point for an informed exchange...Which is the point of my reply that further exaggerates the faulty premise ie only Auston Matthews is a reasonable starting point in acquiring Charlie McAvoy.

And you'll "let" readers choose nothing because you're not being deferred to in the least.

Good job, sport. :thumbu:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
We don't know what Dermott and Liljegren are yet. As good as McAvoy is and could be, it makes no sense to move those two D pieces from our club WITH William Nylander AND a 1st round pick. This is an overpayment and an easy no from Toronto.
This is the same reason why the Bruins don't make this deal. The Bruins trade the heir apparent to Chara and a young winger on an ELC who may start the season in the top 6 as Krejci's RW for a great winger in Nylander who is asking for $8M, two question marks in Dermott and Liljegren, and a late 1st. As great as Nylander is, the assets to acquire Nylander, who doesn't seem to be budging off of his initial ask from the Leafs, and allocate the necessary cap space for him is not worth it to the Bruins who have a lot of in house top 6 RW options. The Bruins are also deep at defense. The Bruins search for another McAvoy to replace Chara after they make this deal. It just doesn't make sense from a Bruins' perspective.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
This is the same reason why the Bruins don't make this deal. The Bruins trade the heir apparent to Chara and a young winger on an ELC who may start the season in the top 6 as Krejci's RW for a great winger in Nylander who is asking for $8M, two question marks in Dermott and Liljegren, and a late 1st. As great as Nylander is, the assets to acquire Nylander, who doesn't seem to be budging off of his initial ask from the Leafs, and allocate the necessary cap space for him is not worth it to the Bruins who have a lot of in house top 6 RW options. The Bruins are also deep at defense. The Bruins search for another McAvoy to replace Chara after they make this deal. It just doesn't make sense from a Bruins' perspective.

Completely agree. In noting that the OP's proposal was an overpayment by Toronto, it wasn't to suggest McAvoy was otherwise a viable option from Boston. Keystone pieces rarely move. And I don't foresee moving the likes of Pastrnak or McAvoy anymore than I see Toronto moving Matthews or Marner.

Reactions: Absurdity

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don’t understand why the Bruins would trade their grade A piece into several smaller pieces, especially with Nylander holding out on the leafs rn

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Right...Because the post in question was a legitimate starting point for an informed exchange...Which is the point of my reply that further exaggerates the faulty premise ie only Auston Matthews is a reasonable starting point in acquiring Charlie McAvoy.

And you'll "let" readers choose nothing because you're not being deferred to in the least.

Good job, sport. :thumbu:
Take a deep breath.

God had her reasons for creating emojis.

If that was the point of your reply, using one would have made you look wiser...

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
No way Boston trades their future #1 D in McAvoy, he is already playing on Boston top line with Chara. Those of you who think Mcavoy is being sheltered by Chara you obviously didn't watch McAvoy play for Harvard or in the World Cup.

DeBrusk is playing on Boston's top 6. he put up better Point Per Game then Pastrnak did in his first NHL season

Pastrnak first season with the Boston Bruins he has 27 Point in 48 games. 0.56 points per games

DeBrusk first season with the Boston Bruins 43 Points in 70 games with 0.61 points per game

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No way Boston trades their future #1 D in McAvoy, he is already playing on Boston top line with Chara. Those of you who think Mcavoy is being sheltered by Chara you obviously didn't watch McAvoy play for Harvard or in the World Cup.

DeBrusk is playing on Boston's top 6. he put up better Point Per Game then Pastrnak did in his first NHL season

Pastrnak first season with the Boston Bruins he has 27 Point in 48 games. 0.56 points per games

DeBrusk first season with the Boston Bruins 43 Points in 70 games with 0.61 points per game
Are you trying to outzeke Per 60 ?

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Take a deep breath.

God had her reasons for creating emojis.

If that was the point of your reply, using one would have made you look wiser...

God also created paragraphs and He did so with very specific expectations. Chief of which, to convey ideas plainly and clearly and with a sense of editorial integrity.

This to say, you didn't need to provide a third para./sentence when the idea you were attempting to convey was necessarily connected to the second. An idea that has nothing to do with anything other than you feeling slighted at being appropriately corrected.

"God had her reasons for creating emojis". What a shabby little quip, lol.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
To Bruins
Nylander
Dermott
Liljegren
1st rd pick

To Leafs
McAvoy
Donato

Hate both teams but Bruins clearly say no. Didn't Leafs fans see enough of McAvoy to know how good he is. Leafs first is a 22 plus, likely, Dermott can play but he's not close to McAvoy and who knows about Liljegren -- I know he's the second coming of Salming. I'm not doubting Nylander is a top six forward but he's not signed and coming in hot demanding a major contract.

And Donato is no throw in.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Lots of value there, to be sure, but the Bruins probably have no interest in entertaining offers for McAvoy.

To the retort that the Leafs might not want to give up that combo of quality and quantity either, that's valid too.

The challenge for Toronto in the next 18 months is that they badly need to pry away top-end defense talent from another club, ideally cost-controlled for years to come, but teams are rarely in a position to relinquish it. This is yet another proposal where it's the right kind of player to meet TML needs, but the cost is high and the other team isn't going to be interested in giving up that piece anyway. Quality young defense is so rare.
I doubt that 'prying' any top Dman away is on Dubas radar! As you mentioned ,the cost is prohibitive. The Leafs D isn't as bad as a lot of other fans think,was above avg last year and looks to be improved (on paper) this year. This Nylander situation makes for a lot of speculation.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
McAvoy and Donato are both equal to Nylander, Liljegren Dermott and first rounder are throw in, no thank from Boston. Add to that the Bruins have Marchand, Pasta and Bergeron on great contracts, no need to pay Nylander what he will be asking.

I'm not going to weigh in on the trade. I don't think Boston moves McAvoy for pretty much anything. But Donato is absolutely not equal to Nylander. They're the same age and Donato has played 12 games (15 with playoffs).

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Hate both teams but Bruins clearly say no. Didn't Leafs fans see enough of McAvoy to know how good he is. Leafs first is a 22 plus, likely, Dermott can play but he's not close to McAvoy and who knows about Liljegren -- I know he's the second coming of Salming. I'm not doubting Nylander is a top six forward but he's not signed and coming in hot demanding a major contract.

And Donato is no throw in.

I would argue Liljregren and Donato are in the same sphere in terms of value.

So that makes the deal

Nylander
Dermott
1st

If we compare Dermott and McAvoy, Charlie plays much harder minutes but with better teammates and easier starts. He is still clearly the better player, but is the different a 22 year old top line winger and a 1st?

I am not here to say that Boston should do the trade, but people calling it outrageous are being disingenuous or naive. If Nylander was in Boston, I don't think they would want to add Donato+ on top of him to get McAvoy either.

Attachments

• 2018-09-24_21-29-56.jpg
    2018-09-24_21-29-56.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 0

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
If we compare Dermott and McAvoy, Charlie plays much harder minutes but with better teammates and easier starts. He is still clearly the better player, but is the different a 22 year old top line winger and a 1st?
Geez, this Dermott kid must be something. I haven't heard you guys talk up a defenseman prospect like this since Carl Gunnarsson.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I'm not going to weigh in on the trade. I don't think Boston moves McAvoy for pretty much anything. But Donato is absolutely not equal to Nylander. They're the same age and Donato has played 12 games (15 with playoffs).
Let’s wait til they both have NHL time, one decided to finish college. Off to a good start 9 points, five goals in 12 games, like what I see. You tun May change by seasons end.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Geez, this Dermott kid must be something. I haven't heard you guys talk up a defenseman prospect like this since Carl Gunnarsson.

We don't talk him up much at all. I posted stats, they are there for you to look at. Please do turn this into another pissing match with Leaf fans though...that's what we need more of.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I would argue Liljregren and Donato are in the same sphere in terms of value.

So that makes the deal

Nylander
Dermott
1st

I am not here to say that Boston should do the trade, but people calling it outrageous are being disingenuous or naive. If Nylander was in Boston, I don't think they would want to add Donato+ on top of him to get McAvoy either.
So McAvoy plays much harder minutes , with better teammates but has easier starts, how exactly does that work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->