Value of: McAvoy-Draisaitl

dwright5314

Jul 10, 2017
New Hampshire
Let me preface my comments with the fact that as a Bruins fan I wouldn't want to do it because of my love for McAvoy but I am simply curious on how the value is in a 1-for-1 swap, McAvoy for Draisaitl. Obviously Drai is making 8M+ and McAVoy is currently on ELC but will be getting a raise this summer.

How is the value and what adds are there if any?

Reactions: zar

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Let me preface my comments with the fact that as a Bruins fan I wouldn't want to do it because of my love for McAvoy but I am simply curious on how the value is in a 1-for-1 swap, McAvoy for Draisaitl. Obviously Drai is making 8M+ and McAVoy is currently on ELC but will be getting a raise this summer.

How is the value and what adds are there if any?

As an outsider, i don't think McAvoy's value is quite there right now. Maybe revisit next year or the year after.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
I think the bruins don’t do it. The oilers already have McJesus as current and future #1 C, but the Bruins don’t really have any comparables to McAvoy. Obviously they have some good Dmen, but nobody they can look at and say this guy is gonna be our #1 10-12 years from now.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Honestly? I think Oilers add, but not too much. I think Drai can be a 70+ point player over his career with some possible 80+ seasons, but Oilers are still hurting for a top pairing guy. If it was 1 for 1, I would do this myself.

Reactions: 780il

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Would absolutely LOVE McAvoy but not at the expense of Drai. I think their value is pretty similar but losing one of the only competent offensive players is not going to get this team any further.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Neutral fan

Value in a vacuum is probably close, Drai and Mcavoy both play highly coveted positions (70ish+ pt C and top pairing RHD), and Drai would serve as a good succession plan for Bergeron as he ages and his play eventually (although it seems like he's been getting better - offensively at least) starts falling off. I think Drai is slightly overpaid and I don't really expect McAvoy's contract to exceed 6-6.5M (looking at comparable players signing after ELC ie: Seth Jones at a %of cap hit of 7.4%).

Having said that, Id stay put and keep Mcavoy

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s hard to say that Edmonton should be adding, but I’d be more willing to do this as a straight swap if I were an Edmonton fan.

As a neutral fan, I’d give up more for McAvoy.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
A pretty good deal, seems more painful for the Bruins having no one to fill the the potential future role McAvoy will have but losing Drai is pretty painful too.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'd love Drai but not at the expense of McAvoy. Him and Pasta are the only young elite/potentially elite players the Bruins have at this point.

I'll spare Oiler fans my 4 quarters for a dollar proposal but I'd obviously prefer that.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Tough one actually.

If McAvoy played the left side I’d be more comfortable with it. As it is they would have Carlo, Miller and a big blank without McAvoy.

And now that I write that I’m terrified any of them get hurt any time soon lol

Revisit it in a year maybe

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Good job O.P. :thumbu:
It's not often a proposal requires a lengthy pause to mull it over.

As a neutral fan I keep or deal for Charlie.

Reactions: dwright5314

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This is as close as a proposal can get. The value and need are so close that I wouldn’t be surprised if this has been discussed in real life by both GMs

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I think I'd want more for the Oilers, but I don't know if that's fair or not, I haven't seen enough of McAvoy to have a good gauge on what he would bring to us.
The oilers would likely be the one having to do the most tiniest add ever if either side added it wouldnt be Boston.

This reminds me of Jones for Cryjo. I also think the same outcome is likely. I see Drais numbers to fall closer to a 60-65 and see McAvoy being behind only 2 others as a top 3 in the NHL for D under 25 only Jones and Werenski ahead of him. I wanted McAvoy more then any player in that draft except Mathews I thought he was that good. He will win a Norris one day imo.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Value is about even. Depends on need a bit but if we're presuming Draisaitl's contract is an outlier, then I'd lean heavily towards doing it (easily) on Edmonton's end.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Fair deal all around. If Boston had an heir apparent on the blue line equal to McAvoy theyd have to strongly consider it. As it is, both teams would stick with the devils they know. Interesting post, OP.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Wow, I have to say the value is probably right there. Like others have echo'd from a Boston perspective, it would just be too tough to part with the guy you have pegged as your future #1 for the next 10 years.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
As a team that plays the oilers many times yearly, I would be much more afraid of them if they swapped out Drai for McAvoy. Drai is ok but hasn't shown he can drive a solid line on his own.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I don't think it makes sense for either team. Edmonton would be McDavid & nothing else great down the middle. McAvoy is nice, but he wouldn't put Edmonton into cup contention.

Boston would have no true # 1 defenceman. Chara is near the end & is obviously in decline. Having a 1-2 punch of Bergeron & Drai is great, but who will be feeding them the puck? Again, adding Drai doesn't immediately make Boston contenders over the likes of Washington, Tampa, & Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad