Mayweather vs McGregor Pt II

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
LOL at the anti McGregor crowd who think this fight proved anything. So desperate to invalidate anything he does that they even hold a loss in a sport that the guy doesn't participate in as a net negative.

I get now why Floyd didn't want to fight another boxer for his 50th win. Mainly because he would have had a far tougher time beating a legit boxer given his decline.

If anything, this is a black mark on Floyd's record and for me, puts an asterisk next to his 50-0 record. He should have won far easier and more convincingly than a late stoppage because the guy he fought got tired. Sad really.

Keeping that agenda going I see.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Keeping that agenda going I see.

There's no agenda. I just think that this fight was about cash and nothing else. To bill this as a legitimate boxing match is pathetic, IMO, given that one of the guys had never actually boxed professionally. Good for both of them for pulling this sham off on the public though. They made a ridiculous amount of money for what was basically an exhibition.

What's really sad is that Mayweather gets to pretend his 50-0 is real and that he broke Marciano's record in a legitimate way. He didn't. He beat in in the most safe, least risky way, which is gutless, IMO. It deserves a giant asterisk next to the 50.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
That fight was on-script to the letter.

McGregor comes out hard.

Mayweather just eludes.

McGregor gets gassed and hugs up.

Mayweather toys with him.

Controversial finish with McGregor getting saved.

Neither contestant takes any real damage.

Neither of these guys had any reason to make this a "real" fight. Mayweather is retired and undefeated, McGregor is out of his element, and they were both already getting paid lottery-size checks.

I don't know what people were expecting if not exactly this outcome.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

McGregor comes out hard.

Mayweather just eludes.

Neither of these guys had any reason to make this a "real" fight. Mayweather is retired and undefeated, McGregor is out of his element, and they were both already getting paid lottery-size checks.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I take offense at Mayweather pretending this was a real fight though, and breaking a long lasting record in the process. To me, that's some weak sauce right there. :laugh:

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I take offense at Mayweather pretending this was a real fight though, and breaking a long lasting record in the process. To me, that's some weak sauce right there. :laugh:

It's Marketing. Floyd is a great business man as well.

Connor also went into this full tilt like it was a battle and a deep hatred between the two. They had to hype it up to sell tickets.
More tickets and PPV sold = more money for both of them.

The two are probably hanging out today in Vegas.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Whether you guys recall this or not, it's because Floyd said he'd beat McGregor in the octagone during one of their tour stops. Hello? Am I coming in clear?? :laugh:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/con...talk-highlights-watch-stare-down-boxing-video

It's all just trash talk.

These guys are both smart enough fighters to have recognized how the fight last night was going to go. McGregor put in his work and gave it a good shot, but he knew it wasn't realistic that he'd win. They're both smart enough to know how it would go in an MMA match.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There's no agenda. I just think that this fight was about cash and nothing else. To bill this as a legitimate boxing match is pathetic, IMO, given that one of the guys had never actually boxed professionally. Good for both of them for pulling this sham off on the public though. They made a ridiculous amount of money for what was basically an exhibition.

What's really sad is that Mayweather gets to pretend his 50-0 is real and that he broke Marciano's record in a legitimate way. He didn't. He beat in in the most safe, least risky way, which is gutless, IMO. It deserves a giant asterisk next to the 50.

This is pathetic.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
This is exactly what I've been saying all along and why I thought this was a ******** fight from the jump. I was very critical of Floyd for coming back to fight McGregor because of this and not a real legitimate boxer to get his 50th win. It's crap and it has been from the entire start. He's risk adverse and rather than test himself one last time, he took the payday against what was essentially a tomato can for a challenger. This is why I discount his career and his record. He's a little kittykat, always taking the safest, easiest route to victory. This is also why he won't go down as the greatest of all time, despite his record. Like I said all along.

We get it, you don't like him. Stop making a fool of yourself.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

Floyd's never been out to prove he was the best. It's always been to arrange things to make him look like the best.

As with many other people (including McGregor), it's about making bank. Period.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't know how anyone can call that stoppage "controversial", Conor could barely lift his arms and hadn't thrown a punch in like a minute, no need to take more punishment.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

A boxing match about cash!? Well no ****.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We get it, you don't like him. Stop making a fool of yourself.

Where do you rank this "fight" on Mayweather's resume? In your opinion, was this a good performance by Floyd?

The Floyd ball washing is even more insufferable after him winning a fight that everyone in their right minds knew he would win. Is this really something for him and his fans to be proud of? lol

Do you think Usain Bolt would go to a high school track meet and then celebrate winning a race against far lesser competition than he's faced in his past? :laugh:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Where do you rank this "fight" on Mayweather's resume? In your opinion, was this a good performance by Floyd?

The Floyd ball washing is even more insufferable after him winning a fight that everyone in their right minds knew he would win. Is this really something for him and his fans to be proud of? lol

Do you think Usain Bolt would go to a high school track meet and then celebrate winning a race against far lesser competition than he's faced in his past? :laugh:

Which Floyd fans are taking pride from it? most Floyd fans, and people in general, knew this would be easy, he did it easy, that's that. Floyd has already proven all he needs to when it comes to his Boxing prowess, we all knew this was about nothing more than money. It's only ridiculous people like yourself talking about how the 40 year old with 49 fights should have been "testing" himself :laugh:

For somebody who wants to point out how much of a circus it is, you then come in and criticise that he didn't do it easy enough :laugh: seems you're taking it pretty serious when you want to critique his performance in the festivities.

You keep going on about how it was a joke of a fight that was all about the money like you're pulling back the curtains for the rest of us. We all knew this already.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Which Floyd fans are taking pride from it? most Floyd fans, and people in general, knew this would be easy, he did it easy, that's that. Floyd has already proven all he needs to when it comes to his Boxing prowess, we all knew this was about nothing more than money. It's only ridiculous people like yourself talking about how the 40 year old with 49 fights should have been "testing" himself :laugh:

For somebody who wants to point out how much of a circus it is, you then come in and criticise that he didn't do it easy enough :laugh: seems you're taking it pretty serious when you want to critique his performance in the festivities.

You keep going on about how it was a joke of a fight that was all about the money like you're pulling back the curtains for the rest of us. We all knew this already.

Nah, I'm just calling it what it was. And for that to be a fight that helped the guy break a long standing record, well that's a real shame and a black mark on boxing in general.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE

McGregor comes out hard.

Mayweather just eludes.

I bet you anything McGregor woke up this morning amazed by how much money he made from the little abuse he took. Probably wants to be a full time boxer now.

Boxing is a different kind of chess game than the UFC. You got less tools to work with and need to be more selective on the energy you use up. Conor came in this thinking he'd go for the KO early on, where the experienced Boxer in Mayweather was in it for the long run. No surprise here really, it was always more hype than actual equality, but both got paid and are happy so they got what they wanted.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Nah, I'm just calling it what it was. And for that to be a fight that helped the guy break a long standing record, well that's a real shame and a black mark on boxing in general.

You would have deemed it a shame regardless of who Mayweather fought :laugh:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I bet you anything McGregor woke up this morning amazed by how much money he made from the little abuse he took. Probably wants to be a full time boxer now.

Problem with that line of thinking is that if this fight was against someone like GGG he would have left him unconscious.

This is the thing, Floyd is not aggressive, he does not put the hurt on people, especially as a 40 year old with brittle hands. He wins the technical game, he is the master of it. It doesn't look as decisive as someone more destructive, but the fight was completely lopsided. The fight for McGregor was safe in that way, he was never going to win, but it was also very unlikely he would take any serious damage.

Waving his chin around in front of someone like GGG would be a whole different story. Tiring after a few rounds, he would get decimated by the stronger, more aggressive fighters.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
How many other fights have you seen getting stopped in that manner?

It may have been a bit early but McGregor was done. He was comkpletely gassed , woobly , had no more power left in his shots and couldn't even keep his hands up to properly defend himself. Floyd was pounding on him and it was only a matter of time before McG hit the canvas.

Thw way Conor was gassed he wouldn't have came back into this. The ref just saved him from more brain damage.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Problem with that line of thinking is that if this fight was against someone like GGG he would have left him unconscious.

This is the thing, Floyd is not aggressive, he does not put the hurt on people, especially as a 40 year old with brittle hands. He wins the technical game, he is the master of it. It doesn't look as decisive as someone more destructive, but the fight was completely lopsided. The fight for McGregor was safe in that way, he was never going to win, but it was also very unlikely he would take any serious damage.

Waving his chin around in front of someone like GGG would be a whole different story. Tiring after a few rounds, he would get decimated by the stronger, more aggressive fighters.

Oh I agree, it took the type of boxer and ufc fighter to agree to it. Money was the factor here, results went as expected.

There's probably a reason Mayweather isn't fighting GGG or Alvarez next month instead of fighting a UFC fighter in his boxing debut. What would you rather? Go out with a undefeated record making the most coin possible? Or fighting the top boxer in your sport for less coin that could challenge your undefeated record?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
How many other fights have you seen getting stopped in that manner?

Jack vs Cleverly right beforehand was stopped almost the same.. Boxing refs don't mess around, it's not "let's let this guy get knocked out cold", if your not defending yourself they will stop it. Conor was holding on for dear life and there was plenty of time left in the round, they weren't going to let him take 20 more unanswered shots.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
The stoppage was fine, he was gassed, he wasn't throwing any punches, it was only getting worse and worse.

Conor can say all the hard man stuff he wants about wanting to get knocked out, but the ref has a duty of care for these guys. They don't want people to get knocked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad