Maybe a Dumb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

justapantherfan

Mar 12, 2002
Sunrise, Fl
www.simplaying.com
Ok with the players not playing, will a year(s) still be removed from the current contract? I am asking only because I see the number of free agents going up at the end of next year instead of it staying the same.

If I am working this right if a player had a 2 year contract at the start of this year and with no hockey for the season, and hockey starts next season do they only have 1 year left now instead of the 2 years?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
justapantherfan said:
Ok with the players not playing, will a year(s) still be removed from the current contract? I am asking only because I see the number of free agents going up at the end of next year instead of it staying the same.

If I am working this right if a player had a 2 year contract at the start of this year and with no hockey for the season, and hockey starts next season do they only have 1 year left now instead of the 2 years?
Good question...I thought the time Ya$hin was out the judge made him go back and give the Sens the year back...this time with a lock out I am not sure...one of the guys on here will know for sure though, sorry I wasn't much help.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
A link to support an answer would be even better. I think you (justapantherfan) have it correct, but I'd love to see a confirming source.

Go Flames Go*

From when Gary Bettman was on the radio talking about this, I think he said that if the season is cancelled then so will be contracts. So if NHL resumes for the 05/06 season and a player had a 2 year contract going into the 04/05 season, then there is only 1 year left on the deal.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Go Flames Go said:
From when Gary Bettman was on the radio talking about this, I think he said that if the season is cancelled then so will be contracts. So if NHL resumes for the 05/06 season and a player had a 2 year contract going into the 04/05 season, then there is only 1 year left on the deal.

I heard this as well.

mooseOAK*

Anyone who was originally scheduled to be a free agent at the end of this season will be, season or none.

No season will mean that free agents who didn't sign yet like Kariya, Kovalev, etc. will be added to that list. It will be a free agent fiesta.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
sveiglar said:
A link to support an answer would be even better. I think you (justapantherfan) have it correct, but I'd love to see a confirming source.

I think that is correct as well, even though it doesn't seem to make much sense, as the owners are the ones who are locking out the players.

One of the reasons I think it's right is Owen Nolan's contract. Everyone was up in arms when he signed the deal which protected him in case of a lock-out. Because this was such a "non-standard" contract, I assume that all of the other players are "exposed" when it comes to their contracts.

This was also used as a reason why the owners weren't negotiating aggressively to save the season as they were reducing the amount that would get paid under the really bad contracts (Holik, Yashin, Leclair, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad