May ISS Rankings Out

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Nice to see Ritchie in the top 30. I'm a fan of his. Did a great job utilizing his size in-front of the net at the U-18s. Not an overly aggressive player, but if he ever finds that switch to his game he's going to be a gem.

OilerOlli*

Klefbom at 10 is really surprising. Some others like Murphy or Grimaldi, too.
Are these the final ISS rankings or will there come one more in june?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I'm guessing the final one will come in june. The draft is at the end of the month, so coming out with a final ranking one month prior to the draft would be my guess.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This... and why is Hamilton ranked 5th when Huberdeau has been steamrolling the playoffs in the "Q"? I just hope Lou doesn't draft Hamilton over Couturier or Landeskog.

Why wouldn't you want Hamilton over those two? You need the defence a lot more than you need the offence, and Hamilton could easily be the best defenceman in this draft.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Good for Zibby. I predicted he and Strome would rise before they actually did.

^Ya, im hypping myself. Why not? ;)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Why wouldn't you want Hamilton over those two? You need the defence a lot more than you need the offence, and Hamilton could easily be the best defenceman in this draft.

By that logic would you take Alzner over Kane??

Huberdeau could very well end up being the best forward in the draft as well.

Im not saying Hubie miles ahead of Hamilton, just that your logic is flawed.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

So can Murphy, who has a lot more upside then Hamilton as a defencemen, so by that logic New Jersey should definitely take him. Same with Huburdeau. Same with Couturier.

Just comparing the two defencemen, only thing Hamilton really has on Murphy is size and Murphys shown size isn't a problem for him anyway.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This... and why is Hamilton ranked 5th when Huberdeau has been steamrolling the playoffs in the "Q"?

I am not sure if the playoff help Huberdeau's case or not.

21 of his 28 Points were scored against a weak teams(in 9 games), leaving him with 7 points in 9 games against tougher competition.

On the flip side Hamilton's 16 points in 14 games will probably help his final ranking for many teams(especially considering he lead his team).

At this point in time as an Islanders fan I know I rather have Hamilton or Murphy then Huberdeau

Last edited:

birddog*

One thing worth mentioning is the fluctuation in everyone's rankings and how they all differ. Having debates about this guy going here or there is fruitless.

It should be an interesting draft with players ranked anywhere from 12-40th. Real crapshoot.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Nice to see Ritchie in the top 30. I'm a fan of his. Did a great job utilizing his size in-front of the net at the U-18s. Not an overly aggressive player, but if he ever finds that switch to his game he's going to be a gem.

Me too. I think he's one of those guys that will basically double his production in the year after his draft. I will be keeping an eye on him in my keeper league for sure. Might even take him inside the top 20-25.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Is he better than Mcneill?

Personally I would love the rangers to go for Coutourier but that's a pipe dream

In what limited viewings I saw of both McNeil and Scheifele (mainly U-18), Scheifele has more upside but McNeil is a guaranteed NHLer. Scheifele could be a #1 or #2 C... or completely bust. McNeil brings grit, hockey IQ and other intangibles that could allow him to be anywhere from a 2nd/3rd/4th line C. His game is too basic/lacking creativity to ever be a 1st line C.

IMO, the Rags took a safe pick in McIlrath last year. Scheifele could be a Getzlaf type where - if he fulfills his potential 100% - is a guy that (years later) everyone asks "how the hell did this guy go middle of the 1st rd."

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
In what limited viewings I saw of both McNeil and Scheifele (mainly U-18), Scheifele has more upside but McNeil is a guaranteed NHLer. Scheifele could be a #1 or #2 C... or completely bust. McNeil brings grit, hockey IQ and other intangibles that could allow him to be anywhere from a 2nd/3rd/4th line C. His game is too basic/lacking creativity to ever be a 1st line C.

IMO, the Rags took a safe pick in McIlrath last year. Scheifele could be a Getzlaf type where - if he fulfills his potential 100% - is a guy that (years later) everyone asks "how the hell did this guy go middle of the 1st rd."

Thanks man!

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Between the April and May rankings, the only thing of value that has happened for most of these prospects is the U18 WJC. If the ISS has been properly scouting these players then there is no way they should let one international tournament affect their rankings this much.

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Between the April and May rankings, the only thing of value that has happened for most of these prospects is the U18 WJC. If the ISS has been properly scouting these players then there is no way they should let one international tournament affect their rankings this much.

It's understandable that one tournament can have a big impact on the ranking of a player like Connor Murphy who has played very little during the last two seasons, but otherwise I have to agree with you, at least when talking about the top prospects. It seems that they scout NTDP and Swedish prospects mostly just during the international tournaments. The rollercoaster ranking of Tyler Biggs indicates that they put a lot of value on the 5 nations tournament in February and once again reacted greatly during the WU18C’s.

In one of his blog entries the ISS head scout Ross MacLean brought up Armia as an example of a player who could solidify himself as a top 10 pick with a strong WU18C's tournament, while a below average performance might push him out of the first round altogether. To me that tells something about their approach to ranking these prospects. Armia is one of the most heavily scouted Europeans in this draft and has already shown what kind of prospect he is while playing against men, so in my eyes something totally unexpected needs to happen before one youth tournament has that big of an impact to his ranking.

Last edited:

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

By that logic would you take Alzner over Kane??

Huberdeau could very well end up being the best forward in the draft as well.

Im not saying Hubie miles ahead of Hamilton, just that your logic is flawed.

Thank you... I saved about 2 minutes right there ;)

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Seems like ISS ranks players based on their hot and cold streaks. Just an observation but I could be wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad