TBN: 'May Day!' 'May Day!' 25 years ago today, iconic Sabres rallying cry was born

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Want to make a Bruins fan cry? Just play this call by Rick Jeanneret. :cry:

'May Day!' 'May Day!' 25 years ago today, iconic Sabres rallying cry was born

Ask Brad May 25 years later about perhaps the most well-known goal in Buffalo Sabres history and he says he's just like you: Most of his memories come from watching the tape and listening to Rick Jeanneret's iconic radio call.

"I was absolutely almost sleepwalking in that moment," May said last week by phone from his home in Scottsdale, Ariz. "It was a reactive thing. Not thinking. Reacting and doing. That's what they call 'The Zone.' If I really knew what the zone was, I'm sure I would have scored more goals and been a better player."

The "May Day" goal came 25 years ago, on April 24, 1993, in Memorial Auditorium. It gave the Sabres a 6-5 overtime victory and a stunning four-game sweep of a first-round series against the Boston Bruins, Buffalo's first playoff series victory in 10 years.

And while the goal was a virtuoso move by May in burning Hall of Fame defenseman Ray Bourque and freezing veteran goalie Andy Moog, it has stood the test of time because of the word picture Jeanneret painted that night on WGR Radio. The cries of "May Day! May Day! May Day!" have reappeared over the airwaves every spring since then, and the league often uses them as a way to pump the playoffs when they start each April.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
If you listen to the instagators from yesterday, the first hour I think, they have a long chat with May. It is pretty entertaining for us old timers.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I had the VHS of the Habs’ 93 playoff run, and that was a staple of it. I watched that tape about 9383773x and still remember it.

Laidlaw putting baby powder in the hair dryers in the LaK room. Illegal curve.

“I found a quarter, a lucky quarter... and I kissed my stick just before that”

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I watched that one. Took my wife to the game before where Khymlev scored the winner. She tried picking a fight with the Bruins fans in front of us. We weren't married... in point of fact, we weren't even "dating", just friends from work at that point.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I watched that one. Took my wife to the game before where Khymlev scored the winner. She tried picking a fight with the Bruins fans in front of us. We weren't married... in point of fact, we weren't even "dating", just friends from work at that point.
"She tried picking a fight with a Bruins fan" would have made it's way into my vows.

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad