News Article: May 9

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Krejci won't be overlooked anymore
It's tempting to suggest that Krejci's hat trick in Game 4, including an almost casual winner at 13:06 of overtime in which his celebration – essentially a half-fist-pump and a smile – suggested the ending was hardly unexpected to him, was the game of a lifetime. The reality, sometimes lost amid the plaudits dished to his teammates, is that he's been doing stuff like this when the stakes are high for more than two years now.

In 63 career playoff games, Krejci has 25 goals – a number he has never achieved in a single regular season – and 32 assists, with a plus/minus of 25. Two seasons ago, during the Cup run, he was the leading scorer in the postseason with 12 goals and 23 points in 25 games.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/05/bruins_game_3.html

Where are you, Tyler Seguin?
0-0-0.

The magnification of those digits appears larger based on the circumstances, of course, but that is indeed the scoring line for Bruins forward Tyler Seguin through four games of the playoffs against the Toronto Maple Leafs, a series Boston now leads, 3-1, thanks to Wednesday night’s pulsating overtime victory led by David Krejci’s hat trick and Tuukka Rask’s sleight of hand in net

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2013/05/where_are_you_t.html

Tuukka Rask comes through in the clutch in Game 4
If there was ever any doubts about Tuukka Rask, then he pretty much silenced his critics.

Heading into the 2013 season, the big question was whether or not Rask was ready to take the reigns from Tim Thomas. He responded with a resume worthy of a Vezina Trophy finalist going 19-10-5 with a league leading five shutouts to go along with his .929 save percentage (third among goalies) and a 2.00 goals against average (fifth).

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/...y/2013/05/tuukka_rask_comes_through_in_t.html

Rask leaves Reimer, Cuthbert seeing stars
Hat trick for David Krecji.

Hat's off to Tuukka Rask.

But the juiciest moment of Wednesday's 4-3 Bruins overtime victory at Toronto may have occurred in the significant others' section of the Air Canada Centre.

Actress Elisha Cuthbert, who is the fiancee of Maple Leafs’ defenseman Dion "Big Mistake" Phaneuf, wasn't too happy about her beau's team losing to the Bruins.

And she apparently didn’t enjoy getting a glaring "I can't believe your guy did that" look from April Reimer, the wife of goalie James Reimer, either.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/..._cuthbert_reimer_rask_krejci_maple_leafs.html

Dion Phaneuf shoulders blame for Leafs’ loss
“I tried to jump to keep the puck in,†the Leafs’ captain said. “Obviously, [Horton] chipped it by. It’s a bad mistake at a bad time to make it. I take responsibility for making a bad play. It’s unacceptable. It cost us the game.â€
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey...-leafs-loss/6bVUR2ZU6TTmkiVoFIN1bI/story.html

Krejci's OT winner gives Bruins 3-1 series lead
TORONTO — Wins are not supposed to come easy in the playoffs and, after picking up a couple of three-goal victories over the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first three games of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals, the Bruins had to put on their hard hats to win last night.

There were a few fresh scars on some B’s players, but those blemishes could not hide the smiles after David Krejci scored his third goal of the game at 13:06 of overtime to lift the Bruins to a 4-3 victory at Air Canada Centre.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...rejcis_ot_winner_gives_bruins_3_1_series_lead

Bruins get the break they need
In overtime, it was the Leafs who were storming and putting pressure on Tuukka Rask with one testing shot after another.

It’s amazing, though, how many OT games end just as last night’s did. One team is pressing hard, seemingly on the verge of a goal, and boom. The other team gets one good chance, and it’s over.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...2013/05/harris_bruins_get_the_break_they_need

Teammates stand up for Vezina-less Tuukka
“I think Tuukka is definitely one of those goaltenders who should be among those three. I think him being left off will just drive him to be that top goalie,†Daniel Paille said. “He produces every night and he works hard every day. It’s unfortunate that he didn’t (get nominated) but one day he will be recognized. I guess we can put a little bit of blame on ourselves for not helping him out enough, because he definitely helped us out a lot.â€

Andrew Ference said he had no idea what kind of seasons the other goalies had, but the defenseman feels Rask was excellent in more ways than one.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...eammates_stand_up_for_vezina_less_tuukka_rask

Zdeno Chara simply does it all
TORONTO — Zdeno Chara is pretty much a dominant force whenever he plays, but last night the world’s largest free-standing defenseman was at the heart of all things — good, bad and ugly.

The good was plentiful as Chara drew assists on all four goals in managing the rare feat of getting more points than David Krejci in the Bruins’ 4-3 overtime win and a 3-1 lead in the series against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

That came after the bad, a disastrous first period when he was on the ice for both Toronto goals as the Leafs jumped to a 2-0 lead.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2013/05/zdeno_chara_simply_does_it_all

Kessel paying no attention to the attention
After being invisible in the series opener, Kessel scored the winning goal in Game 2 and added another marker in the Bruins’ Game 3 victory.

On the debit side, his embarrassing giveaway led directly to a shorthanded B’s goal in Game 3, and he took an unsportsmanlike penalty that deprived the Leafs of a power play.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...l_kessel_paying_no_attention_to_the_attention

Bruins push Leafs to brink
TORONTO - It was close, so excruciatingly close, to being worth the wait.

The wait of nine long years for playoff hockey to electrify the Air Canada Centre like it did throughout a long and brilliant Wednesday night.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/Toronto/2013/05/08/20807296.html

LEAFS' FRASER HAS SURGERY
TORONTO -- Leafs defenceman Mark Fraser, hit in the face with a puck, has undergone surgery to repair a fracture between the eyes and the cranial area.

Toronto coach Randy Carlyle says the burly blue-liner is resting at home and was texting and talking to his teammates Thursday morning.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422776

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The criticisms of Seguin are scathing, but fair IMO.

He's working hard, but he's back to playing a little timid. He's half bailing/half committing on plays to avoid getting crunched.

He's done it on plays to get the puck out.
He's done it around the net in the offensive zone.
He's done it when he should have gotten to a puck first.

He's not willing to pay the price right now. He wouldn't have made the play Horton made to spring Krejci for the OT winner. He would have started for it, then half-turned away and fell. Seguin is more skilled than Horton. He's faster. I'd even say he's a harder worker up and down the ice. But he's not tougher, and playoff points come at a cost.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
The criticisms of Seguin are scathing, but fair IMO.

He's working hard, but he's back to playing a little timid. He's half bailing/half committing on plays to avoid getting crunched.

He's done it on plays to get the puck out.
He's done it around the net in the offensive zone.
He's done it when he should have gotten to a puck first.

He's not willing to pay the price right now. He wouldn't have made the play Horton made to spring Krejci for the OT winner. He would have started for it, then half-turned away and fell. Seguin is more skilled than Horton. He's faster. I'd even say he's a harder worker up and down the ice. But he's not tougher, and playoff points come at a cost.

Bill I was thinking this last night each time he got close to the puck and any leaf was close. He seems to be afraid of contact, and in this league you get it each night. Can you teach courage?

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Agreed on the timidity with Seguin. I've said it before- I wonder if what we see is all we'll ever get with him. Again, that's not the end of the world, he's still a very good player, but I wonder if he'll ever make the jump to elite status that seems attainable for a guy with his skillset.

Also, thought this was hilarious from the Herald/Kessel article.
“We came together there, and I wasn’t sure what was happening,†Marchand said, adding that he started to drop his gloves. “[Kessel] was shoving and he told me before he’d go with me any time. So I wasn’t sure what was happening, and I wanted to be prepared.â€

Gotta think Marchand would kill him, and that the 2 of them going would spark a riot between the 2 teams.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Bill I was thinking this last night each time he got close to the puck and any leaf was close. He seems to be afraid of contact, and in this league you get it each night. Can you teach courage?

It's a funny situation because I've seen him be willing to throw hits. It's taking a hit that he's taken a step backward on IMHO.

That said, I don't know if you can teach it, but a player can grow and get used to it. Kessel was worse than Seguin (one of the reasons they got rid of him) and while he's not killing people out there, he has gotten better at that part of the game.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
It's a funny situation because I've seen him be willing to throw hits. It's taking a hit that he's taken a step backward on IMHO.

That said, I don't know if you can teach it, but a player can grow and get used to it. Kessel was worse than Seguin (one of the reasons they got rid of him) and while he's not killing people out there, he has gotten better at that part of the game.

Kessel has serious speed when he tries, and it seems like they have a hard time being into position to actually check him.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
In 2011, Krejci had one goal in the opening series with Montreal. One. We all know what happened after that.

In the playoffs, one line is shut down and another steps up. A player is muzzled in one series and comes alive in the next, or vice versa. That might be something to keep in mind.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

He's never going to be a mucker, but hopefully he learns what he's got to do to get to the next level. Lots of guys are effective at avoiding contact but staying with the play (Erik Karlsson comes to mind), just needs to figure out what works for him. And for gods sake use those wheels and drive wide more.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
In 2011, Krejci had one goal in the opening series with Montreal. One. We all know what happened after that.

In the playoffs, one line is shut down and another steps up. A player is muzzled in one series and comes alive in the next, or vice versa. That might be something to keep in mind.

Last night was the only game where I've been disappointed in the Bergy line in terms of offensive performance. Games 1 and 2 they were terrific albeit not producing, 3 they were ok, last night I thought Seguin and Marchand really struggled.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

That's what this team is all about,...That's why I hate when certain guys are killed here while others always get a pass..

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Dead on Artemis Dead on.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004

I assume you're referring to Seguin? I wouldn't say he's been muzzled this series though. To me that implies they've keyed in on him and he's not gotten his chances. He's had plenty, he's just been off.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go off for 3 tomorrow night either.

deliciouspie

the best post »»»»»
Oct 22, 2008
sf, austin, here
seguin still hasn't learned how to position his body to protect the puck particularly well and instead relies on speed

which is all well and good, but we have one daniel paille, it'd be great to have a different player

actually that's not fair, paille hits and usually protects it well enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad