Injury Report: May 2021: Giroux (broken foot), Hayes (core-muscle surgery), Braun (foot) + Foerster (collarbone)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
He had like half of his points this season in the first 7 games :laugh:

He is young and at the risk of sounding callous, I wonder if he did see the season as lost for the team at some point and that affected how he played. Again, there is a human perspective but from a hockey angle, would he have played differently had the season been more meaningful? But if we go by "at the beginning" in a literal sense then the point is moot.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He is young and at the risk of sounding callous, I wonder if he did see the season as lost for the team at some point and that affected how he played. Again, there is a human perspective but from a hockey angle, would he have played differently had the season been more meaningful? But if we go by "at the beginning" in a literal sense then the point is moot.

Watching Patrick, he definitely was tentative in the first part of the season, but by March he was going to dirty areas and in April, I saw no sign he was holding back. He did seem like his timing was off, he would be a half second slow in his decision making. Migraines? COVID fog? Just adjusting to playing again?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Deeper comments here:

Flyers’ Nolan Patrick is attempting to put this trying season behind him: ‘I came in behind the eight-ball.’

“Maybe a little bit at the start,” he said, “I think when you’re dealing with an injury that long, it’s always on your mind a little. At the start of the year, I was thinking about it quite a bit. It probably affected my play a little bit, but I’m back to 100% health now, so it’s nice.”

“It’ll be the most important offseason of my life,” said Patrick, a pending restricted free agent. “The last couple years have been tough, so I’m looking forward to having a healthy summer of training. ... I think having a full offseason and a full camp, and hopefully back to normal next year will help.”

An offseason of conditioning and a normal training camp, Fletcher believes, will boost Patrick’s game. This season, “he wasn’t skating the same, particularly in back-to-back games,” Fletcher said. “You could see a drop-off in his skating. I do think there’s some things that could be improved just by being healthy and having a normal summer. Our expectation is that he has a great summer, gets a little stronger, and gets a little more explosive.”​

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Deeper comments here:

Flyers’ Nolan Patrick is attempting to put this trying season behind him: ‘I came in behind the eight-ball.’

“Maybe a little bit at the start,” he said, “I think when you’re dealing with an injury that long, it’s always on your mind a little. At the start of the year, I was thinking about it quite a bit. It probably affected my play a little bit, but I’m back to 100% health now, so it’s nice.”

“It’ll be the most important offseason of my life,” said Patrick, a pending restricted free agent. “The last couple years have been tough, so I’m looking forward to having a healthy summer of training. ... I think having a full offseason and a full camp, and hopefully back to normal next year will help.”

An offseason of conditioning and a normal training camp, Fletcher believes, will boost Patrick’s game. This season, “he wasn’t skating the same, particularly in back-to-back games,” Fletcher said. “You could see a drop-off in his skating. I do think there’s some things that could be improved just by being healthy and having a normal summer. Our expectation is that he has a great summer, gets a little stronger, and gets a little more explosive.”​
Wait till he finds out gyms are closed in Manitoba this month, maybe longer, due to covid.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Maybe I’m the only one but it bugs me that some players who underperformed seem to be getting the blame for the club’s poor play while the coach and his staff a getting a free skate.
Coaches know that if players do poorly in many cases it was their fault since they were put them into positions where they wouldn’t succeed. It’s one of the first responsibilities for a coach. If the players are failing, put others in there who might succeed and put the failed players into better situations. That might even mean changing schemes of play for the team. I didn’t see much of that with the Flyers this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe I’m the only one but it bugs me that some players who underperformed seem to be getting the blame for the club’s poor play while the coach and his staff a getting a free skate.
Coaches know that if players do poorly in many cases it was their fault since they were put them into positions where they wouldn’t succeed. It’s one of the first responsibilities for a coach. If the players are failing, put others in there who might succeed and put the failed players into better situations. That might even mean changing schemes of play for the team. I didn’t see much of that with the Flyers this season.

You often don't have options mid-season, AV did move Giroux to center, then Laughton back to center and Patrick to 4C then 3RW and 4RW. But every move has consequences to other lines. They were just hoping that Patrick would have the light go on. Same with Lindblom, he'd have a great game then go MIA for two games, so what do you do? Bench him for Twarnynski? Or hope he turns it around? When Frost went down, the available options were limited, Laczynski wasn't available until the end of the season (wanted to break him in the AHL, same with Allison, before throwing them to the wolves).

This is why a normal season is so much easier, you'll have AHL players on the ice in October, and by January you'll have a feel for which, if any, are prepared to step in the second half of the season if needed. So for example, if Zamula starts at LHV next year, if they have an injury on defense, he'll be primed to step right in. Makes life a lot easier when you have a "reserve army of the underemployed" in the AHL.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Watching Patrick, he definitely was tentative in the first part of the season, but by March he was going to dirty areas and in April, I saw no sign he was holding back. He did seem like his timing was off, he would be a half second slow in his decision making. Migraines? COVID fog? Just adjusting to playing again?
Agreed, he was hitting more than ever by season’s end, which was encouraging. He will be fine next year.

Reactions: Devonator

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Sam has done this before. You can’t separate a collar bone. You can fracture it or you can separate the AC or sternal joint with that collar bone. I would like to know which one but it seems like he escaped big time given the post hit reports.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Sam has done this before. You can’t separate a collar bone. You can fracture it or you can separate the AC or sternal joint with that collar bone. I would like to know which one but it seems like he escaped big time given the post hit reports.
Right! He has one job ffs.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Had no clue you could separate a collarbone.

I did cursory research and came across the tidbit below in at least a separation of the collarbone to the shoulder. Whether it pertains to the injury in discussion is possible but the description of impact is presented:

Is Shoulder Separation Painful? Pictures, Symptoms, Treatment, Recovery Time (emedicinehealth.com)

A shoulder separation occurs when a sharp blow or a fall causes the collarbone (clavicle) to be forced away from the bone of the shoulder (the acromion of the scapula). Usually a sports injury, a shoulder separation is more common in contact sports such as football, rugby, hockey, or wrestling.​

Last edited:

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
My first thought was he was playing not to make a mistake. Thinking too much instead of just playing. Like he was looking over his shoulder.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Wait till he finds out gyms are closed in Manitoba this month, maybe longer, due to covid.
Maybe he should stay in Philly. That is what I would do. Stay here, train here, try to get some of the other young guys to do the same. The team can set up some ice time for everyone. Get together with the young guys who are staying and hit the beaches a little for some fun.

Reactions: BernieParent

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I have a totally torn AC joint in my left shoulder, known as a third degree shoulder separation. All three ligaments that hold the shoulder together are torn. Rehab to strengthen the rotator cuff which will keep the shoulder in place. The docs said they only do surgery if you need to lift a lot over your head. Having surgery will cause bad arthritis later in life. For me the hard part was keeping up with the rotator cuff work for the rest of my life. I am not interested in spending my time doing that as I have gotten old, so the shoulder is a little loose. I am a teacher, so no need to work over my head. I could still shoot a slapper after the rehab.

I'll tell the story because it is kind of funny.
I stupidly tore my AC joint in a game of Thanksgiving touch football in my early 40s when I tripped over my own two feet making a cut in a pass pattern. I landed perfectly on my left shoulder, heard it go pop, and could no longer move my left arm. The guys asked if I was alright, and I said no, I think I am done for the day, drove home and had to call my Dad to come to my house because I couldn't take off the layers of sweatshirts. The hospital gave me a sling and painkillers and the next day the Ortho told me I was too old to play football, even touch. He said playing sports once you are past 40 is very risky for your bones. Meanwhile all the other docs say exercise, play a sport to stay healthy. I took up Akido in my 50's but the shoulder and the herniated disc was a little hard to overcome with all of the falling. I guess chess is the best sport now. Exercise the mind.

Foerster should alright though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad