Movies: Maximal Scenes or Music Videos: Seel

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Let's try something different here. So last year we had a rash of threads on songs about a specific topic and while that may have been a bit much, I thought it would be fitting to take on an entirely different tack. This thread revolves around movie or television scenes that maximally express a specific emotion and I thought it would be more fun to explore the more obscure emotions just to make it challenging and perhaps an opportunity to learn about these odd corners of emotions.

The first emotion we're going to discuss is Seel.

In German class, my German teacher told us that there was no English word for Gemütlichkeit. Of course, I got curious and knew that English was related to German so surely there was a word that generally means it. Gemütlichkeit generally transliterates to Moodliness which doesn't mean anything. However, the Danish word Gemytlig is comparable. Dutch, a closer related language has Gezelligheid which is closer to Silliness. Silliness itself is based of the root of Seel, now only a dialectic English word which generally means happiness. But here we are going to use it to refer to the cozy form of happiness, as in a good time or moment of bliss and the people experiencing it know this.

For example, the Dutch hit "How Do You Do" is a good showcase of Dutch gezelligheid to English listeners and viewers. This is by no means is maximal, but is a good definition for the English-speaking audience.

But what of the English concept? Let's see what we can find.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
  1. Seel
    sēl, n. (prov.) good fortune, happiness: opportunity, season.—n. Seel′iness.—adj. Seel′y (Spens.), silly, innocent: fortunate, happy, good: simple: trifling.—n. good fortune: bliss: (Scot.) opportunity. [A.S. sǽl, time—sǽl, propitious.]

I guess you're looking for something like this:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad