Maxim Ouellet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
How has he done this year? Do you still feel he's a legitimate top 5 goaltending prospect?

How would you rank him in comparison to let's say:

Toivonen
Leighton
Ahonen
Blackburn
Ward
Leclaire

Any insight would be appreciated.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Mike8 said:
How has he done this year? Do you still feel he's a legitimate top 5 goaltending prospect?

Toivonen
Leighton
Ahonen
Blackburn
Ward
Leclaire

top 5? I dunno that could be a stretch, top 10, yes. But he's not going to be taking over the #1 spot in washington for a few years because the caps aren't ready. Provided everyones healthy (blackburn included i'd rank it like this)

Toivonen
Leclaire
Blackburn
Ouellet
Ward
Ahonen
Lehtonen

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Mike8 said:

Toivonen
Leighton

Ward

Ya hes definetley still a top 5 goalie in my opinion.

Dan Blackburn - Hes was brought into the league too fast and now he has to refine his skills if he wants to be a 1st stringer

Ari Ahonen - Good goalie, but hes behind Martin Broduer who plays 65+ games a season, ahonen likely to season any action unless hes traded

Pascal Leclaire - He also plays behind a pretty good young goalie in Marc Denis, hasnt shown that he can handle being a #1 goalie

Hannu Toivonen - descent goalie but with the recent success of Raycroft doesnt look like Toivonen will be counted on as a #1 goalie maybe a 1a at best IMO

With that in mind looks like Ouellet should be getting more and more time to play for the Caps as they are building younger..

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
hah, maxime is definitely top 5, maybe #5.

he is a stud, and he will be an awesome NHL goalie, maybe starting next year as he shares the role with Olie. the caps are just completely stacked at the goaltending position. also, he is only 23 years old!!! Raycroft finally got his starting bid this year and he is 24 years old. :D

edit: take my opinion with a grain of salt because im a little 'biased' ;)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mike8 said:

Toivonen
Leighton
Ahonen
Blackburn
Ward
Leclaire

Ouellet had 10 shutouts in 14 wins for an offensively starved Portland team. He helped lead the Pirates to a 1-0 series lead over the #1 Hartford Wolf Pack last night.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
rnyquist said:
top 5? I dunno that could be a stretch, top 10, yes. But he's not going to be taking over the #1 spot in washington for a few years because the caps aren't ready. Provided everyones healthy (blackburn included i'd rank it like this)

Toivonen
Leclaire
Blackburn
Ouellet
Ward
Ahonen
Lehtonen

I'd have Lehtonen at #1 in that group:

Lehtonen
Ouellet
Toivonen
Blackburn
Ahonen
Leclaire
Ward

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Bluenote13 said:
I'd have Lehtonen at #1 in that group:

Lehtonen
Ouellet
Toivonen
Blackburn
Ahonen
Leclaire
Ward

yup thats just about how i would rank them maybe Leclaire and Ahonen would switch for me cause i just dont see Ahonen making it as a 1st stringer unless one of two things happen, Broduer retires in like 5-8 years or B Ahonen is traded even then he would still have to prove himself as a #1

gburg2015

Apr 20, 2004
Washington DC
I think Oullet is still a top five prospect. I watched him when he played for the Caps this past year and he did very well. He played 6 games and had a save % of 910 and a GAA of 3.12 and a shutout, which are good numbers for anyone on anyteam. But are great numbers for a guy on the Capitals last year. He will get a lot more playing time this upcoming season for sure. The main reason why he didn't play more last year is because it would have cost the Caps more to have him on the roster than other guys like stana and charpentier. But the caps don't have money issues anymore so he should get plenty of playing time (although he is still not ready to be a full time starter).

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
I'd still rank Maxime a top 5 prospect in the NHL. He has not had an impact in the league yet, but I really like how he's being brought along carefully and slowly.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
CapitalPunishment55 said:
LOL! thats actually pretty damn funny.
Lehtonen is certainly the best goalie prospect in the NHL, i think even better than marc-andre fluery(sp?).

I agree.

SwOOsh*

CapitalPunishment55 said:
LOL! thats actually pretty damn funny.
Lehtonen is certainly the best goalie prospect in the NHL, i think even better than marc-andre fluery(sp?).

I also agree, though I think Fleury will become a very good goalie himself. Maxime has played great so far in the playoffs

29 Ouellet, Maxime 2 120:00 2 0 0 2 1.00 57 .966

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Ahonen will get his chance, he has been getting shell shocked for years now. When he starts playing for NJ he is going to think he is god or something :)

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Mike8 said:

Toivonen
Leighton
Ahonen
Blackburn
Ward
Leclaire

About a month ago my rankings of these goaltenders would have been totally different than how I rank them today. The reason being Cam Ward. Recently I drove to Red Deer to watch the Rebels play in the playoffs, and am going back on Sunday to watch them again. Anyway, I thought Ward was a product of the Rebels defensive system but I was wrong.

While the Rebels are a very good team, the main reason they are one of the top teams in the CHL is definatly Cam Ward! He is far and away they're leader, without him they would suffer way more that if you took Phaneuf off the team. After the next game I go to I will make a post about Cam Ward.

Anyway here is my list:
1.Ward
2.Ouellet
3.Toivonen
4.Blackburn
5.Leclaire
6.Ahonen
7.Leighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events