Maxim Kitsyn to Mississauga

danhockeyme

Nov 28, 2006
the beach
This may seem like an odd comparison especially for a russian but he plays like Ryan Smyth. Ive had the pleasure of watching Smyth live for a year+ and on tv through out his career..Kitsyn doesnt seem to do much razzle dazzle as a typlical russian forward but he makes gourgious passes has great net presence and always moves to the right place off the puck. He seems to make players around him much better by creating space for them to move and placing the puck or the play where it needs to be. Of course Ive only watched him in this tourney so any other input or disputes with my statements would be appriciated.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I hope you are right. The history of Russians in the CHL does not encourage me much though.

Kings have 3 Russians in the system- hopefully they get the development template down sooner rather than later. Loktionov also played a significant role in the Memorial Cup and seems to be progressing nicely, with several appearances in the NHL and a top line role in the AHL right now. Seems the Kings want Kitsyn to follow the same progression.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Kings have 3 Russians in the system- hopefully they get the development template down sooner rather than later. Loktionov also played a significant role in the Memorial Cup and seems to be progressing nicely, with several appearances in the NHL and a top line role in the AHL right now. Seems the Kings want Kitsyn to follow the same progression.
Well in the end, it only matters how do they in the NHL. I think that's what Peter25 meant.

Lot of Russians who developed nicely in juniors/AHL but taking the final step is another thing.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Well in the end, it only matters how do they in the NHL. I think that's what Peter25 meant.

Lot of Russians who developed nicely in juniors/AHL but taking the final step is another thing.

Agree, but what gives a prospect the best chance to succeed at the NHL level-- the juniors/AHL route or KHL? For the Russians who failed in juniors/AHL, were they talented enough in the first place? Would playing in the KHL have benefitted them more? I would argue developing in North America would benefit potential NHL players more than the KHL on many different levels and gives them the best chance at -- but does not guarantee-- success.

Lots of Americans/Canadians develop nicely in juniors/AHL as well but don't make the pros. That's the nature of the NHL being the best hockey league in the world.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
This is such a stupid move by him. When will they learn?

Normally I would agree but I think with Kitsyn its different. He's already 19 and I believe the adjustment will be a little bit easier due to his age and experience in the KHL compared to say a 17 year old. Also someone mentioned before that his season will end in February and if that is the case I don't see the problem in getting the most out of the season by playing longer and getting acclimatized early. Half a season plus playoffs and memorial cup shouldn't affect him too much I would hope.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
This is such a stupid move by him. When will they learn?

Agreed. I hate to say that, but Kitsyn showed almost zero at the pro level if we count a couple of games off, in one he scored a hat-trick, another time last year scored a beautiful, highlight reel goal (similar to Kuznetsov's rush against Finland). And that's all. Look at Kuznetsov and Tarasenko, they had the patience to wait a good chance in the KHL, it's paying off, Kitsyn so far, unfortunately, looks only like a case of early success due to his big frame.
I do hope I'm dead wrong.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Agreed. I hate to say that, but Kitsyn showed almost zero at the pro level if we count a couple of games off, in one he scored a hat-trick, another time last year scored a beautiful, highlight reel goal (similar to Kuznetsov's rush against Finland). And that's all. Look at Kuznetsov and Tarasenko, they had the patience to wait a good chance in the KHL, it's paying off, Kitsyn so far, unfortunately, looks only like a case of early success due to his big frame.
I do hope I'm dead wrong.

Yep. He should have worked hard in Russia to improve his skills. He would have played for Metallurg regularly next season. Now he goes to a league where the level of play is a lot lower and the level of training might also be below that of his Metallurg team.

This does NOTHING to improve his development.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I'd rather have him training HARD like Orlov did in the same team in the latest 2 years. Orlov now plays 1st line there. Where is Kitsyn? I'm not saying he doesn't train hard, I just say that KHL > CHL in terms of development.

It's CHL for a few months...I bet the Kings move him to the AHL next year just like they did with Lokitonov. Not to mention, Kitsyn's game is much more "North American" then many Russians, atleast imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad