Max Pacioretty: The game's most underrated sniper

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
well if we want to play that game then Joe Pavelski imo is the most underrated sniper in the game.

31 in 82, 41 in 82 and currently at 27 in 51

And I don't think anyone would argue with you. But this isn't the "Joe Pavelski is underrated" thread. Nor is this a "Pacioretty is an awesome goal scorer and everyone else sucks" thread so I'm not sure why you're getting defensive about people "playing games".

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Most underrated sniper? Probably.

In the same league as those elite scorers? No. But he's very good.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
well if we want to play that game then Joe Pavelski imo is the most underrated sniper in the game.

31 in 82, 41 in 82 and currently at 27 in 51
Paccioretty has done it with one of the worst centers in the league.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
And I don't think anyone would argue with you. But this isn't the "Joe Pavelski is underrated" thread. Nor is this a "Pacioretty is an awesome goal scorer and everyone else sucks" thread so I'm not sure why you're getting defensive about people "playing games".

I guess I don't see how he is underrated. Everyone knows MaxPax is a top tier sniper and everyone talks about him. while Pavelski on the other hand isn't a common name you hear about in the hockey circles I travel.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I guess I don't see how he is underrated. Everyone knows MaxPax is a top tier sniper and everyone talks about him. while Pavelski on the other hand isn't a common name you hear about in the hockey circles I travel.

Find different circles, Pavelski isn't exactly some hidden talent. He's an elite scorer and has been for a while now.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Find different circles, Pavelski isn't exactly some hidden talent. He's an elite scorer and has been for a while now.

Most people know Pavelski is a good goal scorer, but I don't think a lot of people realize he's top ~10 depending on how you rank them. He's definitely more underrated than Pacioretty. No one on the Habs is underrated.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

maybe I hangout with too many habs fans.... probably bad company :laugh: I kid I kid. Pavel has as many good goal scoring seasons as Max which imo confirms that maxpac isn't underrated but if it is just a title thing that is needed....then have at it.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Is he the best bang for your buck in the league? That contract is awesome especially if he can produce 30+ goals over the life of it

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
maybe I hangout with too many habs fans.... probably bad company :laugh: I kid I kid. Pavel has as many good goal scoring seasons as Max which imo confirms that maxpac isn't underrated but if it is just a title thing that is needed....then have at it.

Hey, I'm a Habs fan too.

It's less the team you cheer for and more how aware and open you are to other teams.

Their are good and bad fans of every team.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Hey, I'm a Habs fan too.

It's less the team you cheer for and more how aware and open you are to other teams.

Their are good and bad fans of every team.

Ha I am not a habs fan at all....but almost 90% of my friends are... poor guys :naughty:

Pax is an excellent player and one I would want on my team. Guess I just don't see him as underrated if you look at his talent and what he brings to the game.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I'm assuming they are saying Ovechkin has the 'luxury' of playing with Backstrom while Patches doesn't have a #1 center to play with.. and just say Stamoks is clearly better than both of them because he's scored more goals , including even strength, and also has none dishing him the puck.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Ha I am not a habs fan at all....but almost 90% of my friends are... poor guys :naughty:

Pax is an excellent player and one I would want on my team. Guess I just don't see him as underrated if you look at his talent and what he brings to the game.

Hey, Habs fans aren't exactly doing to bad right now;)

I mean, of course Habs fans will talk up Pacioretty, like Sharks fans will talk up Pavelski. It's more perception of the leagues best players as a whole. And you can argue Pacioretty doesn't get a lot of attention league wide. Same with Pavelski.

Plus, I hear his contract is terrible...
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-contracts-the-8-worst-for-canadian-teams-1.2757308

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Max has become a solid 2 way winger good for ~35 goals-65 points per season, with the ability of scoring 40 goals in a single season. His game evolved so much since the last lockout, it's awesome to watch.

As much as I hate Therrien, he deserves some credit for turning MaxPac into a more complete player.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Agreed, I'd put them in their own tier.

Stamkos
Ovie

Perry
Kessel
Nash

Kane
Seguin
Pavelski
Tavares
Pacioretty
Tavares
Crosby

Neal
Parise
Carter
JVR
Getzlaf
etc.

(within the tiers not being in any order)

Kessel has never broken 40 goals in a season. Why do you have him with Nash and Perry?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Yeah seems like Price (seems it's mostly rival Montreal fans in his case) and Pacioretty are underrated

Patches is great fantasy hockey value on pace for 40 ish goals again

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Kessel has never broken 40 goals in a season. Why do you have him with Nash and Perry?

Nash is having a big season this year, but the previous 3 years:

Kessel: 37, 20, 37
Nash: 26, 21, 30

I'd say Kessel belongs. One so-so season goalscoring-wise on a god awful team shouldn't change that.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Until the playoffs come around and he starts sucking. Price is ****ing great. Subban is a treat to watch. Pacioretty? Nope. He's been hot for the last 10 or so games but overall he's not that good.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Here's a much better article that actually did a modicum of research into Pacioretty's goal scoring numbers (the numbers are somewhat out of date since it's a month old now):

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-the-nhls-best-goal-scorer-nobody-talks-about

Pacioretty is unusual in that he's actually a much better goalscorer at ES than on the PP. This is because, as the article points out, most of his goals come off the rush. Pacioretty doesn't have a lethal one-timer or slapper like Ovechkin or Stamkos do, so the fact that he doesn't score a lot on the PP will probably keep him out of their company for good. But few have been better at ES over the past few years.

Just looked at the numbers for the Nash thread, and weirdly he doesn't enter into the top 5 if you look at a 3 or 5 year sample size - only the 4 year one

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
I found something for you so you can stop making dumb comparisons with Campbell and all.

2nd in ESG since 2011-2012 behind Stamkos. Yeah, I'd say that he belongs.

Since the start of the 2011-12 season, only five players (Ovechkin, Stamkos, Perry, Kessel and Pavelski) have scored more goals than Pacioretty's 108. What is most amazing about that success is that he has not really relied on power-play scoring to get him near the top of that list -- Pacioretty's 85 even-strength goals over that stretch are more than every other player in the NHL with the exception of Stamkos (101). He has also done all of that without the luxury of playing alongside a top play-making center, spending the bulk of his time in recent years skating next to David Desharnais, a fine player but one whose success is tied more to Pacioretty than vice versa.

Don't bother mentioning who centers Pacioretty because most on this board don't think an elite play-making center would even add 5 more goals to his season totals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad