Max Pacioretty: The game's most underrated sniper

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I'm going to say he's not mentioned in that category because the two you named have a combined 9 40 goal seasons, and Pacioretty has 0

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Why would anyone mention a clearly inferior goal scorer when talking about the best goalscorers in the game?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I saw a stat recently that, if I'm not mistaken, over the last two seasons Ovi and Max are tied for most GWGs.

Ovi and Stamkos are better, but Max is a great scorer on perhaps the best contract in the league.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
What? Max Pac isn't even in the same discussion as those two.

People talk about Bergeron and Toews as selke monsters. But where is the love for Greg Campbell?

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I saw a stat recently that, if I'm not mistaken, over the last two seasons Ovi and Max are tied for most GWGs.

Ovi and Stamkos are better, but Max is a great scorer on perhaps the best contract in the league.

He's on one of the better ones for sure, but Tavares' contract is way better

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Max has become a solid 2 way winger good for ~35 goals-65 points per season, with the ability of scoring 40 goals in a single season. His game evolved so much since the last lockout, it's awesome to watch.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Why would anyone mention a clearly inferior goal scorer when talking about the best goalscorers in the game?

Yeah... If you took time to read the article, you would have learned that Pacioretty finished 4th in goals last season with 39 and is currently 8th this year.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah... If you took time to read the article, you would have learned that Pacioretty finished 4th in goals last season with 39 and is currently 8th this year.

Ovechkin finished 1st last year and is 1st this year. I'm aware that Pacioretty is a good goalscorer. He's not on the level of Stamkos, let alone Ovechkin.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I love the guy and he might not get enough talk around the league but he is not in the same category as guys like Ovechkin and Stamkos at the moment. Maybe he will continue to evolve and get there but not at the moment.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Most people talk about Ovi and Stamkos because they're clearly on a much higher level.

Is Ovechking equal or better than two Paciorettys?:sarcasm:

Given the opportunity I would gladly take Pax at his current contract 100 times out of 100 over Ovi. I would argue that their relative values, regardless of contract, are close. Yes, Ovie pots 10-15 more goals but Max is a 2-way beast for a winger and plays the PP and PK particularly well. Put in their contracts and it ain't close.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
So he surely belongs in the discussion with Ovechkin and Stamkos. Makes perfect sense. :sarcasm:

I found something for you so you can stop making dumb comparisons with Campbell and all.

Since the start of the 2011-12 season, only five players (Ovechkin, Stamkos, Perry, Kessel and Pavelski) have scored more goals than Pacioretty's 108. What is most amazing about that success is that he has not really relied on power-play scoring to get him near the top of that list -- Pacioretty's 85 even-strength goals over that stretch are more than every other player in the NHL with the exception of Stamkos (101). He has also done all of that without the luxury of playing alongside a top play-making center, spending the bulk of his time in recent years skating next to David Desharnais, a fine player but one whose success is tied more to Pacioretty than vice versa.

2nd in ESG since 2011-2012 behind Stamkos. Yeah, I'd say that he belongs.

I love the guy and he might not get enough talk around the league but he is not in the same category as guys like Ovechkin and Stamkos at the moment. Maybe he will continue to evolve and get there but not at the moment.

Ovechkin and Stamkos are obviously better players, no one is debating that. The thread is about goal scoring though and Pacioretty is part of an elite group in that category.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Most people talk about Ovi and Stamkos because they're clearly on a much higher level.

Agreed, I'd put them in their own tier.

Stamkos
Ovie

Perry
Kessel
Nash

Kane
Seguin
Pavelski
Tavares
Pacioretty
Tavares
Crosby

Neal
Parise
Carter
JVR
Getzlaf
etc.

(within the tiers not being in any order)

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
One of the best even strength players, can't put up the points Stamkos and Ovechkin can but he is underrated.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Here's a much better article that actually did a modicum of research into Pacioretty's goal scoring numbers (the numbers are somewhat out of date since it's a month old now):

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-the-nhls-best-goal-scorer-nobody-talks-about

Since the start of the 2011-12 season, only five players (Ovechkin, Stamkos, Perry, Kessel and Pavelski) have scored more goals than Pacioretty's 108. What is most amazing about that success is that he has not really relied on power-play scoring to get him near the top of that list -- Pacioretty's 85 even-strength goals over that stretch are more than every other player in the NHL with the exception of Stamkos (101). He has also done all of that without the luxury of playing alongside a top play-making center, spending the bulk of his time in recent years skating next to David Desharnais, a fine player but one whose success is tied more to Pacioretty than vice versa.

Pacioretty is unusual in that he's actually a much better goalscorer at ES than on the PP. This is because, as the article points out, most of his goals come off the rush. Pacioretty doesn't have a lethal one-timer or slapper like Ovechkin or Stamkos do, so the fact that he doesn't score a lot on the PP will probably keep him out of their company for good. But few have been better at ES over the past few years.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
He is good but not underrated. He is streaky and has had only one really solid goal scoring season. he is trending to have another but lets wait and see if he can accomplish it before he is the most underrated sniper. imo.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He is good but not underrated. He is streaky and has had only one really solid goal scoring season. he is trending to have another but lets wait and see if he can accomplish it before he is the most underrated sniper. imo.

33 in 79 games, and 39 in 73 games.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Ovechkin and Stamkos are obviously better players, no one is debating that. The thread is about goal scoring though and Pacioretty is part of an elite group in that category.

He's not in the same category as Stamkos and Ovechkin. They are in a category of their own for now. You might even say Ovechkin is in a category of his own if he wins another Richard this year and puts up 50+. You can cherry pick stats all you want, but total goals are all that matter to a goalscorer and the team. Pacioretty is in the secondary tier with guys like Malkin, Seguin, Nash, Perry, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->