Player Discussion Max Pacioretty -- Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Another semi good example would be Hamilton, traded on the 26th, signed his deal on the 30th. But yeah I can't recall the last sign and deal that has happened in the league.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Outside the box idea, but I presume it's illegal following the CBA to retain salary on a contract that hasn't kicked in yet? Say for example we do a sign and trade (4 years @ 6.5M), could the team retain something like 750K or 1M on that deal or no?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Outside the box idea, but I presume it's illegal following the CBA to retain salary on a contract that hasn't kicked in yet? Say for example we do a sign and trade (4 years @ 6.5M), could the team retain something like 750K or 1M on that deal or no?

If he's signed to Montreal first and then traded, I'd imagine it's within the rules for Habs to retain.

And I'd be willing to retain 1M if it means they can get an extra asset in the package deal.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't know if it counts but Turris was traded and had a deal already in place to re-sign in Nashville.

That is a good example of a team giving permission to another team to talk contract with a player in order to facilitate a trade. Nashville would not have agreed to the trade if they weren't given permission by Ottawa to talk to Turris and his agent.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
All the trade proposals have been met with the complaint that Pacioretty is a rental so it makes sense that the team tries to find out what kind of contract he's looking for. In a year he'll be a free agent and I have no doubt that teams looking for scoring help will bid high on him. The past season was a perfect storm for the team's collapse so I don't see it as effecting his value, everyone knows his numbers and the deficiencies of the team. Bergevin has set the price for Pacioretty very high, rightly so, the problem is everyone knows how bad our center situation is so is it better to accept lower value or try to resign him?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
All the trade proposals have been met with the complaint that Pacioretty is a rental so it makes sense that the team tries to find out what kind of contract he's looking for. In a year he'll be a free agent and I have no doubt that teams looking for scoring help will bid high on him. The past season was a perfect storm for the team's collapse so I don't see it as effecting his value, everyone knows his numbers and the deficiencies of the team. Bergevin has set the price for Pacioretty very high, rightly so, the problem is everyone knows how bad our center situation is so is it better to accept lower value or try to resign him?

Pacioretty's performance this season will be instrumental in establishing hs value as an UFA. Or, at least, it can make a 1M, 1.5M difference. A 25+ goal season will establish last season as a blip on the radar that disappeared.

MON, signing Pacioretty to an extension, at this moment, could benefit from a discount, like the good contract that was negotiated as security for Pacioretty after the Chara injury. However, I doubt that Pacioretty gives MON a home discount without a heavy NMC.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I just watched the vid. I get the sense that Friedman was sharing what he thinks may be happening based on some info he's gathered. Probably not enough info to say it as fact, but probably enough to make an educated guess.

I think a sign and trade makes a lot of sense for all sides. The team that trades for him is guaranteed he's there for the long term and in turn, Habs can get a bigger return. As an example, maybe with Max locked in for 6-7 years, Florida may be willing to give up Trocheck in the deal (who Habs were reportedly asking for at the deadline). With Barkov, Bjugstad, Borgstrom, McCann, and Heponiemi in the pipeline, Panthers may be more open to trading Trocheck to get the scoring winger help they need if they know Max is coming long term.
Problem is we can't do a sign and trade until July 1st. If we're looking for draft picks that isn't something we can do. Trading him during free agency poses considerable risk.

Teams will focus on free agents first, leaving Pacioretty as an afterthought.

This has the potential to go two ways

1) Interested parties are satisfied with what they got via free agency and Pacioretty has no trade value until the season begins and teams see their on ice needs

2) One or more teams strikeout in free agency and Pacioretty becomes of huge calue

I think option 1 is more likely than option 2 personally. Pacioretty will have more value before free agency. We're best to move him at the draft. The only value that comes from a sign and trade is being able to sign him for 8 years rather than 7. That's not very big in this case.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Hossa with Ottawa was one. Traded right after to Atlanta for Heatley
That wasn't really a sign and trade though. He just happened to get traded right after signing. The only advantage a sign and trade deal offers is that teams can sign players for 8 years and then trade the player whereas if they were just signed away they can only sign 7 years.

Sign and trades basically do not exist in the NHL the way they do in the NBA. I can't think of a single NBA style sign and trade in NHL history.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Met him on Ste Catherine street yesterday , took a pic with him good dude, he was with wife and kids just shopping in the middle of formula one madness

Reactions: Tyson

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Problem is we can't do a sign and trade until July 1st. If we're looking for draft picks that isn't something we can do. Trading him during free agency poses considerable risk.

Teams will focus on free agents first, leaving Pacioretty as an afterthought.

This has the potential to go two ways

1) Interested parties are satisfied with what they got via free agency and Pacioretty has no trade value until the season begins and teams see their on ice needs

2) One or more teams strikeout in free agency and Pacioretty becomes of huge calue

I think option 1 is more likely than option 2 personally. Pacioretty will have more value before free agency. We're best to move him at the draft. The only value that comes from a sign and trade is being able to sign him for 8 years rather than 7. That's not very big in this case.

The value from a sign and trade is that he isn't a rental. It's not 7 vs 8 it's 1 vs whatever the length of the extension would be.

That said we are still best trading him at or before the draft. You just have to have Pacioretty as part of the process as if he had a NMC. Interested teams won't demand he be signed before a trade so long as they have a verbal agreement on an extension.

It's also worth noting it's in Pacioretty's best interest to get traded an then sign because then he can negotiate a NTC/NMC. If he signs and then waives the clause then I believe it gets voided.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
With the playoffs over, Pacioretty's time as a Habs is coming to an end.

Only 2 weeks away from the draft and 3 from the FA frenzy. Clock is ticking.

Feels like we will run that contract out or at least keep it in place to begin the season which has been the Montreal typical.
BTW Does anyone have a recent update on his health?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I keep wondering

i mean..is there a chance he DOESNt get traded? ive noticed myself acting like he's already gone but what if bergevin gives us the ol "im not giving up on my captain blah blah" shtick

I think moving him is paramount to the future of this franchise, but some wonder if we trade him for a pick or an established player?

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I keep wondering

i mean..is there a chance he DOESNt get traded? ive noticed myself acting like he's already gone but what if bergevin gives us the ol "im not giving up on my captain blah blah" shtick

I think moving him is paramount to the future of this franchise, but some wonder if we trade him for a pick or an established player?

My take is they want to move him but aren't likely to get what they expect coming off last season.
Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My take is they want to move him but aren't likely to get what they expect coming off last season.
Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

I just hope they don't carry Pacioretty forward to start the season. Even if they don't get what they expect, they're still likely to get good value. And they could use that extra first rounder he could garner in a package.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Pacioretty's performance this season will be instrumental in establishing hs value as an UFA. Or, at least, it can make a 1M, 1.5M difference. A 25+ goal season will establish last season as a blip on the radar that disappeared.

MON, signing Pacioretty to an extension, at this moment, could benefit from a discount, like the good contract that was negotiated as security for Pacioretty after the Chara injury. However, I doubt that Pacioretty gives MON a home discount without a heavy NMC.

A 25 goal season would be equivalent t his 17 in 64 this year. Do people think he played a full season? Je would have had 20+ 50+ yet again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->