Confirmed with Link: Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd rd, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar - UPDATE: Pacioretty extends 7m x 4

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Don't worry you guys, as I told you back around the end of september, Max is a pathological slow starter. He'll be filling the net by the end of november.

Yes you did. And honestly I wouldn't be worried even if he wasn't a historically slow starter. New team, new linemates, it's going to take time for things to marinate and for him to find his stride, but he's too good a player and too good a fit to not work out.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Max has been attacking the boards, including leveling and taking hits, something Habs fans have said he refuses to do since the Chara hit rung his bell. I think he's gonna be fine. Neil contributed to success last year, but he wasn't Alpha in every game. The only close thing to a constant Alpha has been Fleury.

When Pacman67 started to be much more physical last year(that was never ever part of his game) in Montreal,i felt it was taking away from his offense..he did end with 17 goals maybe just a fluky season...but again he never was a guy to ever play real physical style until last year when he was looking for hits ..etc...he added that to his game ...not sure if that's wise or not

He was a sniper 35-39 goals
Now he added banging to his game ..if that means he's now a 24 goal scorer...that's a big price to pay...

Last edited:
Reactions: sbhatt

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
LOL- I was watching the Anaheim game in the third period and saw a cutaway of Patches and then remembered "oh, yeah, we have Pacioretty on this team!"
Which is to say, that other than the penalty in the 1st he really did disappear. But, we're at .500 and climbing, so no need for alarm.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I loved him steamrolling Beaulieu the other day

"You didn't listen when I was your captain, maybe you'll listen to me now" :laugh:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
When Pacman67 started to be much more physical last year(that was never ever part of his game) in Montreal,i felt it was taking away from his offense..he did end with 17 goals maybe just a fluky season...but again he never was a guy to ever play real physical style until last year when he was looking for hits ..etc...he added that to his game ...not sure if that's wise or not

He was a sniper 35-39 goals
Now he added banging to his game ..if that means he's now a 24 goal scorer...that's a big price to pay...

It more than likely was a fluke as little sugartush Drouin was focusing on the responsibilities of playing C. Max had the exact same start with Drouin that he's having now playing mostly with Haula and Nosek/Hyka. He also had a really slow start in 13-14 in his first 11 games...until he scored a hat trick. He wound up almost hitting 40 that season.

Gallant isn't interested in handing out icetime without merit so now that the top line is rolling, every other line it getting the ice time they deserve. Right now that's 11-13 mins even strength and they're on a 3 game win streak.

Max does this every year. Ice cold and then red hot. RH playmaker Tuch will come off the shelf. And then Stastny returns December. And possibly young stud Glass (1st RH C he's ever played with) next year and the next and the next and...

I highly doubt he tries to do to much like being too physical (which isn't his game) and the best coach in the league can't correct this. He just needs to focus on getting himself open more often than not and be the finisher.

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Any Hab fans got the stones to make an avatar bet that Patches won't hit 25 goals? You guys love to talk and talk and talk some more about how useless the guy is, how he's washed up etc.

Nope , i never said he was washed up at all..
What i say is he plays much more physical now added that element into his game last year..
That seems to have dropped his production....

Last year in Montreal 2017-18 he had 1 goal no assts in his first 8 games...

This year 2018-19 in Vegas he has 1 goal an no assts in his first 8 ...

Exact same start as last season......Now anyone saying Pacman is a historical slow starter is wrong..why?

The 2016-17 season he had 7 points in his first 8 games

The 2015-16 season he had (6 goals) 9 pts in his first 8 games..

The 2014-15 season he had 7 pts in his first 8 games..

The 2011-12 ..6 points in the first 8 games..

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
T
Nope , i never said he was washed up at all..
What i say is he plays much more physical now added that element into his game last year..
That seems to have dropped his production....

Last year in Montreal 2017-18 he had 1 goal no assts in his first 8 games...

This year 2018-19 in Vegas he has 1 goal an no assts in his first 8 ...

Exact same start as last season......Now anyone saying Pacman is a historical slow starter is wrong..why?

The 2016-17 season he had 7 points in his first 8 games

The 2015-16 season he had (6 goals) 9 pts in his first 8 games..

The 2014-15 season he had 7 pts in his first 8 games..

The 2011-12 ..6 points in the first 8 games..

What is this-

I just said that.

Then you put words in my mouth and ignored everything else I said, especially the point I made about the slow start to his 39 goal season in 13-14. Re-read what I said.

I'm not singling you out, I never quoted you in the post you quoted. This goes for everyone who wants to start trouble: daily nonsense won't be tolerated.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If we're going to do avi bets, can we not do it here after I requested that the nega-Habs go to the main boards?

We've got to be consistent.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Don't worry about Max. He'll adjust.

True. He still has one of the best wrist shots in the league and he just needs good passers around him and players who can create space (with for instance their stickhandling and/or speed). He'll win most board battles, he always volunteers for a 2nd effort and he's a very responsible 2 way player. Once he'll be hot it's gonna be hard to slow down his pace.

Last year he admitted that he played with a minor injury for about a month (November 2017 if I remember correctly he had 0 Goal/4 Pass). I hope that he's not hiding anything...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
True. He still has one of the best wrist shots in the league and he just needs good passers around him and players who can create space (with for instance their stickhandling and/or speed). He'll win most board battles, he always volunteers for a 2nd effort and he's a very responsible 2 way player. Once he'll be hot it's gonna be hard to slow down his pace.

Last year he admitted that he played with a minor injury for about a month (November 2017 if I remember correctly he had 0 Goal/4 Pass). I hope that he's not hiding anything...

He's had at least one 'maintenance day' for practice so he probably went and banged himself up trying to be physical.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

He doesn't even need a playmaker. Just have some grinder ish player get him the puck and win battles for him and he'll score 30.

Reactions: Riddum

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Don't worry you guys, as I told you back around the end of september, Max is a pathological slow starter. He'll be filling the net by the end of november.

Yes and no, historically he's been hovering around the 7 point mark through the first 10 games but mostly in assists. I don't know what's going on with him this year I haven't been watching him. See next post, just writing it up.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
To continue my post immediately above. Max is pretty much in line with where he usually is through 10, as far as goals go. Only twice did he score more than 3 goals in his last 8 seasons and this is a guy that's been averaging 34 goals per season over the last 7 seasons (excluding this season)

Based on his 34 goals per season average, he should be at 4 goals through 10 games every year but he's usually closer to the 1 goal mark. That's also assuming his stats are linear (impossible). This isn't new for Max, it's just his usual cycle of being streaky. I'm no fortune teller but my guess is his next 7 games are going to be far better than his first 7. His first 10 games last year also sucked a lot, but the habs sucked a lot as well.

2018-19:
First 7 games: 1 point (1 goal)
Total season: ?

2017-18:
First 10 games: 1 point (1 goal)
Total season: 37 points (17 goals)

2016-17:
First 10 games 7 points (2 goals)
Total: 67 points (35 goals)

2015-16:
First 10 games: 11 points (7 goals)
Total: 64 points (30 goals)

2014-15:
First 10 games: 7 points (3 goals)
Total: 67 points (37 goals)

2013-14:
First 10 games: 4 points (1 goal)
Total: 60 points (39 goals)

2012-13:
First 10 games: 8 points (0 goals)
Total: 39 points (15 goals)
*44 games (lockout)

2011-12:
First 10 games: 9 points (4 goals)
Total: 65 points (33 goals)

Mean (through 10): 4.21
Median (through 10): 1.5 ((2+1) ÷ 2)
Average goals in last 8 years: 33.58

Uneducated prediction: Hovers around the 33 goal mark as per usual...he's done it without a legitimate #1 center for the last ~7 years, he doesn't need Stastny to do it again.

Last edited:

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
After 9 games, he's now at 2 goals, 0 assists.

In 10 games from now, I expect him to be at something like 6 goals, 8 assists (14 points) in 19 games. He's about to get going.

I think the fact that he's no longer captain of a team will really help him focus entirely on his game. I'd be shocked if he doesn't end the season with at least 35 goals (I expect him to finally break 40+). Just give him time to fully adjust and he'll do amazing.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Saw max play in 4 of Vegas’ First few games and he doesn’t look like the 30-goal guy that was in Mtl. I’ve watched max in Montreal for his entire career and there was a noticeable difference last year vs the previous ones (outside of just points).

I don’t know what is going on with him but it’s been 2 years now that he has been playing like this. I always liked him. Hope he turns it around, but I see 17 goal max pacioretty not the 39 goal max pacioretty that I loved.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Damn, just checked OHL points to see how Suzuki is doing and he is tearing it up! Kid looks like a stud...

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Damn, just checked OHL points to see how Suzuki is doing and he is tearing it up! Kid looks like a stud...

Can't wait to see Suzuki on the ice, the Habs have currently more use for an elite play maker than the Knights. He almost reminds me of Marchessault with his sharp shot...

Reactions: sbhatt

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
Patches has been on fire lately, good for him.

I've watched him play a lot of hockey, and this is what he normally does...looks like a 50 goal scorer for 6-8 games, then looks like a 4th liner for 6-8 games.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I've watched him play a lot of hockey, and this is what he normally does...looks like a 50 goal scorer for 6-8 games, then looks like a 4th liner for 6-8 games.

Surely you've also seen other goal scorers play...then you would know all goal scorers are streaky, Pacioretty isn't an exception.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
Surely you've also seen other goal scorers play...then you would know all goal scorers are streaky, Pacioretty isn't an exception.

Of course they are streaky, but when Max is cold it's not just that he isn't scoring...he's generally doing absolutely nothing useful out there during his cold streaks. He earned the nickname 'floating captain' amongst our fanbase for a reason in recent seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad