Confirmed with Link: Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd rd, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar - UPDATE: Pacioretty extends 7m x 4

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hi guys. I see Patches had a successful first pre season game with you.

After returning from the Chara hit Patches said he watched a lot of hockey and what he noticed is that the elite scorers and most long lived scorers played a perimeter game, and that's the kind of game he will now play.

Much has been made by Hab fans about his going cold in the post season. I think that is misleading.

While fans want players to play a full in and do everything to win in the post season, including going to the net, that is just not the game Patches plays. However, give him the PMD and a centre or just someone to create space for him, and he will be in that spot ripping shots at the net and scoring.

So Patches is a good player, responsible defensively also, and one of the best LW scorers in the league. If the Habs were in your position I would have wanted to keep him. I dont see any issue with him scoring big numbers over the next 5 years.

Fact is the Habs are not where you are and we needed a guy like Suzuki in our system.

Best of luck.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Yeah I feel he's a good fit in Vegas. I was just quoting the above poster.

He used to dominate games back in 2011 ish with Cole at his side but he turned into a Perimeter player after Chara rang his bell. It's incredibly frustrating seeing how he plays the game now but he still has his shot and his speed. Get him the puck inispace and he'll bury.

Good trade for both teams.

I read this narrative often, but people misremember the facts.

The Chara hit happened during the 2010-11 season.
He had 14 goals in 36 games before the hit, this was his breakout season. Then the hit happened and Boston beat us in 7 games in the playoffs.

We signed Cole the following year and had the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole line for the 2011-12 season.

Reactions: Oryxo

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like sour grapes to me. The guy is an impact player, an elite goal scorer, plays a 200 foot game & kills penalties. Not too many guys in the current NHL fit that description.

I'm glad the Knights took him off your hands so you won't have to get frustrated watching him going forward. It's a win-win for everyone. :thumbu:

The Canadiens board was flooded with ill-informed posters that would rant about Patches all the time. They should have their remarks taken with a large grain of salt. Or ignored.

They endlessly would grind axes and spew nonsense and were prone to gross exaggeration in effort to further their agendas. It got pathetic and sadly some of it has spilled over here.

To give you an idea of the credibility of these posters, the guy you were responding to said that Max used to dominate games back when he played with Cole, but that stopped after Chara hit him and injured him and then he became a "perimeter player." Only problem with that is Cole signed with the Montreal Canadiens after the Chara hit had happened.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What do Vegas fans think of Pacioretty so far?

He's been great. Surprisingly (or not) he Stastny and Haula have been the most dangerous line for us so far. He's got terrific chemistry with Stastny.

Although I'd like to see a right handed winger on that line getting him the puck. Hopefully Tuch can slot in there when he comes back

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He's been great. Surprisingly (or not) he Stastny and Haula have been the most dangerous line for us so far. He's got terrific chemistry with Stastny.

Although I'd like to see a right handed winger on that line getting him the puck. Hopefully Tuch can slot in there when he comes back
As much as I like Haula and feel he's over qualified for the third line, Tuch is the better fit imo. He plays a complimentary game to Stastny and Pacioretty's styles. And at least in preseason it looked like his playmaking was miles better.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
The problem with Tuch is that he can't finish. Haula had 29 last year, so he is a known quantity. I wouldn't be surprised if the lines stayed put going forward. That 2nd line is pretty sick.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
What do Vegas fans think of Pacioretty so far?
He's been on our best looking line so far, offensively. The warnings about Chara making him gun shy seem to be over exaggerated. He has no problem working the boards and making and taking hits.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The problem with Tuch is that he can't finish. Haula had 29 last year, so he is a known quantity. I wouldn't be surprised if the lines stayed put going forward. That 2nd line is pretty sick.
Tuch was a rookie last year. We don't know how much better he's gotten at finishing. And if Tuch plays playmaker the way he did in preseason, it won't really matter if he didn't get better at finishing his own shots.

I just worry that being forced to play with Eakin and Nosek isn't really going to help the guy progress. He's a young guy with all the talent and tools to be better than Haula but if he's forced to try to shine with tertiary scorers, it's not gonna help. Personally I'd rather see Haula on the third line making that line more versatile with Tuch on the second making that line the incubator of his talent.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Sounds like a trade that has worked out well for both sides. Good to hear

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Personally I'd rather see Haula on the third line making that line more versatile with Tuch on the second making that line the incubator of his talent.
I totally agree with this, however, VGK is in win-now mode and there can't be any time spent developing guys on the big club. I'm sure Turk has an opinion of this and we will see once Tuch is healthy.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I totally agree with this, however, VGK is in win-now mode and there can't be any time spent developing guys on the big club. I'm sure Turk has an opinion of this and we will see once Tuch is healthy.
Well that's just one side of it. I still think his style suits Max and Stast more. Haula worked well with Perron and Neal's style as a center. That's not to say he's not compatible with 67 and 26 but I think Tuch plays more like those two than Haula does.

Reactions: MordredGK

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Well that's just one side of it. I still think his style suits Max and Stast more. Haula worked well with Perron and Neal's style as a center. That's not to say he's not compatible with 67 and 26 but I think Tuch plays more like those two than Haula does.

I think Turk will switch Haula to 3rd line to replace Lindberg when Alex gets healthy. I still think Haula has the hands for 40goals, but he is really needed in the 3rd line. Perron-Haula-Neal was a horrible line! Patchy is more complete player than Neal, Stastny is "clearly" a more complete player than Perron.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i know Vegas isn't having a great start but how has Pacioretty been playing overall? despites the stats etc.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
i know Vegas isn't having a great start but how has Pacioretty been playing overall? despites the stats etc.

The second line is even worse than I expected: strong offense and lousy defense.

Pacioretty and Haula in the same line... they do provide aggressive offense, but that just doesn't fix their lack of defense. They might get separated to different lines soon. Stastny and Pacioretty haven't yet shown high chemistry, but that should come in time. The hope is that Tuch and Patch will find chemistry when Tuch comes back from injury, if that doesn't work we are screwed.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The second line is even worse than I expected: strong offense and lousy defense.

Pacioretty and Haula in the same line... they do provide aggressive offense, but that just doesn't fix their lack of defense. They might get separated to different lines soon. Stastny and Pacioretty haven't yet shown high chemistry, but that should come in time. The hope is that Tuch and Patch will find chemistry when Tuch comes back from injury, if that doesn't work we are screwed.
IMO, Pacioretty has never really been much of a chemistry guy. He basically runs something himself. He produces near the same stats with any line combination, looking back through his past, as long as he gets the ice-time. The best chemistry is usually on the PK, where he gets along really with some players.

I'm shocked Tatar didn't work for you. Maybe its the whole east/west thing. He was great in the pre-season and he's been good in the regular season as well. Very involved and makes scoring chances for himself. In my honest opinion, after watching a fair bit of Vegas last year and especially in the playoffs, Tatar seems more like a Vegas kind of player than Pacioretty.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
Max Pacioretty: in 6 games, has 1 goal, 0 assists, and is a -3

Tomas Tatar: in 5 games, has 3 goals, 4 assists, and is a +4

Could not be happier as a Habs fan with the trade even straight-up, let alone having scored Suzuki and a 2nd rounder. Max was always infuriatingly lazy...a guy who did absolutely nothing productive for long stretches in between hot streaks. Tatar so far skates hard consistently, and isn't afraid to cut to the slot and battle to the front of the net...areas Max shies away from more often than not. It's early...but...I predict many of you will grow to hate him, especially since the Knights built that amazing season on a fast-paced game that had them outworking their opponents by a fair margin most nights.

Reactions: tresHabs and Pomee

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Max Pacioretty: in 6 games, has 1 goal, 0 assists, and is a -3

Tomas Tatar: in 5 games, has 3 goals, 4 assists, and is a +4

Could not be happier as a Habs fan with the trade even straight-up, let alone having scored Suzuki and a 2nd rounder. Max was always infuriatingly lazy...a guy who did absolutely nothing productive for long stretches in between hot streaks. Tatar so far skates hard consistently, and isn't afraid to cut to the slot and battle to the front of the net...areas Max shies away from more often than not. It's early...but...I predict many of you will grow to hate him, especially since the Knights built that amazing season on a fast-paced game that had them outworking their opponents by a fair margin most nights.
Yeah thanks for coming to our board to piss in our cereal on a 6 game sample size. Things haven't been rough enough as it is.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Yeah thanks for coming to our board to piss in our cereal on a 6 game sample size. Things haven't been rough enough as it is.

Plus the fact Tatar was hot garbage here. He was a healthy scratch more than he dressed, especially in the playoffs. And when he did dress, he was completely invisible, a total fringe player.

Maybe he had trouble fitting in with the established team chemistry? Maybe he put too much pressure on himself to score? Whatever it was, it didn't work for him here.

I don't care what the early season returns are so far, I'd make that trade again every day of the week.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
Plus the fact Tatar was hot garbage here. He was a healthy scratch more than he dressed, especially in the playoffs. And when he did dress, he was completely invisible, a total fringe player.

Maybe he had trouble fitting in with the established team chemistry? Maybe he put too much pressure on himself to score? Whatever it was, it didn't work for him here.

I don't care what the early season returns are so far, I'd make that trade again every day of the week.

I like the Vegas team, so I hope Max is not a disaster for you...but I have seen enough of his act to know he plays infuriatingly badly for significant stretches. I was pissed, after he FINALLY was traded away, that he got traded to one of the teams I like to watch.

Reactions: Pomee

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I like the Vegas team, so I hope Max is not a disaster for you...but I have seen enough of his act to know he plays infuriatingly badly for significant stretches. I was pissed, after he FINALLY was traded away, that he got traded to one of the teams I like to watch.

Max and Haula better start finding some chemistry, they were not supposed to play in the same line, but it's not like we have any other players left to put in there.

There will be no Tuch or Stastny any time soon, so I'm still living with my dream to see Carpy and Haula in the same line. That would currently mean Max-Haula-Carpenter.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

I strongly suggest you go back to our own board and make yourself forgotten. You make all of us Habs fans look bad when you go to another board and post ridiculous nonsense like this, especially with a sample size of 6 games.

Sorry about this Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->