Max Friberg - Skövde IK, SWE Div 1

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
It's only one game, but I was quite impressed by this player against Canada. Small but fiesty, skilled, skates well, even killed some penalties (that might not mean much, given that horrible officiating had Sweden on the PK for half the game.)

As a Blackhawks fan, this kid reminds me of Versteeg, and with three 2nd-round draft picks for 2011, I would love to see one of those picks used on him. A draft-eligible player giving a good account of himself in a tournament usually dominated by 19-year-olds is no small accomplishment.

So what am I missing? Why is this guy ranked only 15th among Swedish skaters in the preliminary CSB rankings?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
It's only one game, but I was quite impressed by this player against Canada. Small but fiesty, skilled, skates well, even killed some penalties (that might not mean much, given that horrible officiating had Sweden on the PK for half the game.)

As a Blackhawks fan, this kid reminds me of Versteeg, and with three 2nd-round draft picks for 2011, I would love to see one of those picks used on him. A draft-eligible player giving a good account of himself in a tournament usually dominated by 19-year-olds is no small accomplishment.

So what am I missing? Why is this guy ranked only 15th among Swedish skaters in the preliminary CSB rankings?

1. as you stated this is only CSB's preliminary ranking
2. player evaluations are not made by viewing 1 exhibition game
3. if he is Versteeg like a team would not use a 2nd round selection on him

HemskyToHall*

He had one hard slap shot that was tipped by the defenders stick so they goalie couldn't save it in an exhibition game.

That being said, I am judging him based on one game, Landeskog and his other two linemates were the best players for Sweden imo.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Why is that lol? Most 2nd rounders never have their best seasons like Vesteeg had his rookie. A Vesteeg type player would definitely warrant a 2nd round pick.

I watched Versteeg live in junior....close to half of his games.
I am a huge Hawks fan....watched all his games there.

Versteeg had a very good rookie year but keep in mind he did not come into the league at 18, 19, 20 ,21, 22, 23....his "rookie" year as you refer to it was after 152 games of pro at the age of 24.
Notice how he scored and who he lined up with?

How is he doing this year?

Regardless....he was a 5th round pick....in a deep draft a team doesn't need to use a 2nd on a Versteeg.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
1. as you stated this is only CSB's preliminary ranking
2. player evaluations are not made by viewing 1 exhibition game
3. if he is Versteeg like a team would not use a 2nd round selection on him

He had one hard slap shot that was tipped by the defenders stick so they goalie couldn't save it in an exhibition game.

That being said, I am judging him based on one game, Landeskog and his other two linemates were the best players for Sweden imo.

I'm not so concerned about the goal he scored. Among other things he could clearly skate, and I suspect he displayed skating ability prior to tonight and he will not lose that ability tomorrow or in the forseeable future.

I am asking for opinions of people who have seen him play a fair number of games.

For a draft that is not supposed to be very deep, I find it hard to believe that there are 14 skaters better than him in Sweden.

For any who have seen him play, whether in Sweden or through live-streams or whatever, I would like to hear some informed opinions.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I'm not so concerned about the goal he scored. Among other things he could clearly skate, and I suspect he displayed skating ability prior to tonight and he will not lose that ability tomorrow or in the forseeable future.

I am asking for opinions of people who have seen him play a fair number of games.

For a draft that is not supposed to be very deep, I find it hard to believe that there are 14 skaters better than him in Sweden.

For any who have seen him play, whether in Sweden or through live-streams or whatever, I would like to hear some informed opinions.

I see this as a very good draft....so do others in the know-

"While secrets were not divulged, Murray and Andersson agreed that the 2011 Entry Draft in St. Paul, Minn., could be one of the deepest pools in recent memory.
"It looks pretty good; an above-average draft," Andersson said. "Whether it's going to be one of the deepest or a little over average, it's too early, but there are a good number of interesting players."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=537515

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I watched Versteeg live in junior....close to half of his games.
I am a huge Hawks fan....watched all his games there.

Versteeg had a very good rookie year but keep in mind he did not come into the league at 18, 19, 20 ,21, 22, 23....his "rookie" year as you refer to it was after 152 games of pro at the age of 24.
Notice how he scored and who he lined up with?

How is he doing this year?

Regardless....he was a 5th round pick....in a deep draft a team doesn't need to use a 2nd on a Versteeg.

Huh, didn't know this season was his rookie year.

For the record, Versteeg was 22 during his rookie year, a very common year for rookie players.

Also, a player with Versteeg upside would definitely go in the second round.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
I see this as a very good draft....so do others in the know-

"While secrets were not divulged, Murray and Andersson agreed that the 2011 Entry Draft in St. Paul, Minn., could be one of the deepest pools in recent memory.
"It looks pretty good; an above-average draft," Andersson said. "Whether it's going to be one of the deepest or a little over average, it's too early, but there are a good number of interesting players."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=537515

My one and only question in this thread is opinions on Max Friberg.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What you're missing is that he only plays in the Swedish third tier, Division 1.

I don't know if he is necessarily missing that though.

He is commenting on how he looks as a player and how he looked against Canada.

He isn't commenting on his point totals in Sweden.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg

He's asking about why he was ranked where he was by Central Scouting in his first post.

That he plays third tier hockey for his local club instead of playing in Elitserien, Allsvenskan or SuperElit like most Swedish prospects do will have had a very significant effect on that ranking and what view scouts will have had on him until now.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009

I have seen him on several occasion and I was always missing NHL upside. What kind of player could be at NHL level?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

He plays in the 3rd league. Dunno if a lot of scouts get to see games there.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Gee I thought most scouts thought 2011 was not a deep draft...now Murray and Andersson are saying it is one of the deepest drafts in memory? Get real! NO way.

And what about Redline (Kyle Woodlief's ) view that it isn't that deep.. Somebody is wrong.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Gee I thought most scouts thought 2011 was not a deep draft...now Murray and Andersson are saying it is one of the deepest drafts in memory? Get real! NO way.

And what about Redline (Kyle Woodlief's ) view that it isn't that deep.. Somebody is wrong.

I don't know where you got that from because the scouts I talk with feel it is deep.

Oshie

Feb 9, 2010
Saskatoon

Agreed on this comment, doesn't matter where he plays and points that he has. His work ethic is the biggest thing, and this kid shows it, the only thing I am worried about is this kids size.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I don't know where you got that from because the scouts I talk with feel it is deep.

The Hockey News published a piece in the 2009 Draft Preview claiming that scouts felt the 1993 age group was universally weak, and it's been quoted as gospel ever since. This was my response to it, and two of the three I featured then aren't looking too bad today.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Nobody watches SEL-2 games so that´s probably why Friberg have gone under ther radar. At the same time it´s probably not such a bad league to develop in, the quality of SEL-2 is not worse than Superelit. Guys that where drafted from Färjestad, like for example Marcus Johansson, played in Skåre in SEL-2 since Färjestad don´t have a j20team.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The Hockey News published a piece in the 2009 Draft Preview claiming that scouts felt the 1993 age group was universally weak, and it's been quoted as gospel ever since. This was my response to it, and two of the three I featured then aren't looking too bad today.

Considering how long ago that was written, Dillon Simpson isn't doing half-bad either given that he's already at college rather than in junior.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Nobody watches SEL-2 games so that´s probably why Friberg have gone under ther radar. At the same time it´s probably not such a bad league to develop in, the quality of SEL-2 is not worse than Superelit. Guys that where drafted from Färjestad, like for example Marcus Johansson, played in Skåre in SEL-2 since Färjestad don´t have a j20team.

If you presented me with two physically underdeveloped Swedish prospects, the only difference being that one was tearing up SuperElit and the other was playing a regular top-six role in Division 1, I'd likely take the kid in Div 1 every time.

To play with men 10-20 years older than you- some of which played Allsvenskan and even Elitserien hockey or high-level pro in other countries before retiring from serious competition- requires that you not only read the game at an advanced level but also can protect yourself and avoid putting yourself in vulnerable situations. That's something many young players struggle with upon jumping to the next level, and if you've got that already, you're a couple years ahead of your peers.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I was fortunate enough to watch Simpson live about 40-45 times last year......I like this kid.
I also see alot of St. Croix and McNeill....both are talented young men.
McNeill has real NHL potential.
I have found that 1 on 1 in scouting circles (at least out west) the majority of scouts believe this to be a strong draft class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad