Max (formerly HBO Max) adds sports tier including Turner NHL games

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
This is all too confusing for the average consumer
Get used to it, the era of linear TV even being an option is going to end sooner than you expect and all levels of sports in North America are too addicted to the rights fee model to try and go DTC on their own.

I used to have Directv, could see every single football game for my B1G alma mater on one of the major channels or Big Ten Network.

Switched to Fubo last season, still received every single game from my alma mater across all the different networks.

Now this season couldn’t watch my school on Fubo last week because the game was exclusively carried on Peacock.

Personally think the B1G's desire to be more or less exclusively on national broadcast networks in this deal was wringing the last big paycheck out of a dying system and it isn't going to work out well for them because enough cord cutter fans simply will not pay for things like Peacock and Paramount Plus to watch games. I've watched one Michigan game live this season so far and I've kind of accepted that is what it is going to be like for the next few years.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is all too confusing for the average consumer

People say this and I don’t get it. If you’re in market, you need 2 services. If you’re out of market, you need 2-3 services depending on if you’re traditional cable or streaming. It’s not that much to keep track of. Is it that there are now multiple avenues to get those services that’s confusing? I really don’t get it.

You need to pay attention to where games are, which isn’t hard to do at all… the league makes it easy to find out. Go to the team website or look at the NHL app. But needing to find out where the game is on has been the case for 30+ years, so it’s not like there’s a change here.

Reactions: joelef

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Looks like there are no replays of games available (at least not for MLB playoff games), which tracks with the TNT app where authenticated subscribers could watch live but no replays (which sucks because ESPN+ doesn't put up the replays of TNT games for, I forget, one or two full days).

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
People say this and I don’t get it. If you’re in market, you need 2 services. If you’re out of market, you need 2-3 services depending on if you’re traditional cable or streaming. It’s not that much to keep track of. Is it that there are now multiple avenues to get those services that’s confusing? I really don’t get it.

You need to pay attention to where games are, which isn’t hard to do at all… the league makes it easy to find out. Go to the team website or look at the NHL app. But needing to find out where the game is on has been the case for 30+ years, so it’s not like there’s a change here.
People just want free stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad