Speculation: Max Domi's upcoming contract extension

How much should Domi make on a long-term contract?

• Total voters

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
He’ll be signed for the equivalent of 3 pennies a year by our alien overlords. That’s the most logical bet anyways.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I don't think there's any chance he signs under $6.5m.

These options aren't great, imo.

If he does, I'll be stoked. Just waiting for Bergevin to be fired so I can re-join you guys as a Habs fan. :laugh:

I don't think Domi is in the position to be asking for the moon this summer, especially with all this COVID uncertainty around the league.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
If he signs long term at around 6.5m at most I will be fine with that contract but if hes asking north of 7m I would use him as trade bait to move up in the draft or for a Dman.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't think Domi is in the position to be asking for the moon this summer, especially with all this COVID uncertainty around the league.
That's definitely a huge factor. I don't see another bridge. Maybe a high cap bridge deal? Something like $6m short term?

I just don't see him taking less.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Kuznetsov put up those numbers before the game opened up though, when they started calling hooking to the hands, among other things. So those numbers aren't comparable.

Remember the year before last when everyone said Habs players (including Domi) were having career years? Well it was happening all over the league because scoring was way up league wide.

Domi's a good little player. But he hasn't shown he can be a number 1 center. I just hope he gets better linemates than Lehkonen, Armia, injured Byron, Weal, etc...

Bingo, And they still finished out of the playoff race!!! Montreal needs to do anything to avoid overpaying guys like Domi. I'm not down to lock him down long term for 6M+. He's RFA right? Let him sit out if he does not want a contract befitting a 50 points forward. Him and Drouin are nice complementary pieces in a top 6, not our key players in the future.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
You gave a small sample size or questionable contracts which is dwarfed by the amount of times we're all pleasantly surprised to hear the reasonable and sometimes under market value of contracts. Look at Armia, Lehkonen, Petry, Gally, Danault, Chirot etc. How many 30 goals scorers are getting paid $3.75MM? Our highest paid forward is Drouin at $5.5M.

So sorry, disagree with your premise that Bergevin doesn't get good value. In fact, most would take the opposite view given his hardball tactics on Radulov and Markov caused them not to come back.

Markov: Would you rather Markov for 2 years at whatever price he asked, or Alzner? Well, we got Alzner to replace our best LD,who would have probably retired after his contract.
Radulov: Seriously? not signing him was a great demonstration of MB's negotiation skills? Let me doubt that he would cripple our cap space... and be our best forward.
Armia: A 20-30 pts defensive forward making 2.6M. That's not awful but not great.
Lehkonen: Again... 2.4M for a 3rd/4th liner. What's so good?
Petry: Good vision on seeing Petry become as good as he is today. But look at Petry's stats 5-6 years ago though. Not sure if a $33M 6 years contract with a NMC was that hard to negotiate for what he was at the time.
Danault: Pretty good contract. Hopefully he gives us another solid season before he costs 6-7M per year
Gallagher: I'll give him a steal there! He's clearly underpaid for what he brings to the ice and off the ice. I'm afraid of what he will cost next but it's Gally, he's not gonna ask for much right, right?

I don't think Drouin being our highest paid forward a good sign. There simply is no player (Gally?) worth really that much more. This team not having forwards with 8-9M contracts is not MB's genius, it's because there's a lack of talent.

TLDR: Apart from Gally and Danault, I think most of MB's signature were average or bad contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad