Max Domi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I can be strong but IMHO Max is back. He played good today (the game began at 1:00 a.m. here), he was agressive, skated very well, one fed his partners. Only his defense... . It's a pity if it would be better he could play a center under Torts.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone else get the vibe that Portzline is not a fan of Max Domi?

Yeah certainly. He loves Jenner, Foligno, Cam, and Roslovic for sure. But yeah he rips into Domi a lot, but I can’t really blame him as most of it is right

However he has played really well the last two games aside from rom the OT against Florida. Hope he keeps it up. Meanwhile Anderson has cooled off with only 1 goal in the last 10 games

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yeah certainly. He loves Jenner, Foligno, Cam, and Roslovic for sure. But yeah he rips into Domi a lot, but I can’t really blame him as most of it is right

However he has played really well the last two games aside from rom the OT against Florida. Hope he keeps it up. Meanwhile Anderson has cooled off with only 1 goal in the last 10 games
Chickens are counted only in spring, players play until the end of the season.
IMHO Domi is a very good player and I was always shocked why you wanted to trade him.

Last edited:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He's not as useless as some have been preaching. I'd still like to see him given the opportunity to play up the middle. The team lacks centers and not smallish type wingers. But because "winning" a few more games in an almost certain non playoff year is more important than team and player development he won't get that opportunity (some will say he's already had his chance). If he's not in the long term plans to play center on this team then trade him at the deadline. They can find plenty of players that can play wing. He's not needed.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Max’s last two games have been encouraging as he has demonstrated his skill and vision. I’ve been hard on Max because he simply has played mostly terrible hockey to put it bluntly. Unlike some however, I have been against any notion of trading him as he needs a chance to play through his funk. I’ve also thought maybe we needed a chance to see him under a different coach next year (Yes, I don’t expect Torts to return).

In the meantime, one (or two) good games does not a hero make. I hope that he can consistently find his game and importantly for this team, be able to play center. This would be a huge plus for the team. Here’s to his string of play continuing this week.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I would start experimenting with double shifting Domi late in games with Laine and Bjork , yesterday for example late in that third ... Domi the best passer and playmaker on this team, by far . Nash is a nice #3 or #4 center , he has no business on the top line . Now that Domi is getting confidence back, and moving his legs , let’s give him a shot at center again

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone else get the vibe that Portzline and many other professional hockey writers have never tied a pair of ice skates in their life and essentially know nothing about the game of hockey at all??

No. Just because I disagree with someone about their opinion about hockey doesn’t mean they don’t know what they’re talking about. You don’t have to be a former player to know the game. Lots of coaches and some of the best broadcasters have never actually played the sport they cover/coach.

Reactions: Price is Wright

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I’d like him to keep his feet moving at all times and in all zones, and his decision making (mainly his attempts to make the extra unnecessary deke/pass) needs to still be cleaned up a bit, but, it’s clear he’s a VERY skilled player that can be very impactful if given the right linemates and opportunities.

Both a very skilled passer and shooter. His defensive ability/“awareness” could be improved, and I mean that literally. He is very good with his stick and has the willingness/drive/toughness to do the things needed to be good defensively, just doesn’t seem to be able to put it all together at the same time, at all times.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Anyone else get the vibe that Portzline and many other professional hockey writers have never tied a pair of ice skates in their life and essentially know nothing about the game of hockey at all??

It is more than not playing hockey. Modern reporters who sit home and tweet and judge themselves based on likes and followers don’t seem to understand team dynamics. It is not like the old days working at a newspaper with a large staff so they get a sense of how personalities mesh, how an editor interacts with reporters, etc. It has become a fairly solitary profession and they act like they have some sort of special insight into team dynamics when they are completely clueless.

I have had jobs where I hated my boss but I still had to perform because it was in my best interest. I have managed teams where I didn’t like someone but they had a particular skill that I needed on the team. I have managed teams where two people hated each other and wouldn’t speak to each other and all their communication came through me. I don’t think many reporters today understand these dynamics.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We're way past the point with Domi of even talking about chemistry or coaching. There is a baseline expectation of what an NHL player can do even if he's got a shitty coach and bad linemates. And Domi isn't playing at that baseline. Yes it's between his ears. Personally I don't want to keep a player who needs months at a time to fix his issues. This isn't going to be the last time in his career where he doesn't have the perfect situation around him.

I agree with you that Torts isn’t the problem when it comes to Domi’s play on the ice. The fact that Torts being his coach might negatively affect him mentally somehow, is still on Domi.

And I don’t believe that Domi has played good hockey to start the year.

BUT MY GOD tone the shit down a bit. Most of your comments on Domi at this point are worse than the undeserved “hate” that anything Wennberg or Dubinsky got from people.

We (maybe just I) get it, you like Anderson and don’t like Domi, but let’s take it easy on such broad evaluations after such a small amount of games.

Domi > Anderson

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No. Just because I disagree with someone about their opinion about hockey doesn’t mean they don’t know what they’re talking about. You don’t have to be a former player to know the game. Lots of coaches and some of the best broadcasters have never actually played the sport they cover/coach.
There's not a coach in the NHL who didn't play. Cooper only played through high school, but everyone else played above that level so far as I can determine.

Most color men played the game at the highest level. Play-by-play guys generally don't have good hockey playing pedigrees, but calling a hockey game is a very difficult job which is a craft that doesn't require a playing background.

Last edited:

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
There's not a coach in the NHL who didn't play. Cooper only played through high school, but everyone else played above that level so far as I can determine.

Most color men played the game at the highest level. Play-by-play guys generally don't have good hockey playing pedigrees, but calling a hockey game is a very difficult job which is a craft that doesn't require a playing background.

I got interested in John's playing career after your message, and I went to find copper but ended up finding gold.

yomDYUz.png

Reactions: koteka

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I got interested in John's playing career after your message, and I went to find copper but ended up finding gold.

yomDYUz.png

Pretty easy to figure out. He averaged two fighting majors and a minor each game. And I could totally see Torts having a playoff series like that

Reactions: 6zag

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

yomDYUz.png

Torts was a decent player in the ACHL-which was the forerunner to the ECHL.
You might be interested in these:

“I played for Henry in Virginia for a number of years and I am forever grateful to him,” Tortorella said. “I never even thought about coaching, I never thought I was going to stop playing, but I got injured and he came to me and gave me my first opportunity to start coaching. So I am forever indebted to him.”
Brabham had big impact on Tortorella

Before becoming a longtime veteran bench boss in the NHL, Columbus Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella earned $6,000 coaching in the now-defunct Atlantic Coast Hockey League:
“My first pro coaching job was in Roanoke, Virginia [in 1986]. It was back in the old Atlantic Coast Hockey League … and [Rick Dudley] was coaching in Winston-Salem and he had a goon squad, we’d play them 18 times a year, I think there were four teams in the league at that time. You talk about some old-time hockey back in the day there,” Tortorella said during his appearance on Hockey Central earlier this month.
There, he earned $6,000 a year.
“That was a lot of money for me back then,” he said. “We were just starting our family.”
NHL coaches, GMs share stories of their first jobs in hockey - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:
Reactions: 6zag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad