Max Domi

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Not sure if anyone saw his interview on Tort's system, but not too convincing that he liked it and felt he could thrive under it.

Reactions: I3LI3

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He hasnt done much points, but he is giving everything what he can. His offensive ability is something what we dont have, he doesnt have linemates with same brainlines. If and Bjorky can find eachother it could be lethal, Domi is great passer with great hands. He is smiling in every game that tells something. I like this guy
I would agree his line mates don’t have the same brainlines. Right now he and Bjorkstrand don’t click at all. Now to me, Bjork is one of the most cerebral offensive players we have. He sees the ice well and positions himself well. All of which leads me to wonder what what those lines in his brain are saying to him. In any case, I don’t think they should be on the same line. Bjork meshed much better with Tex.

After his experience in Montreal, he needs a coach who is going to build him up, not one that he is worried about getting benched if he makes a mistake.

He is actually an amazing passer. He has to use his speed more and go to the net and shoot more. Wants to dangle fandangle too much.
Yep, there’s times a simpler play might be the better play. Also, I might agree that his confidence is suffering after being shifted from center. I think Tex is going thru something similar.

Reactions: Bookker

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched the Domi interview and I can understand that he's overthinking things. He has to hate feeling like the square peg here.

Is the simple solution to that to just have everyone be super nice and supportive of him and ignore his screwups and leave him at 2C until he stops overthinking? Claude Noel Joy?

I think for the Jackets, as with most good teams, the standards that have to be met and the team systems aren't negotiable. If the player can't ultimately meet those standards then he has to go somewhere else. It is far too easy to say that Torts is at fault for this but that's just what it looks like when a new player isn't meshing with the team. It's time to get the team on the same page again. That last 7-3 drubbing should clearly point towards higher standards, not lower.

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Domi would probably do allright behind a legit 1st line center with linemates that fit his style. Currently to me the blue jacket's offense just seems like a mishmash of forwards most of whom are of quality best described as third liners or middle-six players.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm still chalking Domi up to him being very streaky.
I think he will be fine at some point. I don't think he is a #1C, but again on this roster he may be the guy who gets slotted there.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Danault would have been a better fit for us, perhaps we can get him in the off season

I totally agree. I am not sure what Jarmo was thinking trading for a skills finesse player to play in Tort's system.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
First...I'm genuinely interested in how Domi is doing. I liked the kid up until he started to look disinterested and then whiney because other centers surpassed him. He has the tools to be a 1C....if he had the will.

So how is he doing? Is his nasty streak on display? Board battles? Effort?

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
First...I'm genuinely interested in how Domi is doing. I liked the kid up until he started to look disinterested and then whiney because other centers surpassed him. He has the tools to be a 1C....if he had the will.

So how is he doing? Is his nasty streak on display? Board battles? Effort?

He hasn't really been impressive but I'm hoping he can get some resemblance of a game going. He, in my opinion, makes so many dumb decisions although he has been better recently. I find that most of these decisions come on the PP where he is on the other half wall. He's like that kid on your hockey team growing up who thought he was the best player on the ice so he took every shot he could even though the actual best player is across the ice waiting for a one timer. He forces pucks to the net just because there's a shot open without actually working the puck around but I kinda don't blame him all that much considering its a literal miracle when the PP can get setup, so when one of our guys sees an opening the natural response is SWEET JESUS SHOOT THE PUCK WE ONLY HAVE 9 SHOTS THROUGH 30 minutes of play. When he was getting more ice time we saw a lot of failed dangles and turnovers, pretty sure Torts has told him to simplify his game and he kinda has to since he's on the 4th line atm.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He hasn't really been impressive but I'm hoping he can get some resemblance of a game going. He, in my opinion, makes so many dumb decisions although he has been better recently. I find that most of these decisions come on the PP where he is on the other half wall. He's like that kid on your hockey team growing up who thought he was the best player on the ice so he took every shot he could even though the actual best player is across the ice waiting for a one timer. He forces pucks to the net just because there's a shot open without actually working the puck around but I kinda don't blame him all that much considering its a literal miracle when the PP can get setup, so when one of our guys sees an opening the natural response is SWEET JESUS SHOOT THE PUCK WE ONLY HAVE 9 SHOTS THROUGH 30 minutes of play. When he was getting more ice time we saw a lot of failed dangles and turnovers, pretty sure Torts has told him to simplify his game and he kinda has to since he's on the 4th line atm.

Exactly what he did in Montreal and great observations...

His glaring weaknes for Julien was his 200 ft game. Second weakness was selfish play for a center.

The essence of a center is to help his wingers. In the offensive zone, he must be behind the puck while his wingers are ahead of the puck.....on the net or in scoring positions. He can't do that if he thinks he's the only one that can score and doesn't use his wingers.

Question is...does he want to learn? I'm sure Torts and the coaching staff see what you and see, but Domi may be a hard head. He certainly has the tools.....

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Danault would have been a better fit for us, perhaps we can get him in the off season
Yes but...

His offense is at best, 3rd line center. Roslovic, Danault, Domi is not going to get you far. That is a collection of 2C and 3C trying to be 1C. We had the exact same problem when we used Danault as a 1C.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Exactly what he did in Montreal and great observations...

His glaring weaknes for Julien was his 200 ft game. Second weakness was selfish play for a center.

The essence of a center is to help his wingers. In the offensive zone, he must be behind the puck while his wingers are ahead of the puck.....on the net or in scoring positions. He can't do that if he thinks he's the only one that can score and doesn't use his wingers.

Question is...does he want to learn? I'm sure Torts and the coaching staff see what you and see, but Domi may be a hard head. He certainly has the tools.....
Still too early to judge but we will see, he has competed hard he just hasn't been good. Who knows if he will be in Columbus in the long term, I would like to know how the hell he put up 72 points in a season, his shooting percentage must have been sky high?

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Still too early to judge but we will see, he has competed hard he just hasn't been good. Who knows if he will be in Columbus in the long term, I would like to know how the hell he put up 72 points in a season, his shooting percentage must have been sky high?
When one has 72 points and plus 20, one has 52 goals scored against. Conclusion, relatively poor defensively.

Domi was exiting early, before we had clear possession, wasn't always working the zone behind the goal red line, etc. He was playing more like a winger then a center. He also a bit selfish when his line had opportunities.

To me, a good center is behind the puck, always trying to pull defenders toward him to open up space and lanes to his wingers and should have at least a 2 to 1 assist to goal ratio.

Let's see if Torts makes him a better player.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
When one has 72 points and plus 20, one has 52 goals scored against. Conclusion, relatively poor defensively.

Domi was exiting early, before we had clear possession, wasn't always working the zone behind the goal red line, etc. He was playing more like a winger then a center. He also a bit selfish when his line had opportunities.

To me, a good center is behind the puck, always trying to pull defenders toward him to open up space and lanes to his wingers and should have at least a 2 to 1 assist to goal ratio.

Let's see if Torts makes him a better player.

HE WAS +20... that can't mean he was horrible on D. If you are -20... then that is an issue.

Plus means you are winning.... more goals than not.

He needs a different coach, not an old school guy like Torts with grind, dump and chase. I could have told you it was a horrible match before the trade.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020

His confidence was up and not worried about making mistakes. He also played with Drouin who he connected with well. Fast, creative players.

Right not his confidence looks horrible.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I am wondering if we see Laine-Domi-Björkstrand at some point to get Domi going.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
He needs a different coach, not an old school guy like Torts with grind, dump and chase. I could have told you it was a horrible match before the trade.

Heard the exact same thing about Panarin and Laine yet they produced/are producing.

From what I see the effort is there but he is just making some boneheaded decisions with the puck like trying to pass through a player before gaining the blueline in his own zone that led to a 2 on 0 goal in the last game.

That’s not a system thing but a player thing.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Plus means you are winning.... more goals than not.

That's not really what +/- means.

Wysh List: The most overrated advanced stats in hockey

Travis Yost, TSN
The biggest reason plus-minus is such a useless measure is that it's not exclusive to any one game state. Plus-minus includes all even-strength goals, goals with goaltenders pulled, and even short-handed goals. In other words: It is impossible to use plus-minus to make apples-to-apples comparisons across players.

So the hockey community came up with a brilliantly simple way to fix plus-minus, and that's to use goal percentage. Goal percentage -- full disclosure, it's a measure I use to this day -- simply aggregates the goals scored by a player's team with him on the ice, and divides out by the total number of goals scored, both for and against. We tend to use goal percentage for even-strength and 5-on-5 comparisons, and for descriptive purposes, it's quite useful.

The problem is that people still, to this day, use goal percentage as a meaningful data point for forecasting or predicting future goal percentage, and that is outstandingly dangerous. We already know expected goals and/or Corsi for percentage are vastly superior measures at predicting future goal percentage, both because the sampling data is substantially larger and the impact of small sample variance are substantially lower. We also know that goal percentage is a very weak predictor of future goal percentage for a multitude of reasons.

Context is key.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Heard the exact same thing about Panarin and Laine yet they produced/are producing.

From what I see the effort is there but he is just making some boneheaded decisions with the puck like trying to pass through a player before gaining the blueline in his own zone that led to a 2 on 0 goal in the last game.

Would guess he is overthinking everything at this point due to receiving feedback on every single thing he does wrong small or big (not that he should not hear about it)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

He shot 13.8% that season, which isn't unreasonably high (thinking of William Karlsson in his first year with Vegas). Domi's career shooting % is 10.1%. He also played a career-high 17:23 a game in '18-'19 and kicked in 11 points on the power play.

That's...not what that means.
upload_2021-2-25_10-34-52.png
upload_2021-2-25_10-36-9.png

At 5v5 that season, he was on the ice for 67 goals scored and 43 against. You can see on a per 60 minutes basis he doesn't really stick out as being bad.

upload_2021-2-25_10-38-21.png

In all situations (which includes PP, PK, and 3v3 OT), Domi was on the ice for 94 goals scored and 58 against. This isn't as helpful as looking at 5v5 or even-strength because Domi saw PP time but wasn't part of their PK.

+/- is overrated and not all that useful and it definitely does not tell us what you think it does.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
+/- is overrated and not all that useful and it definitely does not tell us what you think it does.

I don't want to get into an "advanced stats" side conversation, but one things that I always think about when looking into them - and, to be clear, folks like you and others who help out with those is something I appreciate greatly because it's not something that comes easily to me...

But more broadly about stats in general:

Like most "advanced stats" (because surely +/- was considered such as one time), it's a stat intended to provide context to simpler stats. Of course, +/- also requires context. Any stat is only as valuable as the context it provides and things that provide context to it. IMO.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don't want to get into an "advanced stats" side conversation, but one things that I always think about when looking into them - and, to be clear, folks like you and others who help out with those is something I appreciate greatly because it's not something that comes easily to me...

But more broadly about stats in general:

Like most "advanced stats" (because surely +/- was considered such as one time), it's a stat intended to provide context to simpler stats. Of course, +/- also requires context. Any stat is only as valuable as the context it provides and things that provide context to it. IMO.
I use +/- in a general way. The further away from even in the minus direction will make me look at that player closer to see if it is his play that is the cause, or is it the lines and or situations they wind up in. Same for the plus side.

I have been trying to learn the advanced side of stats, but I admit, I have a hard time keeping things straight.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
+/- would be an excellent stat if PP, PK & empty net situations were simply totally omitted from the stat.

Now you can compare +/- stats only for players that have very similar TOI distribution of ES/PP/PK. And as always with team stats, direct comparisons for players on different teams are not very helpful. "Relative 5-on-5 goal differential" should be pretty good comparison, just like Corsi Rel. would be if the goal of the game was about just getting a lot of Corsi events for, which it isn't.

Reactions: Ippenator

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Right. It's mostly stuff that every coach ever will have an issue with.

Would guess he is overthinking everything at this point due to receiving feedback on every single thing he does wrong small or big (not that he should not hear about it)

That might be but Torts was saying that he and Domi haven't done meetings, that Torts isn't a big meeting guy in general. There is video work, possibly with Torts or the assistants. Domi was complaining that Julien wasn't communicating with him so it did concern me that Torts said they hadn't had a meeting.

In any case, players can struggle for a lot of reasons, and Domi likely knows that he's stinking it up and is getting on his own case about it. You don't need a coach to tell you that you suck when you are playing this poorly.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad