Player Discussion Max Domi - The Maximum Dominator (70+ Point) Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
You're right, you probably need two defensive forwards to cover for how much of a liability that defensive trainwreck Drouin is.

He is not that bad + there is also two d men and a goalie on the ice.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He is not that bad + there is also two d men and a goalie on the ice.

Yes, again, I agree with you.

I also think we should have our 2 best defensive forwards, our 2 best defensemen (Weber + Petry) and Price on the ice at all times when Drouin is out there because of how much of a liability he is.

Jul 6, 2016

I also think we should have our 2 best defensive forwards, our 2 best defensemen (Weber + Petry) and Price on the ice at all times when Drouin is out there because of how much of a liability he is.

On about every single nhl teams you have someone who is a liability in their top six players. I can live with Drouin’s shortcomings as long s he is producing.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Wonder what his contract will be...hopefully we can lock him up for a full 8 years. This kid is a big market player, just what we need for Montreal.

Also 1 point away from a new career high.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

That's why I like Drouin playing with Danault and Gallagher. It fits.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wonder what his contract will be...hopefully we can lock him up for a full 8 years. This kid is a big market player, just what we need for Montreal.

Also 1 point away from a new career high.

If he keeps this up, it's going to be $8M+ AAV for sure. I just wonder how our cap space will be used moving forward.

2020 Off Season:
- Domi goes from $3.15M to $8M+?
- Mete goes from $748k to ???
- Juulsen goes from $863k to ???

2021 Off Season:
- Gallagher goes from $3.75M to $8M+?
- Petry goes from $5.5M to $7M+
- Tatar goes from $4.8M to $7M+
- Danault goes from $3.083M to ???
- Kotkaniemi goes from $925k to ???

Were looking at about $20-$25M of additional cap hits with these 8 players in the next two off seasons after this next one. Maybe we need to be careful with how we spend our current cap space this summer? Looks to me like one of Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, or Danault won't be with us after 2021. Or, we possibly don't protect Weber in the expansion draft (he will be 36 the following season and has 1 or 2 years left)... that would save about $8M.

Reactions: calder candidate

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
If he keeps this up, it's going to be $8M+ AAV for sure. I just wonder how our cap space will be used moving forward.

2020 Off Season:
- Domi goes from $3.15M to $8M+?
- Mete goes from $748k to ???
- Juulsen goes from $863k to ???

2021 Off Season:
- Gallagher goes from $3.75M to $8M+?
- Petry goes from $5.5M to $7M+
- Tatar goes from $4.8M to $7M+
- Danault goes from $3.083M to ???
- Kotkaniemi goes from $925k to ???

Were looking at about $20-$25M of additional cap hits with these 8 players in the next two off seasons after this next one. Maybe we need to be careful with how we spend our current cap space this summer? Looks to me like one of Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, or Danault won't be with us after 2021. Or, we possibly don't protect Weber in the expansion draft (he will be 36 the following season and has 1 or 2 years left)... that would save about $8M.
$8 million for Gallagher? $7 million for Tatar? Are you expecting the cap to go up to $200 million?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
$8 million for Gallagher? $7 million for Tatar? Are you expecting the cap to go up to $200 million?

Expecting the cap to be around $90M in the 2021 off season. That's 3 years of inflation and yeah, salaries will be going up. What, do you think Gallagher gets a modest raise 3 years from now? :laugh:

If Gallagher keeps doing what he is doing for the rest of this year and two more seasons, he will get paid. If you don't pay him, he will walk and someone else will pay him.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

7 M$ for Tatar and Petry might be a bit much but they aren’t taking salary cuts and Domi, Gallagher, Mete and KK are all getting significant raises, you have guy like Danault, Armia, Lehkonen or there replacement... We definitely don’t have that much money to spend this summer... If we bring some in it is to give us the flexibility to move a guy that might want more than what he is worth going fw and not someone to try to build around...

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Game winner last night in overtime.
Coyotes moving into serious playoff contention and their best player is Galchenyuk.

He's got 34 points in 51 games including 14 goals....If that's their best player, than the Coyotes are really in trouble.

Even if Domi and Galchenyuk had the same amount of points, i'd still take Domi as I think he's way more of a complete player and is always implicated, even if it's not reflected on the score sheet.

I actually can't wait to see Domi in the playoffs as I think he's the type of player that will crank it up to another level.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Game winner last night in overtime.
Coyotes moving into serious playoff contention and their best player is Galchenyuk.

He played 14 minutes last night in a game that went to overtime, I doubt they'd play their "best player" less than guys like Josh Archibald, Lawson Crouse and Nick Cousins.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
I think Domi will need to improve his PPG at least to 1 during next season if he wants to hit the 8M+ long term. I see him having a Monahan kind of deal, around 6,5M-7M x 6 years (with the cap growing) that leads him to 30y/o so he can sign another worthy contract

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Expecting the cap to be around $90M in the 2021 off season. That's 3 years of inflation and yeah, salaries will be going up. What, do you think Gallagher gets a modest raise 3 years from now? :laugh:

If Gallagher keeps doing what he is doing for the rest of this year and two more seasons, he will get paid. If you don't pay him, he will walk and someone else will pay him.

And we'll gladly laugh at the team handing a guy who broke 50 points once in his career a 7M+ contract.
Come on, get real.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And we'll gladly laugh at the team handing a guy who broke 50 points once in his career a 7M+ contract.
Come on, get real.

If he scores 30 goals this year and the next two.. that's 4 seasons in a row. Then add inflation for 3 cap increases and there you have it. You are trying to use today's cap numbers when it's 3 seasons down the road.

Time to wake up :laugh:

giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Domi will need to improve his PPG at least to 1 during next season if he wants to hit the 8M+ long term. I see him having a Monahan kind of deal, around 6,5M-7M x 6 years (with the cap growing) that leads him to 30y/o so he can sign another worthy contract

We talking about today's cap hits or what cap hits will be after the salary cap increases twice? If Domi is continues his current production (70+ pts and 25+ goals) as a center, he will get $8M in the 2020 off season. Smart thing for the Habs to do is lock him up long term after July 1st this summer. Give him the Nylander deal now before the cap increases more and more and it gets out of control like it did with the Leafs with Nylander, Matthews, and Marner.

SillkyMittens

Dec 5, 2017
If he scores 30 goals this year and the next two.. that's 4 seasons in a row. Then add inflation for 3 cap increases and there you have it. You are trying to use today's cap numbers when it's 3 seasons down the road.

Time to wake up :laugh:

There is no way Gallagher gets 8M$/y. If someone wants to pay him that much, they'll regret it halfway through the contract, if not sooner.

A Nylander type of deal for Domi I'd be down for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no way Gallagher gets 8M$/y. If someone wants to pay him that much, they'll regret it halfway through the contract, if not sooner.

A Nylander type of deal for Domi I'd be down for.

Never say never. The cap is growing weather you like it or not. Agents will be looking for larger AAV contracts for top 6 talent moving forward and Gallagher's next contract comes with a salary cap that grows 3 times.

I'm not saying I would sign Galllagher at $8M... I'm saying don't be surprised he ask for that if he has 4 seasons in a row with 30 goals.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's got 34 points in 51 games including 14 goals....If that's their best player, than the Coyotes are really in trouble.

Even if Domi and Galchenyuk had the same amount of points, i'd still take Domi as I think he's way more of a complete player and is always implicated, even if it's not reflected on the score sheet.

I actually can't wait to see Domi in the playoffs as I think he's the type of player that will crank it up to another level.

Yeah sometimes there's a disconnect between production and being 'implicated in the play' Patches and Pleks would produce well enough but they just somehow didn't really implicate themselves 5 on 5. Galch kind of too.

Guys like Domi are producing but also 'creating' as well. I agree with you.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He played 14 minutes last night in a game that went to overtime, I doubt they'd play their "best player" less than guys like Josh Archibald, Lawson Crouse and Nick Cousins.
That's a bad way of looking at it. Coaches ALWAYS play certain players a lot more even if they aren't the best players. Nate Thompson played more than Domi last night. It doesn't mean anything.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
That's a bad way of looking at it. Coaches ALWAYS play certain players a lot more even if they aren't the best players. Nate Thompson played more than Domi last night. It doesn't mean anything.

If you follow the team closely than you'd know that Galchenyuk is NOT their best player. He'S had a very inconscient season and have played on the first to 4 line all year.

He got skills for sure by he's not the driving force there. He's not earning the top minutes but can flash you with the highlight goal here and there

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Probably because we were up 5-0 26 minutes into the game, meanwhile in our 1 goal win against Columbus Domi played almost 20 minutes.

Galchenyuk continues to put up PP points and is productive in OT, however he's onto his 3rd coach in the NHL who doesn't rely on him at ES which makes sense considering he has as many ES points as Jordie Benn this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->