Player Discussion Max Domi - The Maximum Dominator (70+ Point) Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I've acknowledged that your post was for this year only while adding context for the longer term.

I would argue that in respect of Pacioretty this year, he has better production than Tatar given his higher PPG rate.

And that while Domi's PPG rate is better, Domi's production is not double that of Galchenyuk as asserted in the post I was replying to.

Other than that, I don't disagree with your other points in respect of the season to date.
Ya, I was rounding and doing abouts lol

Think I’ll have another coffee :laugh:

K, Domi is scoring 1.8 times more than Chucky :)

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ya, I was rounding and doing abouts lol

Think I’ll have another coffee :laugh:

K, Domi is scoring 1.8 times more than Chucky :)

Actually, Domi's .89 PPG can't be 1.8 more than Chucky's .61 PPG. The difference between both values is only .28.

I think we both need a coffee. :P

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Not sure I agree cause we have to know who is coming back the other way before we say it's a mistake. I'm open to trading Gallagher depending on the return. Gallagher is 2.5 years away from UFA and is going to demand a huge raise. Do you think he can maintain his level of play from 30-35? I'm not too sure about it.
What would make that trade good though? Like no team is going to give up a piece of a contender for Gallagher (top 4 D/top line fwd), and at best you could grab a 1st rounder, probably from a better team, meaning you'd have to have some hell of a lucky pick to grab a Gally-level player towards the end of the first round, and if you do draft that guy, he won't be good until price, weber et al., are too old to be effective.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would make that trade good though? Like no team is going to give up a piece of a contender for Gallagher (top 4 D/top line fwd), and at best you could grab a 1st rounder, probably from a better team, meaning you'd have to have some hell of a lucky pick to grab a Gally-level player towards the end of the first round, and if you do draft that guy, he won't be good until price, weber et al., are too old to be effective.

1) Gallagher's value is very high. Great cap hit for 2.5 more years and in his prime years too!
2) Gallagher is getting way more than a "1st at best"
3) You don't have to trade Gallagher to just cup contending teams. Pretty sure the Oilers would be very interested.

Do you seriously think we only get a 1st for Gallagher?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
To have seen Domi play live a few times this year

1 - faster than I thought, especially with the puck
2 - a real dikhead on the ice, "face à bucher", especially behind the play and after the whistle
3 - possibly the slowest guy in the league for line changes - starts gliding 75 feet from the bench while other C waits and waits and waits for him to get to the bench... one of my pet peeves

I'd rather have him on my team that for the opposition (especially the Bruins). It's a fine line for him and you have to take the good with the bad.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You’re going on PPG, I’m going on PTS period......:neener:

PPG is the more realistic representation. If one player plays more games while the comparable is injured, you're obviously going to get skewed results.

If you want to go to that extent just to get MB a win, then you should be preparing your resume. A job awaits you in their propaganda dept. ... I mean, PR Dept. :D

Reactions: jaffy27

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's 52 games into the season when is this so-called mean going to rear its ugly head? Next year? Two years from now? The last year of his career? If you watch him play you can make a stronger argument that he is snake bitten with stone-handed linemates than the argument that he is playing above his mean. If you look at Seguin's career when do you go to establish a mean. His first year in the league? Second? Or after a few years in dallas? So you're talking about a mean that has not been established yet because he hasn't been in the league long enough to have an established mean.
Regardless of any of this, fact is, players get highs and lows. Suggesting ''he can only improve'' is false. No, he could also come back down. Doesn't mean I expect him to, just saying, that's also a possibility.
Seguin, he's in his 9th season, he's proven himself, but he had also already put up close to 70pts as a sophomore so his Dallas first season wasn't such an outlier, certainly nowhere near Domi's current one.
But again, nobody said Domi won't keep this up, simply pointed out it was a possibility. Domi isn't going to be a proven top center until he does it on multiple occasions.

Also, your last argument about a drop in NHL production is really pointless and self defeating. If there's a drop in production in the league that means it's for everyone so Domi's position relative to other centers in the league would be the same. Example: A Reinhart who plays in a high scoring NHL has 70 points and is 35th OA . The same Reinhart plays in a defensive NHL and he has 50 points and is also 35th OA. You're telling me the first Reinhart is more valuable than the second?
Not sure what any of this has to do with what I said. I never discussed the value of Domi.
Who you kidding though, you think Domi scoring 50pts in a lower scoring league is going to garner him as much attention as if he ends this year around 75pts?
The top centers of the NHL are going to put up those bigger numbers regardless of the type of league they play in. They will remain in the ppg+ range. If our top line center just puts up around the 55pt mark in a normal NHL....well...that's Plekanec level and without those heavy duty match ups.

None of this is a knock on Domi, he's having an excellent season and I hope he keeps this up.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
PPG is the more realistic representation. If one player plays more games while the comparable is injured, you're obviously going to get skewed results.

If you want to go to that extent just to get MB a win, then you should be preparing your resume. A job awaits you in their propaganda dept. ... I mean, PR Dept. :D
Id get that job hands down, and get to fly the team around :naughty:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Id get that job hands down, and get to fly the team around :naughty:

I know you would. I've already seen your application flying around my neighborhood.

edPdjun.jpg

:sarcasm:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Ppg is better

And to rectify Jaffy, Domi is scoring at 1,46 (146%) times what Chucky is doing, not 1.8

Reactions: Runner77

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
1) Gallagher's value is very high. Great cap hit for 2.5 more years and in his prime years too!
2) Gallagher is getting way more than a "1st at best"
3) You don't have to trade Gallagher to just cup contending teams. Pretty sure the Oilers would be very interested.

Do you seriously think we only get a 1st for Gallagher?
Not at all, what I meant is that for a Gally trade to work, we'd need to get a big piece coming back, whether that's a roster player, a draft pick, or combination of both. If the Habs get a first in a trade for Gallagher, I strongly doubt the other pieces are going to be all that impressive.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Even if Galchenyuk and Domi has equal PPG...one plays center better. We win.
Another point is, Domi style of play helps the Habs more than Galchenyuk. The Habs already have a player who has great offensive talent but lacks defensive skills in Drouin. We seen the team with both Drouin and Galchenyuk and they just didn't help the team on both sides of the game.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Galchenyuk has 26pts......26 x 1.8 = 46.8

Domi has 47 pts

Unless the point totals are not up to date

in POINTS PER GAME

They haven't played nearly the same amount of games. Simply comparing their points is pointless.

In PPG.. 0,61 for galchenyuk time (x) 1,46 = Domi's 0,89 ppg

Otherwise, you need to also factor domi played 1,20 times the games played Galchenyuk has

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
To have seen Domi play live a few times this year

1 - faster than I thought, especially with the puck
2 - a real dikhead on the ice, "face à bucher", especially behind the play and after the whistle
3 - possibly the slowest guy in the league for line changes - starts gliding 75 feet from the bench while other C waits and waits and waits for him to get to the bench... one of my pet peeves

I'd rather have him on my team that for the opposition (especially the Bruins). It's a fine line for him and you have to take the good with the bad.
I was totally unaware of that thing, about him getting to the bench for a line change. That's why watching live is fun, you are not stuck to look at where the camera is pointing...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
in POINTS PER GAME

They haven't played nearly the same amount of games. Simply comparing their points is pointless.

In PPG.. 0,61 for galchenyuk time (x) 1,46 = Domi's 0,89 ppg

Otherwise, you need to also factor domi played 1,20 times the games played Galchenyuk has
I’m basing on production.....Galchenyuk unable to stay healthy is not Domi’s problem.

“Point” is (no pun intended :laugh:), Domi is out producing Galchenyuk by a wide margin.

I get what you’re saying, I’ve had this discussion with Runner already. :)

Domi is younger, cheaper, more engaged and more productive and apparently healthier.

It’s a.........
BZ9v.gif

Reactions: koyvoo

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Max has 18 primary assists at even strength this season which ranks him tied at 15th place in the entire league.

Marner leads the league with 28

Crosby 23
Gaudreau 21
Point 21
McDavid 20
P. Kane 19
Malkin 19
Backstrom 18
MacKinnon 17
Johansen 17
Duchene 16
Tavares 15

Some good company... :laugh:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I’m basing on production.....Galchenyuk unable to stay healthy is not Domi’s problem
So by this logic, Subban scored 3.68 times more than Weber did last year and is scoring 1.67 times more than Weber has since the trade.

That's just silly. In fact, this type of logic is actually detracting from the praise Domi deserves this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad