Rumor: Max Domi Sucks - Not Being Actively Shopped per Chayka

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Selling low is something that bothers me to my very core. I'm so stubborn about it I'd rather eat the loss than be part of someone else big score!
OEL's trade value has certainly been higher than it is now, but trading him would not be "selling low". His value is only going to decline from here. The acquiring team would get him for two playoff runs this TDL, whereas a draft day deal or next TDL would give them just one playoff run. Next TDL is rental prices, which would REALLY be selling low. Players are never worth more than they are at the TDL; draft picks and prospects are never worth less. Draft picks are never worth more than they are on Draft Day; players are never worth less. If you hate selling low and your primary concern is maximizing the return, you should be advocating an OEL trade now, not later.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Just keep Max Domi. This season is a write off for him, but see how he adjusts in the summer, what he does to evolve and take it from there next year. Keep him and let him know about it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Nice to see others spin some stats that make it a pretty easy arbitration hearing for AZ if things go that way.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
With his stat line it's closer to $2.25

This year for sure, if even that. Rieder got that but he's good defensively.

But how much of a factor will his rookie year and split year last season have? In baseball it would matter a lot. It seems like in hockey it's pretty rare for these types of players to end up in this situation.

We'd be talking about a 4.5x2 deal or something long that goes past UFA if Domi was having a competent season. Usually if there's heavy regression hits in the sophomore year not the first contract year. Not sure there's an easy comparable out there.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This year for sure, if even that. Rieder got that but he's good defensively.

But how much of a factor will his rookie year and split year last season have? In baseball it would matter a lot. It seems like in hockey it's pretty rare for these types of players to end up in this situation.

We'd be talking about a 4.5x2 deal or something long that goes past UFA if Domi was having a competent season. Usually if there's heavy regression hits in the sophomore year not the first contract year. Not sure there's an easy comparable out there.

With his stats line Domi won't risk arbitration. Agent will defer serious negotiations until Sept and try to leverage $ with term. Get a 3 year deal for $3.25 range.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Domi will want a short term bridge deal I would think. Have a great season (hopefully) and earn a big contract. Of course I thought that was going to be the case this season so...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
OEL's trade value has certainly been higher than it is now, but trading him would not be "selling low". His value is only going to decline from here. The acquiring team would get him for two playoff runs this TDL, whereas a draft day deal or next TDL would give them just one playoff run. Next TDL is rental prices, which would REALLY be selling low. Players are never worth more than they are at the TDL; draft picks and prospects are never worth less. Draft picks are never worth more than they are on Draft Day; players are never worth less. If you hate selling low and your primary concern is maximizing the return, you should be advocating an OEL trade now, not later.
I'm not advocating an OEL trade now or later. Based on the information that is currently available I think trading OEL would be dumb.

Reactions: Jakey53

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Good to see Domi saying he's having fun but if the rumours aren't affecting him what is? More to the game than having fun.

As for a 1D or a 1C they seem equally hard to find. I'd as soon keep the one that we know can be a 1D than trade for someone who may be a 1C. Again, unless he doesn't want to be here.

Reactions: Jakey53

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm not advocating an OEL trade now or later. Based on the information that is currently available I think trading OEL would be dumb.
I think the vast majority of trade discussion is in the event that he doesn't want to re-sign here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
With his stats line Domi won't risk arbitration. Agent will defer serious negotiations until Sept and try to leverage $ with term. Get a 3 year deal for $3.25 range.

I was thinking in the $2.25 range on a bridge deal, but that might be a shade low. Since his injury he has not produced the same, so that is a bit concerning, but I give him a bridge deal and let him prove it next year. IF he can get back to his play before his injury I would gladly pay him and he will probably get more than $3.25 at that point.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Domi hasn’t been the same player. That’s what’s frustrating. Domi physically engaged is a better player. The Domi we have seen this year (stupid cross ice passes through 2 defenders) isn’t the same player we enjoyed the past two years. Is that coaching, a function of knowing that the team was out of the playoffs since the third week of October and/or the emotion fallout of having a pretty substantial injury last year that may have impacted his offseason training. I’m not prepared to write him off. Not by a long shot. He does become “more available” though if we add one of Zadina, Svechnikov, or Tkachuk.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think Domi - and maybe the entire team - would be in much better shape if they weren't trying to go for speed, speed, speed all the time. It seems pretty clear that the team is trying to play a game that's faster than their capacity to think it through.

Domi's best year was with Tippett, whose system was so rigidly patterned and methodical that his speed stood out as a game-changer. Tocchet's team, though, always looks like they're chickens on fire.

Speed can change a game but unmanaged speed just turns things into chaos.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree and rt

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I disagree with our coaching philosophy. I maintain u build a system to support/built around your players and not force your players to play a system u like and that was successful with other players/a different champion caliber team. We are focused on speed and pressure but it has just translated to us turning pucks over faster and spending more time defending.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I disagree with our coaching philosophy. I maintain u build a system to support/built around your players and not force your players to play a system u like and that was successful with other players/a different champion caliber team. We are focused on speed and pressure but it has just translated to us turning pucks over faster and spending more time defending.

I basically agree philosophically but I think there are some other angles to it which leave me wondering about how much this is a part of the problem.

I think the defense is very well suited to what Tocchet is trying to do, besides Schenn. I also think this is true of the wingers though to a lesser extent.

Tucson supposedly does the same thing and they're good. Maybe their roster is a better fit but I don't think it's clear cut there. Although I think the more likely answer is they aren't as rigid about it as the NHL team is.

Where the roster doesn't fit the system: centers. Like at all. Is that enough to derail the entire thing? I think the answer to that could be yes btw, I'm just not sure.

Reactions: Grimes

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You know what really helps a system flourish, having one of the greatest players of all time be your 1C and a first ballot hall of famer be your 2C. Not to mention also having one of the best snipers in the league on the wing.

Reactions: Bandit34, rt and zz

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think you are pretty spot on Sniper. I think ideally we would have some Giroux's and Kadri's in the lineup, but that isnt the case. I dont think Stepan is a terrible fit for the system, but he shouldnt be #1 and isnt good enough on faceoffs to keep momentum when we desperately need it. Much better on the transition and igniting the speedy wingets. Dvo is still developing and is in over his head as well. Then there is Domi, who is, well, a winger. I think RT wanted Domi to magically become a Kadri or Giroux but it isnt happening. Why they won't at least try this with Keller is beyond me.

Will Strome be a good fit? He is in Tucson, but can he translate to the NHL? The rebuild relies on this. Or can we ship him for another top 6 center like rt's Zibanejad proposal.

The transition often looks good, in fact I feel we score most often on it. We have a terribly hard time keeping the puck in the opponents zone, especially when it begins with an offensive zonw faceoff. The defense were making some pretty bad turnovers on the transition, but that has been cleaned up. If we dont get a good cycle going or score on the transition, the puck almost is garunteed to go back our way. This is where I feel like our center depth is killing us.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You know what really helps a system flourish, having one of the greatest players of all time be your 1C and a first ballot hall of famer be your 2C. Not to mention also having one of the best snipers in the league on the wing.
Agree completely.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't necessarily disagree with our coaching philosophy. Tocc or any coach can have whatever philosophy he wants to have as long as that coach or that system can get the most out it's players. Domi is a great example of a player NOT being put into a position to succeed. We have a roster full of under achieving players this year, and to me that is the coaches fault (mostly). Tocc hasn't figured out how to get the most out of his players individually or collectively.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't necessarily disagree with our coaching philosophy. Tocc or any coach can have whatever philosophy he wants to have as long as that coach or that system can get the most out it's players. Domi is a great example of a player NOT being put into a position to succeed. We have a roster full of under achieving players this year, and to me that is the coaches fault (mostly). Tocc hasn't figured out how to get the most out of his players individually or collectively.
It's almost like he's intentionally putting them in a position to fail. Duclair on the 4th line with plugs and little to no PP time. Rieder on the top line. Strome not on a scoring line then to wing. Domi at center. You can go on and on. I don't get it. He had one line that was an actual threat to score. Why not go back to Domi Stepan Keller? All three of them need to get going and maybe they can find the spark they had again. Seems like all we can hope for is another waiver pick up.

Reactions: Yandover

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Maybe it's his philosophy?:)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's almost like he's intentionally putting them in a position to fail. Duclair on the 4th line with plugs and little to no PP time. Rieder on the top line. Strome not on a scoring line then to wing. Domi at center. You can go on and on. I don't get it. He had one line that was an actual threat to score. Why not go back to Domi Stepan Keller? All three of them need to get going and maybe they can find the spark they had again. Seems like all we can hope for is another waiver pick up.
I don’t know what the answer is and I am open to anything. But, almost every player is under performing, some by a lot like Domi. The coach needs to get more out of his players. We aren’t over achieving that’s for sure.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->