Player Discussion Max Domi Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Domi has already shown more as a top 6 C than Galchenyuk ever had. I know he had that stretch, but while the numbers were good, the visual evidence confirmed that he’s a better fit on the wing.

Folks really need to get over this.
Call me again when Domi has 30 goals in 50 games.

Youre drinking from the Bergevin koolaid.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Domi has already shown more as a top 6 C than Galchenyuk ever had. I know he had that stretch, but while the numbers were good, the visual evidence confirmed that he’s a better fit on the wing.

Folks really need to get over this.

Well he's certainly better at handing out cheap shots. Domi has never shown the scoring prowess in the NHL that Chucky has. That's the primary quality you're looking for in a #1C.

As I said, I like Domi's game and he might may very well be an NHL centre. But I sincerely doubt his niche is on the first line.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Do you have any links to share, so I can blacklist any websites or ignore any posters that shared such views? :sarcasm:

Years ago it was fun to go back to old threads on this site, but a while back they started delating them.

Anyway, it was the standard view. You're confused if you think that predicting greatness for Galchenyuk in 2013 was a wrong idea.

Here's one thread:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/galchenyuk-or-subban.1514931/

Also here, he was the #1 prospect in the NHL:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...k-takes-over-as-the-top-nhl-prospect.1509845/

and here:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...lex-galchenyuk-as-a-center-this-year.1511659/

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Don't want to turn this thread into the Galchenyuk thread...

But personally, while I liked Galchenyuk...

I never thought he progressed as a Habs, not sure who was responsible for that whether it was Galchenyuk himself or the coaching staff, I suppose its a good mix of both.

But to me, he's the same player today that he was when he entered the league, he has the same strengths and weaknesses.

I expected him to become a much better player than he is right now.

Maybe a change of scenery will help him.

I also expected him to become a much better player then he was with us. But his ppg progressed well,

I don't count the lockout year since it was just over half a season.

'13 -'14 - .48 ppg
'14 -'15 - .58 ppg
'15 - '16 - .68 ppg
'16 - '17 - .72 ppg

So clearly every year his ppg improved after the lockout year. Now last year it dropped to .62 but he saw time on the 4th line and with DLR which imo was not a smart way to handle a skilled shooter especially if you were planning on trading him in the off-season.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Well he's certainly better at handing out cheap shots. Domi has never shown the scoring prowess in the NHL that Chucky has. That's the primary quality you're looking for in a #1C.

As I said, I like Domi's game and he might may very well be an NHL centre. But I sincerely doubt his niche is on the first line.

AG scoring prowess is overated. He is closer to a 20G scorer than a 30 G one. He only has one season where he scored more than 20G.

More concerning is his 4 goals in 28 playoff games. IMO him and Max sealed their fates on this team after the Rangers series where they both had 0 goals, when 1 from each would of been enough for the habs to win the series. Unless AG is traded he isn't seeing the playoffs again until he is probably 27-28 years old.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I also expected him to become a much better player then he was with us. But his ppg progressed well,

'13 -'14 - .48 ppg
'14 -'15 - .58 ppg
'15 - '16 - .68 ppg
'16 - '17 - .72 ppg

So clearly every year his ppg improved after the lockout year. Now last year it dropped to .62 but he saw time on the 4th line and with DLR which imo was not a smart way to handle a skilled shooter especially if you were planning on trading him in the off-season.
I loved his production, or at least was satisfied. But it’s the way he played hockey that frustrated me, it just seemed he had a clot in the portion of his brain that relates to hockey. And the kid would just not move his feet, when he wants to stick handle he has to put the brakes on, very frustrating.

Reactions: 417

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Chucky was always knocked for his 2 way game and whether he could stay at center. By his junior coaches, his WJC coach and by his NHL coaches. He's a good scorer and that's about it. His game is and has always been full of holes. Still wish we kept him, but it is what it is. I don't think its unreasonable to say Domi has a greater impact all over the ice outside goal scoring.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So far I am happy with Domi, I had worries and he seems so far to be alleviating it. Hope he can continue like this.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

'13 -'14 - .48 ppg
'14 -'15 - .58 ppg
'15 - '16 - .68 ppg
'16 - '17 - .72 ppg

I wasn't really referring to his production...more so his overall game.

He's still the same kind of player he was when he entered the league, which is fine, but I expected more from him initially.

Reactions: jaffy27

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
AG scoring prowess is overated. He is closer to a 20G scorer than a 30 G one. He only has one season where he scored more than 20G.

More concerning is his 4 goals in 28 playoff games. IMO him and Max sealed their fates on this team after the Rangers series where they both had 0 goals, when 1 from each would of been enough for the habs to win the series. Unless AG is traded he isn't seeing the playoffs again until he is probably 27-28 years old.

Where he was traded to is hardly under his control, so why even bring it up? He will likely get far better opportunities and possibly linemates than he enjoyed in Montreal for all but a comparatively few games. He was shuttled around like the ugly kid on the playground who smells funny. :laugh:

Reactions: Peanut

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I loved his production, or at least was satisfied. But it’s the way he played hockey that frustrated me, it just seemed he had a clot in the portion of his brain that relates to hockey. And the kid would just not move his feet, when he wants to stick handle he has to put the brakes on, very frustrating.
Also thought he didn't win nearly enough 1 on 1 battles for a guy with good size, frame and ability. He caused way too many turnovers at both bluelines.

Domi is much more combative in that sense.

But I also think Galchenyuk might have a lot of success playing with Keller, he's the exact kind of player he needs to play with...a puck wizard if you will.

Because while Galchenyuk has impressive hand skills, I thought the less time he had on the puck, the more effective he was. As soon as he got the puck with time and space, he would glide, try to do a million head/shoulder fakes and too often lose the puck or fire it way over the net.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Chucky was always knocked for his 2 way game and whether he could stay at center. By his junior coaches, his WJC coach and by his NHL coaches. He's a good scorer and that's about it. His game is and has always been full of holes. Still wish we kept him, but it is what it is. I don't think its unreasonable to say Domi has a greater impact all over the ice outside goal scoring.

Maybe, but its worth pointing out that Domi hasn't been great defensively either. He's got more hustle than Galchenyuk, but I'm not a huge fan of his defensive reads.

Reactions: Peanut

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe, but its worth pointing out that Domi hasn't been great defensively either. He's got more hustle than Galchenyuk, but I'm not a huge fan of his defensive reads.
Really?

He's made SEVERAL important reads in his own zone to break up plays. If anything, i'm pleasantly surprised by how quickly he's adapted to playing in his own zone.

He's not Patrice Bergeron, but he's a clear improvement in both effort & tactically, at C, compared to Galchenyuk.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Where he was traded to is hardly under his control, so why even bring it up? He will likely get far better opportunities and possibly linemates than he enjoyed in Montreal for all but a comparatively few games. He was shuttled around like the ugly kid on the playground who smells funny. :laugh:

I doubt he gets better line mates. Sure he might wind up with some good young drafted kids, but he isn't going to have a PK/Markov back there, or a Max/Radu on his wing. Heck he might not even get a consummate coaches pet prof like Pleks.

And I brought up playing in AZ because AG has not been good in the playoffs, and he won't get many more chances to improve until he is 28 or older. Rare for guys to turn into playoff beasts at 28+.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I doubt he gets better line mates. Sure he might wind up with some good young drafted kids, but he isn't going to have a PK/Markov back there, or a Max/Radu on his wing. Heck he might not even get a consummate coaches pet prof like Pleks.

And I brought up playing in AZ because AG has not been good in the playoffs, and he won't get many more chances to improve until he is 28 or older. Rare for guys to turn into playoff beasts at 28+.

The Habs were only in the POs long enough in any given season for a genuine superstar like Subban to make his mark. There were other notables, like Price and Eller, but hardly anything exceptional.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The Habs were only in the POs long enough in any given season for a genuine superstar like Subban to make his mark. There were other notables, like Price and Eller, but hardly anything exceptional.

Still 4 goals in 28 games, 13 points. Until proven other wise AG doesn't bring it in the playoffs. Which was my original point, he won't have a chance to prove it for at least another 2 years with the way ARZ is going.

Him and Max putting up doughnuts against NYR sealed their fates for me.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
  • Also thought he didn't win nearly enough 1 on 1 battles for a guy with good size, frame and ability. He caused way too many turnovers at both bluelines.
Domi is much more combative in that sense.

But I also think Galchenyuk might have a lot of success playing with Keller, he's the exact kind of player he needs to play with...a puck wizard if you will.

Because while Galchenyuk has impressive hand skills, I thought the less time he had on the puck, the more effective he was. As soon as he got the puck with time and space, he would glide, try to do a million head/shoulder fakes and too often lose the puck or fire it way over the net.

Exactly!!!......the less he has the puck, the more effective he is cause he doesn’t know what to do with it.....but I’ll give credit to him, he has a hell of a shot.....when he hits the net.

I see him as a 25-25 type player and Domi I project as an 18-35

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Really?

He's made SEVERAL important reads in his own zone to break up plays. If anything, i'm pleasantly surprised by how quickly he's adapted to playing in his own zone.

He's not Patrice Bergeron, but he's a clear improvement in both effort & tactically, at C, compared to Galchenyuk.

I'm not saying he's as bad as Galchenyuk, just that he's not great defensively.

I'm also interested to see how that Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen line progresses, since I'm not sure they're creating enough offense chances so far. Drouin needs to step up at ES.

Reactions: 417 and Peanut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->