Value of: Max Domi - Mega Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I imagine MB is going for a 1 for 1 Bergevin type trade, but with the amount of picks we have we should be aiming higher..

What about a Domi/Meier deal? Both had a bit of a down year after their previous big years.....similar age, just Domi needs the contract for it to make sense.

I think Meier has higher value, so picks to even out.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Good. Habs pass too. That would be like the Habs offering Lehkonen and Poehling for Deangelo.
If you think either of those players have the potential that Chytil does than awesome for you. Plus the Rangers have no cap space to give up cost controlled assets and a pick (I'm sure Montreal fans probably want #22 overall too lol) for a guy that is gonna ask for 6 million and was getting 4th line duty for your team. I would rather keep Strome and not give up young talented assets.
Pass.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I imagine MB is going for a 1 for 1 Bergevin type trade, but with the amount of picks we have we should be aiming higher..

What about a Domi/Meier deal? Both had a bit of a down year after their previous big years.....similar age, just Domi needs the contract for it to make sense.

For the umpteenth time. Not a chance

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you think either of those players have the potential that Chytil does than awesome for you. Plus the Rangers have no cap space to give up cost controlled assets and a pick (I'm sure Montreal fans probably want #22 overall too lol) for a guy that is gonna ask for 6 million and was getting 4th line duty for your team. I would rather keep Strome and not give up young talented assets.
Pass.

Lehkonen put up that kind of production at the same age. Chytil has to produce to have the value you think he has. Good young talent but he's not worth Domi. Not even close!

Rangers over rate their prospects and young players. Fans feel like they can say that about the Habs so here you go... a taste of your own medicine.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

I would think he does. what picks are you offering the Sharks?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Pass.

To be fair, Domi played 17min a game all season- he wasn't playing 4th line minutes until the playoffs....part of which may have been due to Kotkaniemi and Suzuki taking his spot when he was medically unable to go to training camp

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I don't think San Jose does that without a ridiculous add.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lehkonen put up that kind of production at the same age. Chytil has to produce to have the value you think he has. Good young talent but he's not worth Domi. Not even close!

Rangers over rate their prospects and young players. Fans feel like they can say that about the Habs so here you go... a taste of your own medicine.

It was a Montreal fan that proposed the trade. I was responding that there is no interest in trading cost controlled assets for a guy that was playing the 4th line for your team and is gonna ask for 6 plus million. Chytil is 20 years old. We have enough talent to surround him to allow him to get better. No interest in giving up on him. Very few Ranger fans want to trade Chytil yet almost every Montreal fan wants to trade Domi.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
To be fair, Domi played 17min a game all season- he wasn't playing 4th line minutes until the playoffs....part of which may have been due to Kotkaniemi and Suzuki taking his spot when he was medically unable to go to training camp
Fair enough. He was outplayed by suzuki and Kotkaniemi. Fact of the matter he is coming off a season where he finished on the 4th line and he wants big money. Rangers can just sign Strome for probably a million less if they need that 2c/3c.
Domi is a nice player but not for a team that needs to stay healthy cap wise like the Rangers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It was a Montreal fan that proposed the trade. I was responding that there is no interest in trading cost controlled assets for a guy that was playing the 4th line for your team and is gonna ask for 6 plus million. Chytil is 20 years old. We have enough talent to surround him to allow him to get better. No interest in giving up on him. Very few Rangers want to trade Chytil yet almost every Montreal fan wants to trade Domi.

Chytil is now 21. Good young talent but not as special as you think or some Habs fans. He could bust out into 50+ pts or he could stall in the 20-30 range like his 1st two seasons. Reality. Domi is worth more than Chytil+. Way more! He is a proven NHL top 6 talent heading into prime years. His age 23 season playing with 3rd line talent and 15% of that on the PP was no fluke. HF boards doing it's thing with devaluing. Same thing they did with Patch's trade value. Habs fans are use to it and even some of them fall into the trap by lowering his value due to the shit show of devaluing

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Chytil is now 21. Good young talent but not as special as you think or some Habs fans. He could bust out into 50+ pts or he could stall in the 20-30 range like his 1st two seasons. Reality. Domi is worth more than Chytil+. Way more!
I will keep Chytil, Gauthier and our pick over paying Domi 6 plus million. Not even a doubt in my mind!

Last edited:
Reactions: Merrrlin

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It was a Montreal fan that proposed the trade. I was responding that there is no interest in trading cost controlled assets for a guy that was playing the 4th line for your team and is gonna ask for 6 plus million. Chytil is 20 years old. We have enough talent to surround him to allow him to get better. No interest in giving up on him. Very few Rangers want to trade Chytil yet almost every Montreal fan wants to trade Domi.

It isn't so much that "almost every Montreal fan wants to trade Domi" so much as almost every Montreal fan hears reports that Domi might be available and recognizes that he represents a good trade chip to address a bigger need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I will keep Chytil, Gauthier and my pick over paying Domi 6 plus million. Not even a doubt in my mind!

Sure. Habs are happy to keep Domi and send him to arbitration if we don't get 60 pts and 25 goals of value for Domi in a trade.... Especially for his prime years of 25-30+ on his next contract.

Good luck with Chytil and Gauthier. Noting guaranteed and they could get better or stall like so many young players. Lias Andersson as one example.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It isn't so much that "almost every Montreal fan wants to trade Domi" so much as almost every Montreal fan hears reports that Domi might be available and recognizes that he represents a good trade chip to address a bigger need.
Also I am sure every GM in the league know the same thing. More than likely Domi is heading out of Montreal. He holds value but all I am saying is I am not trading 2 young talented cost controlled players and a pick for him when we don't have the cap space to sign more important and better players down the line than Domi

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sure. Habs are happy to keep Domi and send him to arbitration if we don't get 60 pts and 25 goals of value for Domi in a trade.... Especially for his prime years of 25-30+ on his next contract.

Good luck with Chytil and Gauthier. Noting guaranteed and they could get better or stall like so many young players
Yes very happy with some Chytil centering Lafreniere playing on the 3rd line and developing quite wonderfully :) and Gauthier adding size and speed to our fourth line. Very happy about that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fair enough. He was outplayed by suzuki and Kotkaniemi. Fact of the matter he is coming off a season where he finished on the 4th line and he wants big money. Rangers can just sign Strome for probably a million less if they need that 2c/3c.
Domi is a nice player but not for a team that needs to stay healthy cap wise like the Rangers.

I don't think you know Domi's actual context of how he was used this past season and the lack of top 6 talent he has played with in his entire NHL career so far. So If I was you, I would avoid trying to act like you know what Domi is worth on the trade market.

Domi put up 72 pts and 28 goals as a 23 year old. You want to know who he played with that year? Shaw and Drouin (50% of the season). His other wingers were Lehkonen and Byron types. And you wonder? He must have gotten a lot of PP points? Nope. Only 11 PP points and 15% is well below the 30% NHL average for top 6 talent. Fans saying this as a fluke are off the rails on this!

HF boards don't understand Domi's trade value. All other fans know (most of them) is the "popular bandwagon and heard of sheep devaluing narratives" . Don't fall into that trap. Julien jumped on Domi's back for not commiting to Defense and he did that with Seguin back when too. Domi deserves some blame yes but most don't understand his actual circumstance of his age 24 season and how Julien used him. He was bounced all over the place and still managed a pro rated season of 51 pts and 20 goals.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes very happy with some Chytil centering Lafreniere playing on the 3rd line and developing quite wonderfully :) and Gauthier adding size and speed to our fourth line. Very happy about that.

That's fine. I always can respect a reply like that where you prefer to keep the players you have. But if you act like Domi is not worth anything on the trade market in the process? That's not cool

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't think you know Domi's actual context of how he was used this past season and the lack of top 6 talent he has played with in his entire NHL career so far. So If I was you, I would avoid trying to act like you know what Domi is worth on the trade market.

Domi put up 72 pts and 28 goals as a 23 year old. You want to know who he played with that year? Shaw and Drouin (50% of the season). His other wingers were Lehkonen and Byron types. And you wonder? He must have gotten a lot of PP points? Nope. Only 11 PP points and 15% is well below the 30% NHL average for top 6 talent. Fans saying this as a fluke are off the rails on this!

HF boards don't understand Domi's trade value. All other fans know (most of them) is the "popular bandwagon and heard of sheep devaluing narratives" . Don't fall into that trap
Well you should sign him. He put up amazing numbers and should do it again right?! You guys have the cap space. Trade Danault instead. Or trade him to a team that has cap space not to a team that is pretty tight under the cap for good young cost controlled players.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That's fine. I always can respect a reply like that where you prefer to keep the players you have. But if you act like Domi is not worth anything on the trade market in the process? That's not cool
I just said in my previous post Domi has value. I like him. I just can't afford to give up cost controlled assets for him and wind up running into flat cap hell when we have more important players to sign down the road. Sure I would love to trade him for Strome straight up but you would laugh.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well you should sign him. He put up amazing numbers and should do it again right?! You guys have the cap space. Trade Danault instead. Or trade him to a team that has cap space not to a team that is pretty tight under the cap for good young cost controlled players.

We don't have an open top 3C spot and we have flaws on wing to address. But yeah, if we don't get fair value for Domi, we will send him to arbitration. He has 2 RFA years left. All Julien needs to do is put him in a stable spot like he had in his age 23 season with the Habs. Results will be better I am sure

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just said in my previous post Domi has value. I like him. I just can't afford to give up cost controlled assets for him and wind up running into flat cap hell when we have more important players to sign down the road. Sure I would love to trade him for Strome straight up but you would laugh.

I remember when Habs fans would not trade Poehling+ for ROR. Prospects and youth are important but most times, they don't turn into who we hope they will. Reality. Not saying you should trade your youth either. Just be careful with nailing them down as a roster spot where they keep growing up and up. Very few can take the leap to top 6 talent

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We don't have an open top 3C spot and we have flaws on wing to address. But yeah, if we don't get fair value for Domi, we will send him to arbitration. He has 2 RFA years left. All Julien needs to do is put him in a stable spot like he had in his age 23 season with the Habs. Results will be better I am sure
Did he play wing in the playoffs at all? Why not try him at wing?
Don't take this the wrong way but the fact Julien trusted 3 centers over domi including two young ones (suzuki is really really good i know and plays like he is 28) something to be worried about for the team that trades for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad