Player Discussion Max Domi - Maximus Dominatus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
To put Domi's performance to date in greater perspective:

Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-04-03_%C3%A0_11.55.13.png
That is awesome and sad at the same time...
all trades are calculated gambles. He won the trade. Quit with the "lateral moves" line. It was a big WIN and all credit goes to him.
Is MB still responsible for Galchenyuk under performing. in AZ?
I have no problem giving him some credit. But at the same time I think he got very lucky with how Domi has performed. I don't see him as a mad genius who went out and picked up a player he know was going to play this well. The circumstances were that he wanted to rid himself of a player (a player he himself held back) and looked for the best value he could get for him. Then he crossed his fingers and hoped for the best. Not the first time he's done it either. This time it paid off.

As for Galchenyuk... yes, we f***ed him up. I just hope we don't do it again with KK.
Mismanaging??

So Galchenyuk has the IQ to be a centreman now??

Why hasn’t he blossomed in Arizona then?

Why has Domi excelled at centre here while Galchenyuk never could??

Are you ready to give credit to management for showing Domi how to play Centre since he clearly couldn’t do jack AZ? I mean he did have B2B 9 goal seasons.....we must’ve done something right!!
Galchenyuk will never be the player he should've been. Therrien saw to that.

As for him in Arizona he hasn't played that badly actually. Started the season hurt and had a decent year afterward.
So Arizona came calling and they pounced on the first offer without any input from any type of pro scouts....they just took whatever.....:facepalm:
They took the best they could get for a player they wanted to be rid of. Not sure what's hard to understand here. Galchenyuk was gone no matter what so they shopped him around and Domi was the most equivalent value they could find. Two underperforming players traded for one another.

How is this in any way surprising? It's been MB's M.O. since he got here.
Yeah you have to give Bergevin full credit on this one. I can't stand him, but he obviously planned on Domi being better and he was right. Similarly to the Subban trade, he planned on Weber being better(especially given the age and contract difference) and that did not work out in my opinion.
I have no problem crediting him for getting Domi. But he also got incredibly lucky. It doesn't have to be a binary choice here... both things can happen.

As I said, I'm for more inclined to credit him for the Suzuki trade. Even if Suzuki doesn't work out at least I can see a vision there. That is a proactive trade vs the Galchenyuk one which is more reactive. And we don't do nearly enough of the former.

Reactions: Runner77 and Edgy

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
How does C stack up for us in three years?

Kotkaniemi
Domi
Danault
Poehling --- Don't know how I missed him.
Evans

With McShane, Olofsson, Hillis, Stapley, in the wings, and Suzuki able to play there if required. Feels good to have this depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
@Sterling Archer ...again, I dont know why it's so difficult to be objective here.
You want to give full marks to someone for drafting Gallagher so late? Or can you reasonably admit they got lucky on that?
Not sure why this is so difficult.

Bergevin found a good target. Kudos to them. That player is performing even better than they had imagined. Bergevin himself admitted they didnt trade Domi to be a center. He ended up becoming our top center, that's great man! Not sure why admitting luck factors into that is somehow taking away anything. They still targetting him, they still went forward with trade, and ya, they also got lucky. So?...what's the problem here?

Reactions: Runner77

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
@Sterling Archer ...again, I dont know why it's so difficult to be objective here.
You want to give full marks to someone for drafting Gallagher so late? Or can you reasonably admit they got lucky on that?
Not sure why this is so difficult.

Bergevin found a good target. Kudos to them. That player is performing even better than they had imagined. Bergevin himself admitted they didnt trade Domi to be a center. He ended up becoming our top center, that's great man! Not sure why admitting luck factors into that is somehow taking away anything. They still targetting him, they still went forward with trade, and ya, they also got lucky. So?...what's the problem here?

The center thing was a lie, they did a mistake with Drouin to call him the next Franchise Center and it put JD in a very tough spot, he had all the pressure in the world to play a position that he didnt the attributes to be successful at, thy didnt want to make the same mistake with Domi but it was clear as water that they intended to play him at C, he was there from day 1 to now.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The center thing was a lie, they did a mistake with Drouin to call him the next Franchise Center and it put JD in a very tough spot, he had all the pressure in the world to play a position that he didnt the attributes to be successful at, thy didnt want to make the same mistake with Domi but it was clear as water that they intended to play him at C, he was there from day 1 to now.
Well sure, but that's your own interpretation. I try not to put any spin. Bergevin said he wasnt traded to be a center. I can definitely understand your point of view, makes sense, but theres no way to know if they really believed that. All we have are his actual words.

Reactions: Runner77

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Well sure, but that's your own interpretation. I try not to put any spin. Bergevin said he wasnt traded to be a center. I can definitely understand your point of view, makes sense, but theres no way to know if they really believed that. All we have are his actual words.
Then Julien put him at center. If he could hold the fort as a 50 point center and be more responsible defensively than Drouin or Galche yuk it was a win. They knew they had centers in the system and slide Kotkaniemi into the lineup they just switch Domi to LW.

Where I think everyone including habs brass got surprised was when Domi stepped in to lead the team offensively. Plekanec was our last center to score 70 points, it has been a decade.

Looks like Domi will be a center for the remainder of his stay in Montreal. If circumstances push him to the wing it would be a good problem to have now

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Then Julien put him at center. If he could hold the fort as a 50 point center and be more responsible defensively than Drouin or Galche yuk it was a win. They knew they had centers in the system and slide Kotkaniemi into the lineup they just switch Domi to LW.

Where I think everyone including habs brass got surprised was when Domi stepped in to lead the team offensively. Plekanec was our last center to score 70 points, it has been a decade.

Looks like Domi will be a center for the remainder of his stay in Montreal. If circumstances push him to the wing it would be a good problem to have now
Yes he did, however something needs to be said about the overall increase of production league wide. Last I check a couple games back, Domi was barely cracking the 50 top scorers list. Back in 13-14, scoring 70pts meant a lot more. Not to say it isn't good, but perspective matters.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Well sure, but that's your own interpretation. I try not to put any spin. Bergevin said he wasnt traded to be a center. I can definitely understand your point of view, makes sense, but theres no way to know if they really believed that. All we have are his actual words

All we have his the actual move they made of putting Domi at C from day 1... MB’s words means nothing, he proved it many times!!

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Yes he did, however something needs to be said about the overall increase of production league wide. Last I check a couple games back, Domi was barely cracking the 50 top scorers list. Back in 13-14, scoring 70pts meant a lot more. Not to say it isn't good, but perspective matters.
Absolutely look how many 100 point guys the league has this year.

Seems like 80 is the new 70. But regardless Domi playing his first season in Montreal and at center to boot has done an admirable job. Plus I think at least it was my concern if not many others, I saw him as a playmaking LW more so than a 28 goal center! He never really scored goals until this year, that is in part due to smaller goalie gear no doubt, but he can pick a corner

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Absolutely look how many 100 point guys the league has this year.

Seems like 80 is the new 70. But regardless Domi playing his first season in Montreal and at center to boot has done an admirable job. Plus I think at least it was my concern if not many others, I saw him as a playmaking LW more so than a 28 goal center! He never really scored goals until this year, that is in part due to smaller goalie gear no doubt, but he can pick a corner
I completely agree. Nothing bad can be said of Domi's first year with the Habs. He gets am A+ in my book and I was 100% wrong about him. I think only 1~2 posters here argued Domi would surprise us and they thought he was special. Most had reservations. Hid handful of regulation goals, non empty netters, was a reasonable cause for concern after trading away one of the more productive guys of a team who couldn't score.
So tip of the hat to Domi, he was excellent.
But it's also very reasonable to mention the league as a whole increased production. That doesn't take anything away from his season imo. Pacioretty, one of the most productive wingers in the NHL over a recent 5 year stretch seemingly didn't take advantage of that. Neither did PK. Neither did Galch. Neither did a bunch of guys.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
That is awesome and sad at the same time...

I have no problem giving him some credit. But at the same time I think he got very lucky with how Domi has performed. I don't see him as a mad genius who went out and picked up a player he know was going to play this well. The circumstances were that he wanted to rid himself of a player (a player he himself held back) and looked for the best value he could get for him. Then he crossed his fingers and hoped for the best. Not the first time he's done it either. This time it paid off.

As for Galchenyuk... yes, we ****ed him up. I just hope we don't do it again with KK.

Galchenyuk will never be the player he should've been. Therrien saw to that.

As for him in Arizona he hasn't played that badly actually. Started the season hurt and had a decent year afterward.

They took the best they could get for a player they wanted to be rid of. Not sure what's hard to understand here. Galchenyuk was gone no matter what so they shopped him around and Domi was the most equivalent value they could find. Two underperforming players traded for one another.

How is this in any way surprising? It's been MB's M.O. since he got here.

I have no problem crediting him for getting Domi. But he also got incredibly lucky. It doesn't have to be a binary choice here... both things can happen.

As I said, I'm for more inclined to credit him for the Suzuki trade. Even if Suzuki doesn't work out at least I can see a vision there. That is a proactive trade vs the Galchenyuk one which is more reactive. And we don't do nearly enough of the former.
Galchenyuk was never the player fans hoped he would be. He's very limited by a low hockey I.Q. but of course instead of accepting that it's still on Therrien or I thought it was MB's fault?

The fact that you call MB "lucky" for getting Domi and just plain a bad GM for some of his other moves says a lot.

i'm glad you're "inclined" to credit him for the Suzuki trade. It's a start in your rehab. :)

Jul 6, 2016
Galchenyuk was never the player fans hoped he would be. He's very limited by a low hockey I.Q. but of course instead of accepting that it's still on Therrien or I thought it was MB's fault?

The fact that you call MB "lucky" for getting Domi and just plain a bad GM for some of his other moves says a lot.

i'm glad you're "inclined" to credit him for the Suzuki trade. It's a start in your rehab. :)

Right.

MB was "lucky" to get Domi....

Yzerman was "lucky" to get Sergachev and draft Point in a third round...

And I can go on and on with "lucky" GM"s who were able to get guys like Bergeron, Marchand or Giroux...

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Is it reasonable to believe Poehling can be a Toews type 200 foot center (not as elite but good).
I think he could be in the of mould of a Toews, O'Reilly, etc in terms of his style of play...2 way players that don't necessarily put up huge numbers, but are important pieces to the team

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Is it reasonable to believe Poehling can be a Toews type 200 foot center (not as elite but good).
No loll. Look at him more like a Philip Danault and your expextations will be allright. Sorry but toews is in another league

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Galchenyuk's usage was inexplicable. It's Therrien's fault. Hence it is MB's fault by extension. Worst move of MB's career was hiring that idiot.
Yes, it says that he's a bad GM and while he made a good trade here he certainly also got lucky. Three separate points and all are valid.
I think it's hilarious how you keep going after posters and steering away from actual debate.

I've never said that MB is incapable of good moves. And I largely defended him for his first few years here. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time. But facts are facts. He's been a brutal GM for us overall and should've been fired long ago.

This isn't because I have something personal against him. I say this because he's simply not a good GM.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah i agree. But poehling. Were the oldest player in the wjc. 8 goals in 36 games ina. Whole season, it’s not a futur toews.
It's a tourny of 18/19 year old, the fact he was oldest doesn't mean anything, they are all about the same age. For his D+2 season, he's closer to Toews than Danault. And to be clear I love Danault.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I agree Galchenyyk doesnt have the greatest IQ but it's not like creativity was encouraged here at any point. He spent 5 fomative years playing MT hockey.
Doesn't change everything, but certainly doesn't help.

(I'm exstatic about the trade but Im also a fan of Galchy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->