Player Discussion Max Domi - Lookin' Good Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
You're not wrong if you feel a #1C must have a strong 2-way game. Plenty of top scorers don't, however.

I'm not saying every #1C has to be a Bergeron or a Toews, nor am I expecting them to be. An offence-first #1C is fine with me. I'll take anything at this point, after being starved for all these years :help:

But those 30 goals Chucky got he would have gotten as a winger too. He didn't score 30 BECAUSE he was playing center. He just played in a state of grace for that period of time, and it hasn't happened since.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not saying every #1C has to be a Bergeron or a Toews, nor am I expecting them to be. An offence-first #1C is fine with me. I'll take anything at this point, after being starved for all these years :help:

But those 30 goals Chucky got he would have gotten as a winger too. He didn't score 30 BECAUSE he was playing center. He just played in a state of grace for that period of time, and it hasn't happened since.

I wonder why it hasn't happened since? Could it be because he was not playing with Gallagher, Patch, and Radulov anymore? Who has he played with since?

I still have hopes for Galchenyuk but Domi is clearly the more complete player and younger/RFA controlled too! Very good trade for the Habs. We got younger, a cheaper option, and a guy that we can lock up long term as a RFA still when his current contract ends. Bergevin did well here with our former 3rd OA pick from 2012 who never developed like we expected

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

If you look back at his production at center vs at wing, it was something like 30% higher at center.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Once Julien came on board, Chucky wasn't given the linemates or opportunities he previously had, regardless of the position he was playing. A 4th line deployment is the worst scenario for a player like that.

It speaks to an overly rigorous and inflexible mindset that is seldom going to produce optimum results IMO.

It's bad enough for GM to whistle away the core. It's even worse to actively diminish individual performances with prehistoric thinking from the bench.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
His last 15ish games in Arizona were also at a PPG pace.

He seems to have a deceptive release, that allows him to score in transition. He could very well have had hand issues before, because its hard to believe that he can only score 9 Goals based on the arsenal we've seen.
19 in his last 20 actually.

And he did actually have wrist/hand problems, he missed a few games because of it last year.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
I wonder why it hasn't happened since? Could it be because he was not playing with Gallagher, Patch, and Radulov anymore? Who has he played with since?

I still have hopes for Galchenyuk but Domi is clearly the more complete player and younger/RFA controlled too! Very good trade for the Habs. We got younger, a cheaper option, and a guy that we can lock up long term as a RFA still when his current contract ends. Bergevin did well here with our former 3rd OA pick from 2012 who never developed like we expected

Obviously who you play with impacts your efficiency and therefore your production. How players clicks, who has which role on the line, who does this, who does that, who goes in first, who trails, who puts the pressure on... You can see it right now when you look at Domi (because this thread is about him after all :D) and Drouin playing together. One will go high or low depending where the other one is headed. If Drouin controls on the board, Domi is heading to the net. If Domi goes in the corner, Drouin stays high. They don't seem to be reacting to what the other player is doing; they're in sync with the other's actions.

Sometimes it just naturally clicks. Drouin couldn't get things to work with Pacioretty last season, but Galchenyuk did - and got 21 goals from the association. I'm keeping the 9 PP goals he got separate from his total, as they should be, since they make the '30 goals at C' more impressive than it actually is (ven though 30 goals is a solid milestone). Speaking of clicking: remember the EGG line? Chucky was doing fine there - with Eller at C.

If you look back at his production at center vs at wing, it was something like 30% higher at center.

I pointed out the EGG line because it shows that Galchenyuk could produce whenever he's put in good conditions, whether it's at C or wing. Funny how Domi is producing as a C, how Chucky was producing as a C, like it's a pattern. the 30% higher stat, whether it's accurate or not, doesn't tell the whole story, though. Neither are the players the two were/are matched with. You cannot deny how involved/intense/hungry Domi is right now. No matter how I try to remember Galchenyuk's stay with the Habs, it's never the goals or great plays that I'm reminded of, it's his lack of involvement/nonchalance/scrappy playing that sitck to mind. Watching Habs games from the nosebleeds at the Bell Centre (yes, the old eye test) gives you a much better picture of how good of a job a player is at the C position. You could regularly see Galchenyuk caught flat-footed, being out of position, making the wrong play, etc. I just don't think he 'gets' playing at C. He doesn't have the tools to be successful at C, at least not as a #1 C.

Doesn't mean he can't produce if put in the position, though. With the right players. Under the right conditions. In the right mindset.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Once Julien came on board, Chucky wasn't given the linemates or opportunities he previously had, regardless of the position he was playing. A 4th line deployment is the worst scenario for a player like that.

It speaks to an overly rigorous and inflexible mindset that is seldom going to produce optimum results IMO.

It's bad enough for GM to whistle away the core. It's even worse to actively diminish individual performances with prehistoric thinking from the bench.

Poor asset management IS an issue for this team. Or so I've read :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poor asset management IS an issue for this team. Or so I've read :laugh:

It's more like Asset Evaluation and who they like more vs the other. They certainly gravitate to the "defensive aware" and hard working type over the struggling but skilled type. To be honest, I was surprised they put DLR on waivers.

However, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes or watching every practice where the coaches try different things. Some moves are questionable but they seemed to be right on Beaulieu, Ghetto, Galchenyuk. We will find out about DLR and Scherbak.

We can act like we know more than MT or CJ but if we did, we would not be on HF boards and we would be in the NHL coaching.

Reactions: Bloumeister

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
It's more like Asset Evaluation and who they like more vs the other. They certainly gravitate to the "defensive aware" and hard working type over the struggling but skilled type. To be honest, I was surprised they put DLR on waivers.

However, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes or watching every practice where the coaches try different things. Some moves are questionable but they seemed to be right on Beaulieu, Ghetto, Galchenyuk. We will find out about DLR and Scherbak.

We can act like we know more than MT or CJ but if we did, we would not be on HF boards and we would be in the NHL coaching.

Who says I'm not? :snide:

You're right about DLR. I was surprised too. He seemed to fit well the with the protoplayer type mgmt likes. Again, as your said, who knows what goes on behind the scenes?

My guess:

Monkeyball.

Bergevin's version of moneyball is putting all waivable players' names in a bingo cage, and he gets his pet monkey to pull out a winner :dunce:

(I'd usually 'shoop this, but I'm way too lazy today :wally:)

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The guy was born to play in a market like Montreal. What an awesome player to have. Living in Toronto I can tell you every leafs fan, even the smuggest of them, are super freaking jealous that he’s a hab and not a leaf.

I'm sure the Leaf's fans woul:wave::wave::wave:d trade two Nylander's for one Max Domi, oh well you snooze you lose LOL!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:Habs have definitely added Attitude this season, Winning attitudes can never be underestimated, Habs Stanley Cup teams oozed winning attitude.:devdance::devdance::devdance:Centermen in abundance for the first time since the 70's, quality centermen with winning attitudes. Competition gor jobs matters too, Suzuki, Kotkaneimi, Poehling, Evans alongside Domi and Danault is great for the Habs future IMHO!!!...:clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I actually think Domi and Nylander are pretty comparable, in terms of skill and production. Nylander may have a bit more polish skill-wise, and Domi has a bit more edge. This is all hypothetical, but let's say he finishes this year at around 70 points and next year as well. What does his next contract look like?

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016

Agreed GJ. I was so happy when MT was finally canned and I thought given his older but cup pedigree in CJ that maybe things would get better. Others had warned about his old ways of loving certain vets in Bean Town but I think I was just so happy MT was gone that I didn't care/ had optimism in a new team, new players, etc.

Then Chuckie was on the 4th line in the playoffs with Ott and my optimism vanished.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I actually think Domi and Nylander are pretty comparable, in terms of skill and production. Nylander may have a bit more polish skill-wise, and Domi has a bit more edge. This is all hypothetical, but let's say he finishes this year at around 70 points and next year as well. What does his next contract look like?

I'd guess around $7-7.5M. Larkin got $6.1M for 5 years and had 63 points last year, Domi would be eating up more UFA years and the cap will likely be a few mill higher by that point.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
But didn't Rick Dudley leave for Carolina?

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

:biglaugh:

That's mean, even by my standards. Dudley's not a monkey. More like a raccoon. Or what used to be a raccoon, at least.

CcK-GETWIAEhw2-.jpg

#RoadkillToupeeRick

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kind of missed the last few games. how's he looked?
He's cooled off quite a bit. He's still added some points to his totals but I'd say he's cooling off. His game isn't as good, some games he's pretty invisible. He had a crazy 11 game stretch where he put up 15pts. He's followed that up by scoring 7 in next 11, 4 of which being versus Ottawa.

As I said in PGT, tonight was maybe the most disappointing showing of Domi (along with Weber-Gallagher-Shaw) this season. Not because he did very little in terms of producing scoring chances, but I expect a Domi to be lit up, at home, versus a nemesis, when we are so close in the standings.
That was a big let down for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->