Player Discussion Max Domi - Lookin' Good Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
When the Flames traded Brett Hull, the GM said all he can do is score. If all Galchenyuk can do is what you say and he becomes available again at the right price, I'll take him in a heart beat:

Even his scoring touch seems to have disappeared. Last year he didn't even break 20 and this year he has 3 goals. 30 G scorer, maybe more like lucky to be a 20G scorer.

And I think its a double indictment if you look at the increase in scoring this year. AG should be feasting and on pace for one of his best years. I think one of the reasons Domi/Drouin are producing so much is the overall increase in goals this year. So AG should not be on the decline.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You're not wrong if you feel a #1C must have a strong 2-way game. Plenty of top scorers don't, however.

The kid had one good season (which was actually spread out over two seasons). Shea Weber has 3 goals and 5 points in 6 games, lets call him the next Orr and give him the Richard trophy.

AG has been living off those 10 games as a C, his half season where he got 30 G and 25 games where Radu made him look like a million bucks.

Let him become a 20G scorer again before we call him a top scorer. 3 goals so far this year. He is on pace for less than 12 Goals this year, coming off a 19 goals season last year.

TBH I thought he would be doing a lot better in ARZ. I didn't expect him to be a super duper star but I expected better than .5 PPG and 12 goal pace.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even his scoring touch seems to have disappeared. Last year he didn't even break 20 and this year he has 3 goals. 30 G scorer, maybe more like lucky to be a 20G scorer.

And I think its a double indictment if you look at the increase in scoring this year. AG should be feasting and on pace for one of his best years. I think one of the reasons Domi/Drouin are producing so much is the overall increase in goals this year. So AG should not be on the decline.

Why did Domi have 5 non-empty net goals last year in Arizona? Was it because his offensive abilities disappeared. I can only hope GMs across the leagu think that, except for Bergevin, and Galchenyuk is back on the market.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Firstly - I think it's quite the stretch to compare Brett Hull's goal scoring ability with Alex Galchenyuk's.

Secondly - notice in my post, I wasn't saying that being a stationary goal scorer is necessarily a bad thing (though I guess it's implied), because anytime you can score goals, no matter how they're scored, it's a good thing.

I think Galchenyuk on the right team, surrounded by the right kind of players, has the kind of shot to score 30 goals...I just think a lot of his contributions are going to come from the work that others do for him. That's fine, there are a lot of players like this, successful players, in the NHL who play this way.

But he doesn't shoot enough to be a consistent goal scorer, even this year, in 21 games he's got 40 shots on goal. It's just not enough.

Even the videos you posted - they just reinforce what I said IMO.

An analogy doesn't mean imcoparing hull and Galchenyuks ability. People on these boards so often dont differentiate between an analogy and a direct comparison...
Yes the videos were to reinforce the value of what, as you said, he brings...
We agree that with the right situation, for me an example is playing rw on a line with Drouin and Domi, hes a 30 goal scorer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The kid had one good season (which was actually spread out over two seasons). Shea Weber has 3 goals and 5 points in 6 games, lets call him the next Orr and give him the Richard trophy.

AG has been living off those 10 games as a C, his half season where he got 30 G and 25 games where Radu made him look like a million bucks.

Let him become a 20G scorer again before we call him a top scorer. 3 goals so far this year. He is on pace for less than 12 Goals this year, coming off a 19 goals season last year.

TBH I thought he would be doing a lot better in ARZ. I didn't expect him to be a super duper star but I expected better than .5 PPG and 12 goal pace.

Fyi, he scored his 30 goals before we acquired Radulov ;)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
An analogy doesn't mean imcoparing hull and Galchenyuks ability. People on these boards so often dont differentiate between an analogy and a direct comparison...
I understand the difference between an analogy & a comparison - but the way you framed it, made it seem more like a comparison, otherwise i'm not quite sure what the point was.

Yes the videos were to reinforce the value of what, as you said, he brings...
We agree that with the right situation, for me an example is playing rw on a line with Drouin and Domi, hes a 30 goal scorer
Is he though?

Look at what Shaw brings to that line and how he does alot of things to make it successful...

Whether that's forechecking, being first on the puck, screening goalies, etc.

These are details that Galchenyuk simply doesn't do. He's purely a finisher ( not suggesting doesn't have value).

But in order for him to finish, someone's got to get him the puck.

Would Drouin be as effective being the "Shaw" type of player on that line? I don't think so.

I think, like it's often the case with Galchenyuk, we imagine he's something and we convince ourselves that in the ideal situation, he'd score X amount of goals and he'd be this and he'd be that.

Maybe it's time to just accept that he is what he is (which isn't awful btw).

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Why did Domi have 5 non-empty net goals last year in Arizona? Was it because his offensive abilities disappeared. I can only hope GMs across the leagu think that, except for Bergevin, and Galchenyuk is back on the market.
I heard Domi had a busted hand last year and it kept him from shooting properly. Being on the coyotes really doesn't help either though lol.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
At the time of the transaction they both had the same PPG. I viewed the trade as a swap of a goal scoring LW with a playmaking LW. On one hand I liked how Domi is a little younger and appeared to have better intangibles, on the other I did not like how the Habs were losing a bit of size up front.

Domi's shooting is much better than anticipated. His goal scoring may not be sustainable but he at least showed he can beat goalies clean with his shot, which in turn opens up his excellent passing game.

He's lacked discipline at times but I don't mind it that much when it's done to keep your opponents in check. I appreciate hockey players who refuse to back down and get pushed around.

Domi's transition to center is still a work in progress but he's done a great job there. While I don't think he'll ever be a great two-way player, his skating and smarts allow him to at least be competent without the puck. Galchenyuk, with his bad skating and limited IQ, will always be a poor choice for a top center role. How Arizona even entertained that thought shows they may have some pro scouting issues of their own.

Bergevin has deserved criticism the past few years but full marks to him and his staff on this trade.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I understand the difference between an analogy & a comparison - but the way you framed it, made it seem more like a comparison, otherwise i'm not quite sure what the point was.

Is he though?

Look at what Shaw brings to that line and how he does alot of things to make it successful...

Whether that's forechecking, being first on the puck, screening goalies, etc.

These are details that Galchenyuk simply doesn't do. He's purely a finisher ( not suggesting doesn't have value).

But in order for him to finish, someone's got to get him the puck.

Would Drouin be as effective being the "Shaw" type of player on that line? I don't think so.

I think, like it's often the case with Galchenyuk, we imagine he's something and we convince ourselves that in the ideal situation, he'd score X amount of goals and he'd be this and he'd be that.

Maybe it's time to just accept that he is what he is (which isn't awful btw).

The analogy was when someone assessing a player that excels in one dimension and saying the player isn't of value because that's the only thing they can do...

Sure it's possible a Drouin-Domi-Galchneyuk line isn't as successful as a Drouin-Domi-Shaw line. But Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher and Byron-Galchneyuk-Radulov were very successful. So it is about finding the right situation...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The analogy was when someone assessing a player that excels in one dimension and saying the player isn't of value because that's the only thing they can do...
But Brett Hull did excel in goal scoring..

Galchenyuk had one very good goal scoring season, propped up by an unsustainable shooting %, but has otherwise been a good goal scorer.

Furthermore, I explicitly stated, several times, that I wasn't holding that (the fact he's uni-dimensional) against Galchenyuk. If you're going to be one-dimensional, being able to score goals is the one dimension you want to have.

Sure it's possible a Drouin-Domi-Galchneyuk line isn't as successful as a Drouin-Domi-Shaw line. But Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher and Byron-Galchneyuk-Radulov were very successful. So it is about finding the right situation...
That's correct - not sure I agree that Drouin-Domi-Galchenyuk has the required elements that would make it a successful line.

But we'll never know, so your guess is as good as mine

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Fyi, he scored his 30 goals before we acquired Radulov ;)

Yes 30G on a season where there was nothing to play for and the team was tanking.

Then he had something like 25 point in 27 games and was injured. Since then he has been declining to the point where he is on pace for 12 goals this year. Thats a huge drop from 30 to 12.

He basically got hot from December 16 to December 17 (when he was injured) and hasn't progressed since then.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes 30G on a season where there was nothing to play for and the team was tanking.

Then he had something like 25 point in 27 games and was injured. Since then he has been declining to the point where he is on pace for 12 goals this year. Thats a huge drop from 30 to 12.

He basically got hot from December 16 to December 17 (when he was injured) and hasn't progressed since then.

Glad you could correct your statement that he only produced with Radulov...

As for whether he's declining or not, I won't go through that debate again. We'll see in 5 to 10 years what kind of career he ends up having...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Glad you could correct your statement that he only produced with Radulov...

As for whether he's declining or not, I won't go through that debate again. We'll see in 5 to 10 years what kind of career he ends up having...

It wasn't a correction I think you just read it wrong. It was mean to be read 30 G season followed by 25 points in 27 games being carried by Radu. They were meant to be two seperate time frames.

Yes we will see in a few years where AG ends up. But I don't feel like playing in ARZ is going to help him. That org is a real gong show and also he probably doesn't see playoffs as long as he is there. And his playoff record is bad too, 4 goals in 28 games.

By the time he gets out of ARZ he will be close to 27, i don't see how much more he will grow. He will be like Tatars age and I don't expect Tatar to become a 40 goal scorer all of a sudden. Going to ARZ was probably worse thing for him. I mean Domi was a 9 goal scorer there and look at him here. ARZ is not going to make AG better IMO.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
this was a f***ing steal. he's a killer, a 1st line C right now who plays with an edge. he's exactly what habs needed. exactly. could you imagine how much dubas and shanahan are kicking themselves? they could've had this kid this summer on the leafs

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
this was a ****ing steal. he's a killer, a 1st line C right now who plays with an edge. he's exactly what habs needed. exactly. could you imagine how much dubas and shanahan are kicking themselves? they could've had this kid this summer on the leafs
For who?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It wasn't a correction I think you just read it wrong. It was mean to be read 30 G season followed by 25 points in 27 games being carried by Radu. They were meant to be two seperate time frames.

Yes we will see in a few years where AG ends up. But I don't feel like playing in ARZ is going to help him. That org is a real gong show and also he probably doesn't see playoffs as long as he is there. And his playoff record is bad too, 4 goals in 28 games.

By the time he gets out of ARZ he will be close to 27, i don't see how much more he will grow. He will be like Tatars age and I don't expect Tatar to become a 40 goal scorer all of a sudden. Going to ARZ was probably worse thing for him. I mean Domi was a 9 goal scorer there and look at him here. ARZ is not going to make AG better IMO.

Hopefully his value is as low as Domi's was after last year and Bergevin picks him back up. At least Bergevin likes a good bargain! But to your point I think ARZ will give him at least this year plus next year.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
this was a ****ing steal. he's a killer, a 1st line C right now who plays with an edge. he's exactly what habs needed. exactly. could you imagine how much dubas and shanahan are kicking themselves? they could've had this kid this summer on the leafs
I was ecstatic when the trade was made. I always liked Domi but I don't think he's a #1. He'll be a great #2. I wish you guys would stop imagining him as a #1. When he doesn't live up to those expectations you'll start to sour on him. He's a #2.

On a side note I saw a video of young Bill Burr in 1999 the resemblance with Domi is uncanny or maybe it's just me.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I heard Domi had a busted hand last year and it kept him from shooting properly. Being on the coyotes really doesn't help either though lol.

His last 15ish games in Arizona were also at a PPG pace.

He seems to have a deceptive release, that allows him to score in transition. He could very well have had hand issues before, because its hard to believe that he can only score 9 Goals based on the arsenal we've seen.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal

The best line would be Drouin-Domi-Radulov. Imagine that.

Reactions: Chr1s97 and 26Mats

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
It's not like Galchenyuk didn't look like a #1C when he was healthy and had the opportunities and linemates.

There wasn't nearly enough of that to be certain, one way or the other, however. At least Domi is looking lights out so far. I hope this continues going forward.
Actually, there was plenty of evidence to evaluate Galchenyuk as a hockey player. And many posters here knew exactly who he was. And that was basically the same soft, unidimensional, low IQ scorer at 23 as he was when he entered the league at 19. I'd add "a floater" to this description , but he was actually playing with fire when he was younger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->