Player Discussion Max Domi - Lookin' Good Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Actually, when have I admitted Galchenyuk now sucks that he is not a Habs? All I have said lately is Domi is a much better hockey player and I underestimated his shot. I always acknowledged that Galchenyuk development is on him. I like the skill and his potential before and and I still do today. I just think maturity has been an issue. I have also been frustrated with the Habs by not trying him at center for a full 82 game season. Yes, development is on him but the Habs were also not willing to let him learn on the job. Why? Cause our culture in Montreal is defense first (right or wrong).

I'm not willing to say anything for sure at this stage. It's like just past the quarter mark of the season and Galchenyuk is playing with not that much skill in the Desert. Talk to me when there is a larger sample size and the Coyotes have a better team. Things can change in 1 or 2 years from now.

My only issue with the Domi/Galchenyuk trade was I thought Galchenyuk had better goal scoring power. That was the focus of my opinions and I was not the only one. Now that Domi has squashed this concern, I'm on board with this trade but it don't mean I think Galchenyuk sucks.

We've been making excuses for Galchennyuk for a very long time. I really want him to do well (no reason not to) but it's time for him to either decide if he's going to be a player or not. It's almost obvious at this point he's not the one leading the charge on any line he's on.

Reactions: 417 and Habs Icing

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We've been making excuses for Galchennyuk for a very long time. I really want him to do well (no reason not to) but it's time for him to either decide if he's going to be a player or not. It's almost obvious at this point he's not the one leading the charge on any line he's on.

He doesn't need to be the one leading the charge. Let him score his 30 being the finisher on a good line and on the right half wall on the pp, wall while earning a salary of 6 million a year out of an 83 million dollar cap.

If he flounders in Phoenix playing with mediocre players I'd love to re-acquire him at a bargain bin cost.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He doesn't need to be the one leading the charge. Let him score his 30 being the finisher on a good line and on the right half wall on the pp, wall while earning a salary of 6 million a year out of an 83 million dollar cap.

If he flounders in Phoenix playing with mediocre players I'd love to re-acquire him at a bargain bin cost.

He scored 30 one year. I don't even know if he will ever score 30 again. He's also playing with Clayton Keller so... we can either constantly denigrate the talent around him or look at him as the issue.

Reactions: 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He scored 30 one year. I don't even know if he will ever score 30 again. He's also playing with Clayton Keller so... we can either constantly denigrate the talent around him or look at him as the issue.

Who's his center?

I see Galchneyuk at minimum as a Tatar level player. Their playing styles are very different. But at minimum he's still a top 6 winger that will produce, espcecially on the power play.

And one more question for you: how many points do you see Galchneyuk putting up if he was the right winger on the Drouin-Domi-Galchenyuk line and playing first pp unit in his office on the right half wall?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Who's his center?

I see Galchneyuk at minimum as a Tatar level player. Their playing styles are very different. But at minimum he's still a top 6 winger that will produce, espcecially on the power play.

I thought Galchenyuk was supposed to be a center, and a no. 1 at that.

I definitely agree he's a top 6 player though.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Lol yup. There was 2-3 posters on here that thought that was a good return.

I’ll admit I was higher on Galchenyuk than I should have been, and I even initially panned the Domi trade... but Jankowski was and is terrible, he wouldn’t even be our third line center.

Domi has been fantastic and has become my favourite player on the team, hopefully he can keep it up!

Jankowski is playing 3rd/4th line in Calgary. Solid player, who currently shows little offensive upside.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I thought Galchenyuk was supposed to be a center, and a no. 1 at that.

I definitely agree he's a top 6 player though.

It's not like Galchenyuk didn't look like a #1C when he was healthy and had the opportunities and linemates.

There wasn't nearly enough of that to be certain, one way or the other, however. At least Domi is looking lights out so far. I hope this continues going forward.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Same could have been said about Drouin last year with no talent to play with. I get it, Galchenyuk has been a frustrating player. But I still have hopes for him yet and it goes beyond this season. Will he ever reach his potential? Hard to say and it don't look like he will. However, like I said with Drouin, it just comes down to who he is playing with. Were not talking about a franchise talent here. They need help.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Same could have been said about Drouin last year with no talent to play with. I get it, Galchenyuk has been a frustrating player. But I still have hopes for him yet and it goes beyond this season. Will he ever reach his potential? Hard to say and it don't look like he will. However, like I said with Drouin, it just comes down to who he is playing with. Were not talking about a franchise talent here. They need help.
Wish more people would understand that.
(no sarcasm)

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wish more people would understand that.
(no sarcasm)

It's easy to jump on a young struggling player. Bruins did it to Seguin. Oilers did it to Hall. Not saying Galchenyuk will be as good as them but the skill is there. He just simply is a young struggling talent that sometimes shows flashes of his potential and then disappears for a few games.

However, I like this trade today. Domi can shoot the puck. It was my only concern about him when the trade went down. Domi is the more complete player

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Coyotes fans are already realizing what it took me years to figure out...

Galchenyuk is essentially a stationary, one-timer shooter. That's what he is, because he doesn't move his feet enough to be a contributor in other areas of the ice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gotta admit, Bergevin actually pulled off a good trade here. Credit needs to be given where deserved.

Bergevin and his management team watched video on Domi. :sarcasm:

What's very interesting is Bergevin has trended very well since Dudley left. I just wonder who is the strong voice in the room when they have management meetings now vs when Dudley was there? Bergevin himself is on record as saying he trust his overall management team and factors in what they say.

Reactions: Agalloch

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Who's his center?

And one more question for you: how many points do you see Galchneyuk putting up if he was the right winger on the Drouin-Domi-Galchenyuk line and playing first pp unit in his office on the right half wall?

Team Line Combinations

Looks like Schmaltz.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Coyotes fans are already realizing what it took me years to figure out...

Galchenyuk is essentially a stationary, one-timer shooter. That's what he is, because he doesn't move his feet enough to be a contributor in other areas of the ice.

When the Flames traded Brett Hull, the GM said all he can do is score. If all Galchenyuk can do is what you say and he becomes available again at the right price, I'll take him in a heart beat:

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Bergevin and his management team watched video on Domi. :sarcasm:

What's very interesting is Bergevin has trended very well since Dudley left. I just wonder who is the strong voice in the room when they have management meetings now vs when Dudley was there? Bergevin himself is on record as saying he trust his overall management team and factors in what they say.

I thought the samed thing about Dudley.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

It's easy to jump on a young struggling player. Bruins did it to Seguin. Oilers did it to Hall. Not saying Galchenyuk will be as good as them but the skill is there. He just simply is a young struggling talent that sometimes shows flashes of his potential and then disappears for a few games.

However, I like this trade today. Domi can shoot the puck. It was my only concern about him when the trade went down. Domi is the more complete player

I agree we're not talking about a franchise talent, but I don't even know if he will be a top line player. He'll certainly look like one for stretches and then boom, he stops moving his feet while his hands move, or he forgets how to play d, or he forgets whether to pass or shoot, or this, or that. It's been very frustrating watching him, and it looks like it's been the same in Arizona, having watched five or so of his games.

So here's the thing: I don't think saying the "skill is there" with Galchenyuk really means anything anymore. He just doesn't have the ability to bring the facets of his game together consistently.

There's always something up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree we're not talking about a franchise talent, but I don't even know if he will be a top line player. He'll certainly look like one for stretches and then boom, he stops moving his feet while his hands move, or he forgets how to play d, or he forgets whether to pass or shoot, or this, or that. It's been very frustrating watching him, and it looks like it's been the same in Arizona, having watched five or so of his games.

So here's the thing: I don't think saying the "skill is there" with Galchenyuk really means anything anymore. He just doesn't have the ability to bring the facets of his game together consistently.

I think if he played for a team with better center depth, he does much better. He's not the type to generate offense on his own.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When the Flames traded Brett Hull, the GM said all he can do is score. If all Galchenyuk can do is what you say and he becomes available again at the right price, I'll take him in a heart beat:

I wonder why Galchenyuk scored so many goals in this stretch. Why didn't he ever do that when HE WAS ON THE THIRD LINE ?

Rofl.

Reactions: 26Mats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Firstly - I think it's quite the stretch to compare Brett Hull's goal scoring ability with Alex Galchenyuk's.

Secondly - notice in my post, I wasn't saying that being a stationary goal scorer is necessarily a bad thing (though I guess it's implied), because anytime you can score goals, no matter how they're scored, it's a good thing.

I think Galchenyuk on the right team, surrounded by the right kind of players, has the kind of shot to score 30 goals...I just think a lot of his contributions are going to come from the work that others do for him. That's fine, there are a lot of players like this, successful players, in the NHL who play this way.

But he doesn't shoot enough to be a consistent goal scorer, even this year, in 21 games he's got 40 shots on goal. It's just not enough.

Even the videos you posted - they just reinforce what I said IMO.

Reactions: jaffy27

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Literally the same - hasn't changed or improved on that whatsoever.

S
o here's the thing: I don't think saying the "skill is there" with Galchenyuk really means anything anymore. He just doesn't have the ability to bring the facets of his game together consistently.

Agreed

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
It's not like Galchenyuk didn't look like a #1C when he was healthy and had the opportunities and linemates.

There wasn't nearly enough of that to be certain, one way or the other, however. At least Domi is looking lights out so far. I hope this continues going forward.

He was producing as a Top 6 forward, that I’ll admit... but he didn’t look like a #1 C. On sheer production alone, Desharnais too was a #1 C when paired with Pacioretty and Cole, then :badidea:

Neither looked anything like a bonafide top line center.

(come at me, bro :D)

Last edited:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He was producing as a Top 6 forward, that I’ll admit... but he didn’t look like a #1 C. On sheer production alone, Desharnais too was a #1 C when paired with Pacioretty and Cole, then :bad0idea:

Neither looked anything like a bonafide top line center.

(come at me, bro :D)

You're not wrong if you feel a #1C must have a strong 2-way game. Plenty of top scorers don't, however.

Reactions: Bloumeister
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->