Player Discussion Max Domi - Lookin' Good Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He can't score they said, he doesn't have a shot they said... :biglaugh:

Go Max Go!

I certainly was worried about his shot power and goal scoring ability. Boy has he every proven the doubters wrong. Him and Drouin are exciting to watch. It's nice to see both of them feeding off of each other and having a good year so far.

My biggest concern with the Domi/Galchenyuk swap was goal scoring ability. Domi has addressed this and more.

The Galchenyuk and Patch returns has certainly turns things around for us. Bergevin did very well here.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Domi has great skills, and also plays big, he's scared of nobody, actually, I heard he's a pretty heavy puncher, he can hurt you in a fight.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Happy to see Domi continue exactly where he left off from the final quarter of last season where he was at 0.8 PPG from February on and above a PPG in the final 10 games. Galchenyuk is a good player who is finding other ways to contribute not on the scoresheet and should eventually be able find his scoring touch on a line with Keller and Schmaltz. But Chayka gave up early on Domi and so far he's definitely on the losing side of this trade.

Reactions: cphabs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Fan reaction aside, the Domi/Drouin contract difference speaks volumes to how poor MB is at talent evaluation & asset decision-making.

Guy is making it up as he goes, occasionally it works out, more often it doesn't.
Most thought it was a mistake to give Drouin an extension pretty much right off the bat - so perhaps MB took a more prudent approach with a recently acquired asset this time.

I think criticism with Bergevin is fair and most often justified but this seems a bit overboard.

He made a trade that for now, looks like a stroke of brilliance (even if he never intended for Domi to play center) or perhaps the better description would be a trade that looks quite serendipitous.

I don't think he could have ever imagined it working out the way it has so far and I think that's reflected in the conservative contract offer they signed him too.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I certainly was worried about his shot power and goal scoring ability. Boy has he every proven the doubters wrong. Him and Drouin are exciting to watch. It's nice to see both of them feeding off of each other and having a good year so far.

My biggest concern with the Domi/Galchenyuk swap was goal scoring ability. Domi has addressed this and more.

The Galchenyuk and Patch returns has certainly turns things around for us. Bergevin did very well here.
Domi may not match the velocity Galchenyuk can generate on his one timer...

But he's a better shooter technically in every other facet

Shot preparation, accuracy, placement, etc.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Fan reaction aside, the Domi/Drouin contract difference speaks volumes to how poor MB is at talent evaluation & asset decision-making.

Guy is making it up as he goes, occasionally it works out, more often it doesn't.

One player just had a 0,73 ppg season and was on the rise, the other just had a 0.55 ppg season and was not showing signs of improvement. Players get paid based on results mostly, so the contracts made sense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Domi may not match the velocity Galchenyuk can generate on his one timer...

But he's a better shooter technically in every other facet

Shot preparation, accuracy, placement, etc.

I always like Domi's skating and vision. I just didn't know his shot cause I guess we haven't seen it too much in the two seasons prior. 18 goals in 141 games over the last two seasons before he became a Habs. He did score 18 in his rookie season however. Regardless, his goal production prior to the Habs was prorated to about 13 goals over a 82 game season. This was my concern but it's no longer the case based on his play so far with the Habs.

I like what I see and he fits with Drouin. Shaw is a temp piece on that line IMO. I'd like to see Gallagher there at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I always like Domi's skating and vision. I just didn't know his shot cause I guess we haven't seen it too much in the two seasons prior. 18 goals in 141 games over the last two seasons before he became a Habs. He did score 18 in his rookie season however. Regardless, his goal production prior to the Habs was prorated to about 13 goals over a 82 game season. This was my concern but it's no longer the case based on his play so far with the Habs.
On several of his goals this year - you see him make a slight adjustment to change the angle right before shooting.

That's not something you saw out of Galchenyuk.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On several of his goals this year - you see him make a slight adjustment to change the angle right before shooting.

That's not something you saw out of Galchenyuk.

Very true. He is one clever little tough dude. Galchenyuk is not committed enough to get better and I question his hockey intelligence. Very same problem Beaulieu had and maybe Scherbak as well.

All Domi needed was to play on a better team in a hockey market.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I can't speak on that - i'm not aware of a lack of professionalism (assuming you might be referring to off-ice stuff) I just think there's way too much focus on the goaltender and it's always been this way.

That being said, he needs to be better than he's been over the timeframe you mentioned.

Oddly enough, it seems he's found his groove since Weber came back, perhaps it's coincidental though.

The lack of professionalism is when things seem to get to him. When he doesn't to be giving all he's got. It was like that on a lot of nights in the last 15 months.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Very true. He is one clever little tough dude. Galchenyuk is not committed enough to get better and I question his hockey intelligence. Very same problem Beaulieu had and maybe Scherbak as well.

Hopefully we can learn to identify more of these gems. One of the reasons I wanted Eric Staal so badly after our ECS was I was convinced he was stagnating in Carolina.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The lack of professionalism is when things seem to get to him. When he doesn't to be giving all he's got. It was like that on a lot of nights in the last 15 months.

How much of this has to do with the Habs D and their shutdown ability in that span? When the Habs have a decent D, Price is able to do his job. When the Habs have bottom pairing guys playing in the top 4D, Price gets exposed.

I don't blame Price for loosing some of his patience but he has never blamed the team. He's not stupid and he knows how much of a lost Markov was.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
How much of this has to do with the Habs D and their shutdown ability in that span? When the Habs have a decent D, Price is able to do his job. When the Habs have bottom pairing guys playing in the top 4D, Price gets exposed.

I don't blame Price for loosing some of his patience but he has never blamed the team. He's not stupid and he knows how much of a lost Markov was.

I don't blame him for that. I blame him for not keeping his cool and giving a bad example last year.

He's supposed to be the king of cool and calm. Poster boy of a boyscout and leader. The poise of leadership.

He wasn't that last year. I can accept worst stats. But seeing him with flailing arms on some nights... eeesh

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Domi had the privilege of growing up around some of the best players in the world and learning from them. Sundin is like an uncle to him and I can't think of a better guy to teach you the game of hockey and all its intricacies than Mats. Domi's hockey IQ is through the roof.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Leafs fans hate that we have Domi now. I love it
Haha yeah whenever I talk hockey here in leafs country and Domi gets brought up you can just see the envy in their eyes. Hopefully Domi has another game like he did last night next time vs the leafs.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Haha yeah whenever I talk hockey here in leafs country and Domi gets brought up you can just see the envy in their eyes. Hopefully Domi has another game like he did last night next time vs the leafs.
What do those goofs have to be envious about? They have Marner ( a player similar to Domi), Matthews, Tavares and Nylander.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Most thought it was a mistake to give Drouin an extension pretty much right off the bat - so perhaps MB took a more prudent approach with a recently acquired asset this time.

I think criticism with Bergevin is fair and most often justified but this seems a bit overboard.

He made a trade that for now, looks like a stroke of brilliance (even if he never intended for Domi to play center) or perhaps the better description would be a trade that looks quite serendipitous.

I don't think he could have ever imagined it working out the way it has so far and I think that's reflected in the conservative contract offer they signed him too.

Dont break your head

Right now its "why hasn't he given domi 5x5 ?! What a mistake "

But it could have easily been " that was too risky a contract for domi even if it worked out"

There is no way out with that pessimistic bunch ;)

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Habs could not sign him as he was already signed.

Starting july first 2019 he can sign a contract extention that would start july first 2020.

You can blame the team when they do mistake but here no mistake was done

Canadiens sign Max Domi to 2-year, $6.3M deal

June 16, 2018, 11:04 AM

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Canadiens sign Max Domi to 2-year, $6.3M deal

June 16, 2018, 11:04 AM

Mistake ?

At the time, I dont think Domi would accept 5 x 3.15 millions.

Sign him to 5 x 5.5...similar to Drouin ? That would be a mistake. I dont think anyone expected Domi to be a 60+ pts center player...let alone a ppg. We all knew he had the potential...but he wasnt there yet...espacially has a center.

2 years show me contract, was easily the best option for the player and the team.

If he keep that pace the next 18 month...we will gladly pay him !

Reactions: Cobra Commander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad