Player Discussion Max Domi - Lookin' Good Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Nothing says epic trade more than when the trade is universally panned and you end up proven right.

"Universally" might be a bit strong. People on this thread love to jump in bandwagons and when they hate someone (Bergevin), they just can't see clearly. I was among those who liked this trade from day 1. I predicted Domi would soon become a fan favorite and I'm happy it's happening now.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
He's the real deal. What a ****ing masterful trade by bergevin to get him .On top of getting drouin and Weber. Drafting Juulsen and Mete (in the 4th) .turning a 7 million dollar max Pacioretty in to Tatar Suzuki and a 2nd. Getting Jeff Petry for a 2nd, picking up Byron on waivers .Having the guts to draft kotkaniemi and then add ylonen and Brook to that...poehling he's a made a few boo boos but how could anyone hate having this guy as our GM

On top of getting drouin and Weber
and for so cheap too!
Drafting Juulsen and Mete (in the 4th)
excellent d-men, never seen d-men as good as them. Who needs Chabot when you have Juulsen
Having the guts to draft kotkaniemi
only the bravest GMs crash their team into a ditch and then have the guts to draft a top5 prospect at 3rd overall
and then add ylonen and Brook to that...poehling
living legends in the NHL they are
he's a made a few boo boos but how could anyone hate having this guy as our GM
totally agreed, how could anyone expect or want more than one worthwhile playoff run in six years?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
and for so cheap too!
excellent d-men, never seen d-men as good as them. Who needs Chabot when you have Juulsen
only the bravest GMs crash their team into a ditch and then have the guts to draft a top5 prospect at 3rd overall
living legends in the NHL they are
totally agreed, how could anyone expect or want more than one worthwhile playoff run in six years?
Wake up man. It's not like most teams after us in 2015 and 2017 drafts found good players too! Oh wait...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's the real deal. What a ****ing masterful trade by bergevin to get him .On top of getting drouin and Weber. Drafting Juulsen and Mete (in the 4th) .turning a 7 million dollar max Pacioretty in to Tatar Suzuki and a 2nd. Getting Jeff Petry for a 2nd, picking up Byron on waivers .Having the guts to draft kotkaniemi and then add ylonen and Brook to that...poehling he's a made a few boo boos but how could anyone hate having this guy as our GM
Habs will very possibly miss the POs for a 3rd time in 4 years, but ya, I just can't quite understand why people aren't satisfied with the management group leading the team to these results...
Tough one to figure out..

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Domi has 3 more goals than Chucky has pts and has triple the amount of pts.
This trade is looking crazy one sided.
The worst part for arizona is there is a good chance Galchenyuk decide to test the market, which means they will need to trade him within 1 year.

Reactions: DangerDave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Well if you look past this season, it's quite easy to see why he's disliked. That being said, he's trending up very quickly with his recent set of moves. Both his big trades have been home runs and the coach change seems like an excellent move too. Hopefully he builds on this.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The worst part for arizona is there is a good chance Galchenyuk decide to test the market, which means they will need to trade him within 1 year.

I find it perplexing that Domi works so well with Drouin but could not find chemistry with Keller. Some players really do thrive under pressure and in the spotlight. Makes sense considering his father was constantly in the spotlight.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

Galchenyuk has also been moved to the wing in Arizona. Guess Therrien, Julien and Bergevin weren't crazy.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I’ve been a fan of this kid for a long time. I am so happy he is thriving under the pressure in Montreal. I hope he stays a life long hab

Ahh, you have hit on something important my friend.

Montreal is not a destination team. Not even among home grown players such as Briere ( when he was good ) and Vinnie ( when he was good, fading , over the hill, just never ). Apparently they did not flash back to wearing Habs pjs etc. This is reality.

Another reality is just like in some beer commercial, "Those who like it, like it a lot ". There are players who find themselves here and actually love the place. Unfortunately as recent history has taught us, we often spurn that love. NEED. TO. STOP. THAT.

So yeah, Tie Domi grew up a Habs fan, kid starring in Montreal. He has another year left on contract. We should both know his real worth after next season. Sign him up to a long term deal be it 6 or 8 years so we have him until 31 or 32 or so. Then just hang onto him.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
"Universally" might be a bit strong. People on this thread love to jump in bandwagons and when they hate someone (Bergevin), they just can't see clearly. I was among those who liked this trade from day 1. I predicted Domi would soon become a fan favorite and I'm happy it's happening now.
I also liked the trade as I never was a Galchenyuk believer, but still it like 98% against it including many talking heads and non habs fans.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Can't really fault us tbh. The guy did have 5 goals on a goalie last year. I will however admit that Galchenyuk really isn't that good of a player as I thought. We did ruin him though, and nobody will convince me otherwise. Great move by Bergevin.

Regarding Galchenyuk. He plays like a 2nd line winger but somehow people felt if you gave him a harder role he'd be a 1st line center.

We may not have treated his center development right but he's still a 2nd liner and nothing more. That part was not ruined and came as expected.

The potential was 1st line but look at all his abilities. Average skating, below average defensive game, slightly above average goal scoring, above average playmaking but all in all nothing elite, nothing game breaking.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Galchenyuk has also been moved to the wing in Arizona. Guess Therrien, Julien and Bergevin weren't crazy.

I always thought ie: getting better at faceoffs was something you could work on on your own. There are no grounds for the "bad development" argument in some specific metrics. He hasn't been obsessed at getting better, without calling him lazy.

As for domi... What a game yesterday. High octane player... I liked that he defended shaw. When your best players behave like that the message gets through. Him and drouin are still building their chemistry... We havent seen their best yet.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Imagine Chucky signs here in two years as a UFA

:sarcasm:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

the only mistake Habs made was not givin Domi a 5 year deal like Drouin

Reactions: Simarino

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007

Im not sure that could be considered a mistake at the moment he signed here. As happy as I was with the trade, giving him 5x5 would have made this board explode.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Domi trade was seen as a mistake by 95% of Habs fans/media...

I'm sure signing him to a 5yr deal right off the bat, a bit like what they did with Drouin, is something that would have went over well (like it did with Drouin).

Or not...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Domi has been producing at roughly the same rate as his last 15 games or so in Phoenix. Perhaps he continues that pace had he remained in Phoenix. Hard to say.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
How much of that is a reflection of the level of defending he's had in front of him for EXACTLY the past year?

I'd be curious to know the quality scoring chances against he's had to face in that time.

Let's not kid ourselves, although I agree with you he needs to be much better if not consistent, he's been playing in front of a defense that only an AHL team would be proud of.

I know people argue that with his salary he's paid to cover up those mistakes...but I don't agree.

His salary is for what he's done for this organization for years, he earned that deal and cashed out at the right time and that's just something the GM is going to have to work around, he made his own job more difficult by deciding to pay a goalie 10.5M per year.

But his salary doesn't = miracle maker for me, it never has.

To me, his salary means consumate professionalism. He hasn't offered that over the entirety of the last 14 months.

Now, personal issues, I can understand. Go get yourself fixed and come back. But at some point he needs to start delivering before his value becomes nearly extinct.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
To me, his salary means consumate professionalism. He hasn't offered that over the entirety of the last 14 months.

Now, personal issues, I can understand. Go get yourself fixed and come back. But at some point he needs to start delivering before his value becomes nearly extinct.
I can't speak on that - i'm not aware of a lack of professionalism (assuming you might be referring to off-ice stuff) I just think there's way too much focus on the goaltender and it's always been this way.

That being said, he needs to be better than he's been over the timeframe you mentioned.

Oddly enough, it seems he's found his groove since Weber came back, perhaps it's coincidental though.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The Domi trade was seen as a mistake by 95% of Habs fans/media...

I'm sure signing him to a 5yr deal right off the bat, a bit like what they did with Drouin, is something that would have went over well (like it did with Drouin).

Or not...

Fan reaction aside, the Domi/Drouin contract difference speaks volumes to how poor MB is at talent evaluation & asset decision-making.

Guy is making it up as he goes, occasionally it works out, more often it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad