Value of: Max Domi in a hockey trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's fair, and I get your concerns, but I just think if the Habs can move Domi for a skilled winger they should do it.

No doubt but to get the type of winger that provides the asset mix the Habs are lacking, they may have to add to Domi is all I'm suggesting. I don't think Domi alone would do it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The guy is probably enjoying his time with his family and some down time not thinking about hockey.

You honestly think that there’s no other way to work this out and keep him on the team without being promised the 1C job? Like I said earlier there a bunch of factors involved in a situation like this, and us as fans aren’t privy to them.

Also let’s not forget Domi and Pohling’s response after not being used the way they wanted in the playoffs, does that mean there’s no other way but to trade them too? How dare they be frustrated and upset? Emotions get the best of people sometimes, just in this case it’s in the public eye. Is it a good message to send, absolutely not, but should a GM react just as emotionally and be forced into making a poor business decision? I hope not, but it does happen sometimes.

It doesn't matter what Danault is doing right now but if he's doing that, good for him.

I honestly think that he should have approached the GM privately, via his agent, about this rather than make a statement that leaves no room for compromise.

Of course, you can always appeal to the higher authority of "us fans aren't privy" to a lot of stuff that management types and player agents discuss behind the scenes. However, if this were the be-all and end-all of every public statement and ultimatum issued by a player, there would be no need for fan forums. We'd just all wait around and see and not say anything cause everything we might say now could be so wrong cause we don't have access to private conversations by insiders. Just think about how absurd that sounds.

Domi and Poehling did not issue any ultimatums or make any statements about asking to be traded. They are completely irrelevant to the discussion. Unless you want to argue that something may have happened for them behind closed doors.

Finally, your point about emotions has no bearing here. If it did, Danault would have issued a public statement to retract. He didn't notwithstanding having had a lot of time to do so. What he says stands and we do know that several clubs have inquired about him already.

I hope Danault enjoys his downtime and his family.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You dont pay your 4thc 6M... and Danault wants an offensive role as a #2, if he's not getting it he will ask for a trade

Danault will be a 2C on the Habs. Nothing has changed. Kotkaniemi hasn't unseated Danault. Julien / Bergevin just gave the kids (Suzuki/KK) primo icetime in the playins for their development and confidence. When the season re-starts, Danault will be between Gally and Tatar.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Danault will be a 2C on the Habs. Nothing has changed. Kotkaniemi hasn't unseated Danault. Julien / Bergevin just gave the kids (Suzuki/KK) primo icetime in the playins for their development and confidence. When the season re-starts, Danault will be between Gally and Tatar.

That remains to be seen.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
It doesn't matter what Danault is doing right now but if he's doing that, good for him.

I honestly think that he should have approached the GM privately, via his agent, about this rather than make a statement that leaves no room for compromise.

Of course, you can always appeal to the higher authority of "us fans aren't privy" to a lot of stuff that management types and player agents discuss behind the scenes. However, if this were the be-all and end-all of every public statement and ultimatum issued by a player, there would be no need for fan forums. We'd just all wait around and see and not say anything cause everything we might say now could be so wrong cause we don't have access to private conversations by insiders. Just think about how absurd that sounds.

Domi and Poehling did not issue any ultimatums or make any statements about asking to be traded. They are completely irrelevant to the discussion. Unless you want to argue that something may have happened for them behind closed doors.

Finally, your point about emotions has no bearing here. If it did, Danault would have issued a public statement to retract. He didn't notwithstanding having had a lot of time to do so. What he says stands and we do know that several clubs have inquired about him already.

I hope Danault enjoys his downtime and his family.
You’re so right, emotions don’t belong in sports and we should build hockey playing robots instead. I mean most interviews aren’t far off anyways.

You have clearly decided that everything he said was 100% thought out and calculated and there is no possibility of him,
A- regretting what he said
B- changing his mind
C- not knowing what the future plans of the organization
D- talking this out with Berg
E- any other possibility of things that could have happened.

I’m just so surprised he hasn’t been traded already...

You also seem to have forgotten that Capt. Kirk was the head coach at the time, so it wasn’t even his regular coach making the decisions he’s upset about.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You’re so right, emotions don’t belong in sports and we should build hockey playing robots instead. I mean most interviews aren’t far off anyways.

Said no one ever. You're creating your own dialogue. Show me where I said that "emotions don't belong in sports."

You have clearly decided that everything he said was 100% thought out and calculated and there is no possibility of him,
A- regretting what he said
B- changing his mind
C- not knowing what the future plans of the organization
D- talking this out with Berg
E- any other possibility of things that could have happened.

Again, I've not decided, nor have I made up anything. I'm only dealing with what has been made available , coming out of the player's mouth. All you're doing is raising a bunch of contingencies that are not known to have happened and that may or may not happen. I can easily make a similar list. However, those aren't facts. Of course, some things can change, but right now, there is no indication that there is a change to what Danault has stated. If you have a link to show otherwise other than a fertile imagination, please post.

Also, when such statements have been made in the past, whether it's in the heat of the moment, an emotional outburst or whether the statements were ill-advised for whatever reason, we have seen athletes come forward shortly thereafter and retract. This has not happened and a considerable time has elapsed since the statements were made. Teams have made inquiries further to Danault's statements. Those are the facts.

I’m just so surprised he hasn’t been traded already...

Not up to me to judge what entertains or surprises you but there is really no need for snarky exaggerations. Try someone else, if that's what you'd like to pursue.

You also seem to have forgotten that Capt. Kirk was the head coach at the time, so it wasn’t even his regular coach making the decisions he’s upset about.

I haven't forgotten anything. Muller having coached Danault as a third liner is the first fact that you've posted about so far. It's like pulling teeth. Yeah, and it's also a fact that Muller was in constant contact with Julien about lineup moves even if the final decision was reportedly Muller's. I didn't hear any caveat from Danault about his ultimatum being limited to those games that Muller coached -- Danault's statement was at large and without reservations, he wants a more offensive role, wants to play with the team's most offensive players and not as a third line center otherwise that will play in his decision to extend with the Habs.

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
Montreal Domi + 16OA
Nashville Turris +Tolvanen + 11OA

Ok ok so if Domi is landing you a top 6 forward straight up, what else could his value get you? He could get you prospects, picks, or the ability to move up in the draft. Montreal has cap space, so they can use that as a weapon. This would get you a potential top 6 prospect that could help your top 6 be set up for a long time with Caufield. Turris defintely could use a change of scenery, and Montreal could use that ability to eat his contract, as well as Domi > Tolvanen (now) to move close to the top 10.

(I'm just trying to go out side the box here).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Montreal Domi + 16OA

Ok ok so if Domi is landing you a top 6 forward straight up, what else could his value get you? He could get you prospects, picks, or the ability to move up in the draft. Montreal has cap space, so they can use that as a weapon. This would get you a potential top 6 prospect that could help your top 6 be set up for a long time with Caufield. Turris defintely could use a change of scenery, and Montreal could use that ability to eat his contract, as well as Domi > Tolvanen (now) to move close to the top 10.

Jesus no. I would rather give you Domi for free than do that awful trade. Turris is a non starter.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Montreal Domi + 16OA

That's disgusting for the Habs lol.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Said no one ever. You're creating your own dialogue. Show me where I said that "emotions don't belong in sports."

Again, I've not decided, nor have I made up anything. I'm only dealing with what has been made available , coming out of the player's mouth. All you're doing is raising a bunch of contingencies that are not known to have happened and that may or may not happen. I can easily make a similar list. However, those aren't facts. Of course, some things can change, but right now, there is no indication that there is a change to what Danault has stated. If you have a link to show otherwise other than a fertile imagination, please post.

Also, when such statements have been made in the past, whether it's in the heat of the moment, an emotional outburst or whether the statements were ill-advised for whatever reason, we have seen athletes come forward shortly thereafter and retract. This has not happened and a considerable time has elapsed since the statements were made. Teams have made inquiries further to Danault's statements. Those are the facts.

Not up to me to judge what entertains or surprises you but there is really no need for snarky exaggerations. Try someone else, if that's what you'd like to pursue.

I haven't forgotten anything. Muller having coached Danault as a third liner is the first fact that you've posted about so far. It's like pulling teeth. Yeah, and it's also a fact that Muller was in constant contact with Julien about lineup moves even if the final decision was reportedly Muller's. I didn't hear any caveat from Danault about his ultimatum being limited to those games that Muller coached -- Danault's statement was at large and without reservations, he wants a more offensive role, wants to play with the team's most offensive players and not as a third line center otherwise that will play in his decision to extend with the Habs.
Honestly, after going back and forth with you on this, I'm still not even sure if you understand what I am trying to say? Maybe I haven't made it clear enough, or maybe it doesn't really matter what I say because you've made up your mind?

You seem so set on proving yourself right with your "facts" that it feels like you are missing the point of the debate. You are clearly not interested in what I'm saying, so I'm gonna leave it here.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Montreal Domi + 16OA

dumping Turris will cost you that 11th alone. Domi+16th for Tolvanen? no thanks

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Honestly, after going back and forth with you on this, I'm still not even sure if you understand what I am trying to say? Maybe I haven't made it clear enough, or maybe it doesn't really matter what I say because you've made up your mind?

You seem so set on proving yourself right with your "facts" that it feels like you are missing the point of the debate. You are clearly not interested in what I'm saying, so I'm gonna leave it here.

I'm sorry but all I'm getting from you are contingencies and not dealing with the facts. You've even imputed words to me that I never wrote. The point of the exchange was to deal in facts -- we just don't have anything else before us at this time.

I'm the one who's walking away from this, it's going nowhere. Thanks anyhow.

Last edited:

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
dumping Turris will cost you that 11th alone. Domi+16th for Tolvanen? no thanks
Ok fair enough. However, I think Domi in all honesty is one of the hardest players to value. Some say he's a top 6 center, (so does he). Some say he's a 3rd line player on a contender. I probably overvalued Tolvanen and undervalued the low value of Turris. However, I don't think Domi get's you Dumba, Brodin, Laine, or Ehlers without some significant adds. I don't know if they get Buchnevich, I don't know if it gets you anything of note from Buffalo (though Skinner could be interesting). I was simply trying to think outside the box.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Ok fair enough. However, I think Domi in all honesty is one of the hardest players to value. Some say he's a top 6 center, (so does he). Some say he's a 3rd line player on a contender. I probably overvalued Tolvanen and undervalued the low value of Turris. However, I don't think Domi get's you Dumba, Brodin, Laine, or Ehlers without some significant adds. I don't know if they get Buchnevich, I don't know if it gets you anything of note from Buffalo (though Skinner could be interesting). I was simply trying to think outside the box.
Really Buchnevich? I know people think Domi is worth a bag of pucks but really? You also bring up Skinner the guy with one of the worst contract in the league? seriously......

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005

@$9M? ha

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I guess you know very little about Domi and his value.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Where does it say he wants to stay a Hab? Domi hasn't said a word since the playoffs ended.

Darren Ferris ,
"He met with Marc Bergevin, he didn’t really want to say too much about the meeting, but the one thing he was willing to say was that Max Domi has not asked for a trade from the Montreal Canadiens,"

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Craig Rivest speculates Buffalo will be interested.

Wonder what it would take to trade him in division? Domi +? for #8 O OA? Or something around Jokiharju?

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
What about Fowler as a target for Montreal? I know he's injured a lot, but they do need a lefty who can move the puck. A deal around Fowler and Domi could make sense, though Fowler is a bit older. What would Montreal have to add if anything to get Fowler and Silfverberg with a base of Domi?

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Out of curiosity, habs fans, do you think the targets in a Domi trade would be different if the habs hadn't participated in the playoffs? I see these proposals for Brodin/Dumba/Fowler and i honestly wonder if that's the best route. Personally i'd much rather obtain futures, especially a quality winger prospect like Poulin/Kravstov/Vesalainen or a RD like Lundkvist/Jokiharju.

Why the rush to trade for a player who has already hit his prime, when habs are 2-3 years away from being realistic contenders?

Also, upgrading LD on short term doesn't seem like a priority when the right side is elite, Chiarot is playing great, Kulak is solid and Romanov will certainly play next season.

I would vastly prefer obtaining assets that will contribute to the only core that might win a cup, which is still under 22 and developping.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Out of curiosity, habs fans, do you think the targets in a Domi trade would be different if the habs hadn't participated in the playoffs? I see these proposals for Brodin/Dumba/Fowler and i honestly wonder if that's the best route. Personally i'd much rather obtain futures, especially a quality winger prospect like Poulin/Kravstov/Vesalainen or a RD like Lundkvist/Jokiharju.

Why the rush to trade for a player who has already hit his prime, when habs are 2-3 years away from being realistic contenders?

Also, upgrading LD on short term doesn't seem like a priority when the right side is elite, Chiarot is playing great, Kulak is solid and Romanov will certainly play next season.

I would vastly prefer obtaining assets that will contribute to the only core that might win a cup, which is still under 22 and developping.

we have plenty of prospects/picks as is. there's a 50 contract limit to boot

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
we have plenty of prospects/picks as is. there's a 50 contract limit to boot

We have a lot of prospects but none in that rare stratosphere. Quantity is not quality. However, that's a separate debate, that type of prospect won't be had with a Domi trade.

That said, I believe the path lies in packaging Domi in my view so the return is a quality asset.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
We have a lot of prospects but none in that rare stratosphere. Quantity is not quality. However, that's a separate debate, that type of prospect won't be had with a Domi trade.

That said, I believe the path lies in packaging Domi in my view so the return is a quality asset.

um, Caufield and Romanov?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
um, Caufield and Romanov?

Um, Caufield and Romanov are not at the high end of elite level prospects. Not in the same stratosphere as players like Svechnikov and Dahlin were when they were drafted, by way of example. They're not generational-types. Caufield is undersized. Romanov is not an offensive defenceman and is below 6' or thereabouts.

If you want a shot a players like Svechnikov and Dahlin, you're much more likely to land them if you're picking early.

Anyway, not the issue here. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02 and Gravity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->