Player Discussion Max Comtois

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I'm not that high on Ritchie in his current state. I just don't see enough effort and he takes way too many dumb penalties.

I wish someone would sit him down and ingrain into him a Tomas Holmstrom approach and just park in front of the net and not be rooted out. He is strong enough and he has the hands, he just needs the mindset.

John

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I'm not that high on Ritchie in his current state. I just don't see enough effort and he takes way too many dumb penalties.

I wish someone would sit him down and ingrain into him a Tomas Holmstrom approach and just park in front of the net and not be rooted out. He is strong enough and he has the hands, he just needs the mindset.

John

I'm mostly excited to see him as the offseason rumours seem to be he's really worked on his fitness and getting a bit faster. If ritchie is even half a step faster it could do wonders for his game.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Comtois has gotten a bit lucky in his goals. Obviously he has shown skating and shot skills that he has, I would also mention IQ as he has been able to put himself into spots to be successful. my point is he will have to get better to maintain his 82 goal pace :sarcasm:

I am left with the feeling that he can be much better. He still looks to have room to improve his skating which is already good. Obviously strenght as well albeit it is not his weak aspect too. A lot to be excited for, I hope he will keep on working on those things, he can be special

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Comtois has gotten a bit lucky in his goals. Obviously he has shown skating and shot skills that he has, I would also mention IQ as he has been able to put himself into spots to be successful. my point is he will have to get better to maintain his 82 goal pace :sarcasm:

I am left with the feeling that he can be much better. He still looks to have room to improve his skating which is already good. Obviously strenght as well albeit it is not his weak aspect too. A lot to be excited for, I hope he will keep on working on those things, he can be special
I agree with the general sentiment, but I can't figure out which part of his goals you think was lucky.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I agree with the general sentiment, but I can't figure out which part of his goals you think was lucky.

I think what Kalv actually means is opportunistic. He's making the most of his opportunities but he's not generating a lot of chances. Though he's one of a few that is actually generating anything, the whole team is a dearth of offensive opportunities.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I liked the play on the 2 on 1 where he showed some savvy in delaying to back off the D, toe dragged towards the middle and released a dangerous shot that nearly beat Raanta high short side. That's some goal scoring instinct.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think what Kalv actually means is opportunistic. He's making the most of his opportunities but he's not generating a lot of chances. Though he's one of a few that is actually generating anything, the whole team is a dearth of offensive opportunities.
Yeah you explained better what I tried to imply. Most of the time the goalies would have saved his goals but obviously like in any team sport you have to use the other teams mistakes. Obviously Comtois has a lot of potential and skill but I`m not sure I want him to play full season with Ducks - at leas`t I`m still not sure yet.

But good point about our whole team :laugh:

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
How bout dat pass to Silfverberg?

The fall made it look more dramatic but that was a great pass nonetheless

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Chances of Comtois going back to the Q are getting slimmer by the game IMO, granted it's only a matter of time until he goes through a rough patch it looks to me he'd be far better suited to continue playing and learning in the NHL and working his way through that future slump opposed to going down and dominating the Q again.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I`m very divided about what would be best. We have to let him play those 4 more games and see. I guess I can live with both - him going to Q and him staying. There are benefits in boths scenarios but I guess I`m leaning more to him staying up.

I want him to work on some of his physical traits more. As strong as he is already, he could use a bit more strenght and even though he skates well, he could use some more quickness and speed. I doubt he can develop those things much in the NHL during the season. If he stays up, let`s hope he puts a lot of work in the offseason. In a few years he can be a great winger if he keeps on working.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
If silf really is injured for the next bit it'll be interesting to see how that line looks without silf.

So far based on the STL game that line looks rough without silf

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
I want him to work on some of his physical traits more. As strong as he is already, he could use a bit more strenght and even though he skates well, he could use some more quickness and speed. I doubt he can develop those things much in the NHL during the season.

I'm more in doubt he can develop those in QMJHL.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm more in doubt he can develop those in QMJHL.
Yeah, same. To me, he would be spinning his wheels going back there. I wouldn't break up the Comtois-Henrique-Silf line until they go multiple games without being effective

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yeah, same. To me, he would be spinning his wheels going back there. I wouldn't break up the Comtois-Henrique-Silf line until they go multiple games without being effective
It's just putting him in a holding pattern. The only reason to send him back at this point is if they're that desperate to see his contract slide. It's not like players stop developing if they're in the NHL. It'd be one thing if he was playing six minutes a night on a fourth line, but that's not the case. The development path for every player is unique. There isn't some one-size fits all template.

Reactions: AngelDuck and Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad