Maurice "Rocket" Richard: Born 100 Years Ago, August 4, 1921.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In the regular season, Richard did not peak as high as some other greats (despite being an easy Hart winner in 1947), but his longevity as an elite player was excellent:
  • 14 straight years as a postseason All-Star. From 44-45 to 56-57, only Gordie Howe ever finished ahead of Richard in AS voting.
  • 8 Times First Team All Star Right Wing
  • 6 Times Second Team All Star Right Wing (1 in his 2nd season, 5 to Gordie Howe)

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
What do you base that on?

Babe Ruth was earning more money than the president in the 1920s.

Louis/Schmeling fight in 1938 may have been the biggest event of the century.

Richard himself was the spark for the Montreal riots of 1955.
Come on! Most people didn't even have a TV in 1930. I am aware there were radio broadcasts as well but do you honestly think Louis/Schmeling was bigger than the Rumble in the Jungle? I mean are you denying that professional sport mostly grew post WW2? It all makes sense. People had more disposable income, more children started playing sports, every household had at least one TV.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Come on! Most people didn't even have a TV in 1930. I am aware there were radio broadcasts as well but do you honestly think Louis/Schmeling was bigger than the Rumble in the Jungle? I mean are you denying that professional sport mostly grew post WW2? It all makes sense. People had more disposable income, more children started playing sports, every household had at least one TV.

No one had a TV in 1930!

In 1950 9% of American homes had a TV.

Louis/Schmeling was infinitely bigger than Ali/Foreman!

Reactions: jigglysquishy

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think the weak era argument is valid pre 1910 as hockey was largely still an amateur affair. Though any all time list has to include every era.

By the late 1920s the WCHL folded and you had one major pro league left in the world. Guys in the NHL had been playing hockey full time their whole lives and were making a living from it.

By Rocket's time, you had major pro hockey for over 30 years.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Prewar working class Canadians effectively had one option to escape poverty - professional hockey. (For Americans, it was professional baseball). Other sports didn't pay. Upward mobility into the "professional class" was difficult. It's why men like Newsy Lalonde and Lionel Conacher, who may have preferred other sports, ended up focusing primarily on hockey.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Prewar working class Canadians effectively had one option to escape poverty - professional hockey. (For Americans, it was professional baseball). Other sports didn't pay. Upward mobility into the "professional class" was difficult. It's why men like Newsy Lalonde and Lionel Conacher, who may have preferred other sports, ended up focusing primarily on hockey.

There were tons of young boxers back then also, looking for a good payday.

They were almost exclusively poor kids from working class immigrant families. My father was one of them.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
No one had a TV in 1930!

In 1950 9% of American homes had a TV.

Louis/Schmeling was infinitely bigger than Ali/Foreman!
Infinitely? I read 70 million people listened to Louis/Schmeling on the radio. 1 billion watched Ali/Foreman.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There were tons of young boxers back then also, looking for a good payday.

They were almost exclusively poor kids from working class immigrant families. My father was one of them.

Good point.

Still, the # of professional sports was much smaller than today. Steve Nash, born in the 1920s, likely becomes a hockey player.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
My grandfather grew up in the 1920s. Farm kids didn't have many tasks in the winter so had ample free time to be kids and just play hockey. My grandfather talked about kids playing hockey all evening every evening from October to April, except the -40 days. Come summer, the farm occupied their life.

Without entertainment or chores you have a lot of time to play hockey.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Maurice Richard was once hockey's biggest star.

Has his star faded?

What are your thoughts on his 100th birthday?

To answer the OP, his star has faded a little bit (even compared to other pre-expansion players). 2 reasons off the top of my head:

1) almost nobody alive today remembers that he was the GOAT until Howe, and that he was prime Howe's chief rival.

2) his status as a "cultural icon"certainly influenced his rating in the past more than it does today.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
From the early 1990's onwards (ie after Lemieux firmly established himself as one of the Big Four - which I'd argue was no later than spring 1992), Maurice Richard seemed to be almost universally considered the #5 player all-time. It's not that you didn't have people argue for Hull or Morenz (as examples), but he seemed to be the most common pick for the 5th spot by a wide margin. It's only been in the past 15 years that his reputation seems to have dropped.

I agree with TDMM - part of his reputation was as a French-Canadian icon. Growing up in Quebec (though as an anglophone), it's hard to exaggerate his cultural significance. Of course, cultural significance and playing ability are separate concepts - and I often wondered (as an outsider, looking in on French-Canadian culture) if his fanatical fans were conflating two different things. Still, he seemed to have widespread support from nearly everyone (francophone or not).

It seems like over the past 15 years or so, there's been an over-reaction in the other direction. I've seen people say (on the main boards - for whatever that's worth) that it's laughable for him to be considered a top ten player all-time. The main knock on him is he never won an Art Ross. That ignores that, had he not peaked at the same time as peak Gordie Howe, he'd have at least two scoring titles (1951 and 1954), and probably three (1953 - depending on what Lindsay did without Howe). Add to that a very long, consistent prime (14 consecutive years as a first- or second-team all-star), a ton of consideration for the Hart trophy ("only" one win, but six times a finalist), and a (deserved) reputation as arguably the 2nd greatest playoff performer in NHL history - and there's a pretty clear case for him being in the top ten.

As a player, he has his weaknesses. His playmaking is comparatively poor (I've made the same criticism of Hull and Ovechkin). His most famous accomplishment (50 goals in 50 games) was done when the league's talent was depleted. There are different accounts of his defensive play, but it seems to range from average to poor.

All that being said - I had him ranked 12th when I submitted my list for the top 220 project. I suspect that's pretty low on HOH. But having him in the top ten is perfectly defensible. And if we're strictly talking about importance to the history of the sport and cultural significance (rather than playing ability), I think only Gretzky would be unquestionably ahead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad