Oct 27, 2005
My guess is...
French = Le Rocket
English = The Rocket

I never heard of "La Fusée"...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
haha, i know, i made that up. it does mean "rocket" in french, right?

Indeed. Rocket can be used as "roquettes"(like the semi-artisanal stuff the Hezbollah were throwing during the recent war in Liban...) or even "missile" to a certain extent, but the most common use is "Fusée".

But we would never say "La Roquette"... That sounds a bit... wimpish.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
But we would never say "La Roquette"... That sounds a bit... wimpish.

"Roquette" is a feminine noun (for those that don't speak French, nouns are classified as masculine or feminine for grammatical purposes). I've seen some sources call him "Le Rocket", which isn't actually a French word, but is a masculinized version of the proper term "la roquette".

Nice picture, MXD. "Seventh Son" is my favourite Maiden album.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
"Roquette" is a feminine noun (for those that don't speak French, nouns are classified as masculine or feminine for grammatical purposes). I've seen some sources call him "Le Rocket", which isn't actually a French word, but is a masculinized version of the proper term "la roquette".

Nice picture, MXD. "Seventh Son" is my favourite Maiden album.

"Piece of Mind" is my favorite :) and thanks for the French lesson -- Bon Swa :)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I am watching the movie "The Rocket" right now (for the 3rd time) .... in no place ever do they refer to him as "Le Fusee".

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Early in his career, they called him "La Comète", The Comet.

In French.

Then, The Rocket came along and that stuck.

In French, he's referred to by his full name, and as "Le Rocket". Rarely Maurice "The/Le Rocket" Richard. Never as Rocket Richard.

Brother Henri is called "Le Pocket"

Jean Beliveau is invariably called "Le Grand Jean Béliveau", The Great Jean Béliveau. And invariably, INVARIABLY called Mr. by everyone.

There's a special relationship between the status of The Rocket and the status of Mr. Béliveau. Equally good, but not in the same way. Rocket is the greatest folklore hero and national hero. Mr. Beliveau is a king amongst men, and could have been premier of Québec or Canada, or governor general, or hell, he could have married Queen Elizabeth and be a great monarch. Not that Rocket couldn't have been, but Mr. Beliveau carries that vibe with him.

Last edited:

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Probably a silly question, but I'm genuinely curious

Was Richard called "The Rocket" in French? Or "Rocket Richard"? Or was there a french variation?
Watch the movie. You will understand what was the condition of french canadians in... Quebec before the '60s.

leftwing lock

Jan 24, 2007
French Canadians in the movie refer to him as Maurice almost exclusivly. There are scenes where the crowd is chanting "Maurice, Maurice,Maurice" not "rocket,rocket..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad