Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Meh, unless we got Wilde as RD, I would have preferred a winger. Hope there is a plan for fixing that desperate need along with the G now that we refreshed the D pipe and missed on Grubauer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
FP's Black Book: #39

Mattias Samuelsson was a defensive force for the USNTDP, who played top-four minutes and in all situations while putting up 31 points in 53 games. He’s slated to play for Western Michigan University in the 2018-2019 season.

Samuelsson’s a physical specimen who uses his frame and weight effectively to drain opposing forwards while also delivering big hits, which made him difficult to play against. He’s a competitive player who tries not to give his opponents an inch. This made him effective in boxing-out players as well as weighing heavy against them along the boards. He’s got a good blend of anticipation and bite to his game; the end result is a defenseman who has a highdegree of defensive presence when he steps onto the ice. He’s an intelligent defender, who recognizes shooting lanes in advance and rarely throws himself out of position when looking for a big hit. It’s probably expected for Samuelsson to be average with his first few steps considering his size, he’s a young kid who’s still developing into his frame. However, he does have a powerful base and has shown decent straight-line speed both with and without the puck. Another important aspect of his game defensively is his composure. Due to this, he’s aware of his physical abilities and doesn’t panic with the puck during aggressive forechecking sequences.

In the offensive-end, he doesn’t play a high-tempo or dynamic game at the line, rarely using little more than a shot fake to re-adjust his shooting lanes and doesn’t look overly comfortable when attempting to cut through traffic. That being said, his offensive awareness is good, making timely pinches to help support his teammates or generate a scoring chance for himself. Both his wrist-shot and slapshot generate power and he has an above average release. He also recognizes when goalies are screened at the point and when he has time to step-in and create a better scoring angle for himself. His first-pass allows him to transition the puck up the ice and he can make fast and accurate passes in the offensive zone, this allowed him to distribute the puck efficiently throughout the year on the powerplay.

Samuelsson’s a cerebral, physically imposing, two-way defenseman who has a high-floor but not as high an offensive ceiling as some of the other defenders expected to go in the first round. However, if he can continue to improve his first few steps and round out his offensive-game. We see Samuelsson as a player who can develop into a defenseman who can log a lot of minutes for an NHL team.

“He’s one of my favourites in this draft, very efficient in his style of play.” HP Scout, Dusten Braaksma
“He dropped slightly for me as the year progressed because of my offensive projections for him but I’m a fan of his overall game. He’ll eat minutes but he’s not a player our whole staff is sold on as a potential high pick.. Not predicting nor did I hear anything, but it wouldn’t shock me to see him in the OHL next season.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
ISS has him #31:

Scouting Report | Towering, two-way defender played for the U.S. National Team Development Program. At 6’3.5” and 217-pounds he is an intimidating presence on defence. He logs big minutes for his team and plays in every situation. He has a great understanding of the game and is rarely out of position. He is very competitive as a shutdown defenseman. He covers a lot of space in the corners and has a very active stick. Mattias is a player that has room to grow and improve over the next couple of seasons. Committed to Western Michigan University.
Director of Scouting, Dennis MacInnis | ““Big mobile two-way defender with more defensive upside at next level. Has good hands and above average puck control, sees the ice and makes good decisions with the puck”.

ISS Scout Luke Curadi | “Good base and power output. Strong in battles, good d-stick. Good shot from up top on PP. Better offensively when he doesn't try to do too much and makes more simple plays. Some sandpaper in his game.”

ISS Scout Tim Zeches | “Big physical D-man that plays with an edge. Good positioning will use his long reach or play the body. Loves to step up in neutral zone and pinch off rushing forwards. Good skater has long strides but needs to improve transitions. Can be a shutdown/physical defenseman at NHL level.”

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Bode Wilde, Jared McIsaac and Samuelson were the three best remaining D. I think we are going to be glad we went D here.

Wanted one of the other two you mentioned but won't complain about this pick.

Glad we went D... What a difference a day makes.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Baker's Top 31: #20 Mattias Samuelsson

I was about to ask what people bought about Samuelsson in the draft thread, but I was too late. The pick was made before I could hit enter.

Jacob Olofsson isn’t talked about much on these boards, but he is #21 on Kris Bakers board and still available.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Looks to be a defensive defensemen? I don't mind that. We can't have everyone offense, we do need shut down pairs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If there is a plan here to have some mobile guys and then also punctuate with some hard take-out guys who can skate.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Scandella replacement. I like it.

Do you want your mid pairing guys to be low IQ but greater skaters like Beaulieu, or high IQ responsible giants that just lack a first step? I stick with the latter- we already have Dahlin.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
He was off my radar but after reading up on him I like this pick.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves but... 1 year in college, 1 year in the AHL, and then replace Scandella when his contract expires.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Well, love all the scouting reports I'm reading. As a goalie and my philosophy in general, my favorite player on the ice is the large, responsible, intelligent, stay-at-home defenseman. The game is won by how much bullshit goes on in your kitchen, and how much bullshit goes on in the other team's kitchen. If your kitchen is cleaner, you win most of the time. A guy who sits in the kitchen and just does the dishes as they come is my favorite guy in the world.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There were about 10 other guys I preferred but I like the player. I like that we're hearing he's a "character" guy, which you can't glean from the video. That goes a long way for me.

Eventually we are going to need some right handed D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->