Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It'd love to see someone do that work too. Johnson and Gourde are key guys for them currently and they have Martel, Barre-Boulet, Abbandonato, and even Conacher in their system. They seem to have a knack for turning up CHL guys as UDFA.
Sounds like a job for Ryan Stimpson.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
3AD0DCBA-D4DD-498A-B6E5-AFE91A5CA244.jpeg
Some nights, refreshers are in order.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He looked pretty good today, even with the breakdown on the 2nd GA where Farabee gives the backcheck fly-by and Statsney is basically statuary in front of the net.

I still prefer him on LD, but he got rotated in on the right side due to only one right shot on defense (Emberton, mostly glued to Miller's starboard wing) for the WJSS lineup today.

He did not look like someone with any sort of footspeed issues. The seal on Veleno where he cuts off the lane, uses his stick to poke the puck off Veleno out to the neutral zone, and then gets up the ice in front of Veleno to crash the net on a 2-on-1 was his most dangerous offensive play in the half-game I watched.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like the roster locks all were held out today so they could evaluate the remainder. Samuelsson and Miller were both unsurprisingly not part of today’s game, so a bit more affirmation that he’ll be at anothe U20.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Samuelsson and Johnson are future pillars of Buffalos top 4 D. Add Dahlin, Joker, Borgen and one of the many other prospects and the future is looking pretty bright on Buffalos’ back end. Time to start purging these vets for forwards and future to keep cupboard stocked,

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Samuelsson and Johnson are future pillars of Buffalos top 4 D. Add Dahlin, Joker, Borgen and one of the many other prospects and the future is looking pretty bright on Buffalos’ back end. Time to start purging these vets for forwards and future to keep cupboard stocked,

Right now let’s let them continue to develop. Johnson is probably three years out, Samuelsson maybe two. They are nice prospects, let’s not get too high. “Pillars” is certainly an optimistic take.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

As Chain said, too early to get high. Wasn't too long ago when we thought we were set long term for D with Risto, Zads, Ehrhoff, Myers, McNabb, Pysyk

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

No need to rush..

Yes buffalo can trade Scandella, Bogo, and Hunwick deadline..

20/21

Dahlin-Pilut-Mccabe
Risto-Montour-Miller

Can trade McCabe with one year left

21/22
Dahlin-Pilut-???
Joker-Borgen-???

Could trade Risto and expose miller in ED. They could opt to kero Risto and Trade Montour.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He looked pretty good today, even with the breakdown on the 2nd GA where Farabee gives the backcheck fly-by and Statsney is basically statuary in front of the net.

I still prefer him on LD, but he got rotated in on the right side due to only one right shot on defense (Emberton, mostly glued to Miller's starboard wing) for the WJSS lineup today.

He did not look like someone with any sort of footspeed issues. The seal on Veleno where he cuts off the lane, uses his stick to poke the puck off Veleno out to the neutral zone, and then gets up the ice in front of Veleno to crash the net on a 2-on-1 was his most dangerous offensive play in the half-game I watched.

His skating seemed unimpressive during the prospect scrimmage, but maybe that was just because he was shaking off the summer rust.

In any case, seems like everywhere he goes, he's praised for his leadership skills, which is something you love to hear about a kid.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His skating seemed unimpressive during the prospect scrimmage, but maybe that was just because he was shaking off the summer rust.

In any case, seems like everywhere he goes, he's praised for his leadership skills, which is something you love to hear about a kid.

I've heard. And yet, when I watch him at last year's U20's or here at the WJSS and he gets to where he needs to be to seal lanes, hold angles to drive his man wide, or close to get his stick/body on his check just fine. My point is more to the echo chamber that someone says "oh, he's not a good skater" and it just gets repeated without challenge. He's not fast, but he isn't a slug without a future.

Reactions: Sabreality

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
yep, his skating is fine and I think its getting better, people act like he's Sam Morin or something because of his larger size, he's not a plodder at all.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Seemed like not so long ago Samuelsson was being written off as a sure-fire bust. Glad to see that changed quickly.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->