Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Getting him a little more expanded role as a sophomore with WMU would suit him well. Attard is committed to the Broncos, so he likely gets Schoenenenemee.... Schueneman's offensive minutes and Cam Lee returns as well.

Throwing him into the pros to me doesn't seem like the best use of his season. If he signs at the end of a strong year? Sure. But he seems like a couple of years off still, shy a bump in his game.

Yeah, he's got plenty of room for growth and development at the NCAA level. No need to make him into a one-and-done'r. Aside from being an imposing physical presence, I'm not sure he's got many pro-ready tools right now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wasn't he billed as having plus mobility coming out of the draft? Or am I making that up?

Looking at those videos, he's going to have to clean his game up in the pros or he's going to spend a lot of time suspended.

Growing into his frame and getting quicker in his first few steps were things I recall about his skating in the scouting reviews. Most of those services had no issue with his mobility. He throws himself into defense-first play but there is probably more offense there than we've seen. Again, I do wonder if he'll get PP time with personal OA fav Ronnie Attard joining WMU, so that's going to put a dent in some point totals if we just use that for evaluation.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'd like to see the big kid patrolling the NZ in ROC this year.
He committed to returning to WMU for his sophomore season.
Sabres prospect Mattias Samuelsson to remain at Western Michigan
Defenseman Mattias Samuelsson told The Buffalo News on Thursday he plans to return to Western Michigan for his sophomore season in 2019-20. Samuelsson, who the Sabres drafted 32nd overall, had five goals with seven assists in 35 games as a freshman for the Broncos.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm curious to see what his role will be on the U20 team this coming year, assuming he makes it again. It's hard to judge since NCHC games were pretty rare to find in my feed.
Per what you said about development, taking on that bigger role prior to U20 will be key. 3 or 4 months at this age is quite a bit of dev time. I do wonder if college last season was the best place for defense men like him to develop, who need lots of game-situational ice time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Per what you said about development, taking on that bigger role prior to U20 will be key. 3 or 4 months at this age is quite a bit of dev time. I do wonder if college last season was the best place for defense men like him to develop, who need lots of game-situational ice time.

The lack of easy video is very much out of sight, out of mind for me. I know I liked most of what I saw at the u20's, though now I'm probably going to go back and re-watch a few games again, just to see if I can pay more attention to him specifically. That and I watched all of the other series I want to watch, I'm fighting off a head cold, and I'm flying solo so I don't have to divide my attention to anyone but me. :D

I don't expect him to get PP time for the U20 team, but a bigger role or being a vigorous force in shutting down known powers like Canada would put some significant glow into my hopes for his future.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't expect him to get PP time for the U20 team, but a bigger role or being a vigorous force in shutting down known powers like Canada would put some significant glow into my hopes for his future.

If the Sabres missed on 32 in this draft it would say a lot about their drafting and development abilities.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If the Sabres missed on 32 in this draft it would say a lot about their drafting and development abilities.

He was a bit polarizing. Some teams reportedly had him with first round marks but again, what he brings is a hard to quantify set of skills beyond some flawed measures for what he does do well (I'm talking total points or plus/minus). I'm keen to find out how he does at Dev Camp and then the US selection camp for the U20's, since he and Miller were the only 2 2000-born guys on the last squad. That seems like a good indicator those two may have a leg up on the next round of guys, though there will be some quality U20 possibles from the current U18/NTDP squad.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So Greeley says Samuelsson has added 11 or 12 lbs of muscle since last camp. I don't know what that means for his total weight, since his draft guide had him at 218 lbs but the current roster they released has him at 193 lbs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad