Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Mattias Samuelsson.

FC #38

Another product of the U.S. National Development Team, this is one big blueliner. Not particularly flashy, Samuelsson is an effective two-way player. Even though top-end speed is not his forte, his skating is good enough once he gets going to allow him to keep pace with play. His asset, not surprisingly, is his shut-down work. His size is an obvious strength, but his ability to deploy that gift is exceptional. Adept at using his stick or his body, no matter how much traffic and commotion, he can alleviate pressure. Rarely puts himself out of position. His defensive game is what makes him a highly-regarded prospect. Keeps things simple and within his abilities. Oneon-one, few blueliners are as highly regarded in the draft class. Exceptional gap control. Incredibly poised. Willing to sacrifice to keep pucks out of his net. But he’s not all defense. He possesses got hockey sense and vision, meaning he is able to make strong choices moving the puck or putting it on net. To go with his over-sized dimensions, the Voorhees, N.J., native is also a character presence. A leader for the U.S. squad for whom he collected 14 points and 64 penalty minutes in 23 appearances. In 2016-17, a season split between the U-17 and U-18 sides, Samuelsson managed 10 points in 30 outings. Plenty of upside on display here.

Last edited:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Like it. Hurts seeing Berggren going one pick later though.

But I guess this really helps our D depth, which is still needed.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Like it. Hurts seeing Berggren going one pick later though.

But I guess this really helps our D depth, which is still needed.
Really hurts hearing the talking heads call him a more skilled Arvidsson. I would have preferred Berggren but it's done now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->