Injury Report: Mattias Ohlund: Chances of playing again "are not great"

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Considering he hasn't even been on skates since November 2011 because of his bad knees, it has been assumed for a while the career of Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Mattias Ohlund likely is over.

But Ohlund on Sunday admitted the surgery on his left knee that was the last best chance for him to revive his career has not produced the results for which he had hoped, and he pretty much (but not quite) acknowledged he will not play again. Even going that far was a first for the big Swede.

"I'm not close to working out or even skating," Ohlund said. "Clearly, it's not going the way I thought or everybody wanted when I had my surgery done. My normal life is better, but I'm not close to where I want to be." (...)

As for a comeback, Ohlund, 36, said, "Clearly I have to be realistic. I haven't played for a year and a half. Nobody has told me it's impossible to ever play again but, clearly, the longer it goes the chances of that are getting tougher and tougher. ... Clearly, you have to be realistic that the chances are not great." (...)

It is expected Ohlund and general manager Steve Yzerman will chat at some point this season about Ohlund's future. He got a taste of post-player life last season when he as used as an eye-in-the-sky during games, but he bristled when the coaching staff referred to him as an ad-hoc assistant.
Full article: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...hlund-talks-if-his-playing-career-likely-over

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'll post this now. Thanks for the memories.

E6t7Z.jpg

and the lack of them.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Yeah those are some nice hits.
Too bad he is most likely done.

Nice, clean hits. Figures he would get a penalty in the first vid though. Toronto! Typical!

He got a penalty for roughing after the hit. It was to offset Matt Stajan getting a double minor for roughing Ohlund up after it and Tampa actually got a powerplay out of it as shown in the video.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Great player, too bad his time with us was so short. Can't say anything bad about his play here, either. I liked that he had one goal for us during our playoff run.

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
He'll be missed. Hopefully his health off-ice gets back to 100%. A very solid career!! :handclap:

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Well, at least he has a GM who will certainly understand about bad knees. A shame to see his career go out like this, but he was a solid d-man. Would've liked to have seen him get a cup.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Well, at least he has a GM who will certainly understand about bad knees. A shame to see his career go out like this, but he was a solid d-man. Would've liked to have seen him get a cup.

He's still on the team, so he still has a chance to raise the cup if we can win him one this season.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Mattias Ohlund

Will he ever play for Tampa Bay again or what about the NHL? Is his career done due to injuries? Discuss

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Mattias ohlund

guys this is the last year for MATTIAS OHLUND and having his contract on the books! what will you miss the most ? also this is the last contract ok hockey did on our books we can move on now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad