Player Discussion Mattias Janmark

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Let's for a second that Janmark can recover from his injury and return to his previous form. And, I know that's not a small question mark, but let's entertain it for a moment. Could he be a future Spezza replacement? He looked at home on the 2nd wing during 2015-16, he used to play center, and he seems to be a solid two way player. Does he have the potential to be a future #2 center?

Last edited by a moderator:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Fixed the spelling of the title.

---

I don't really project Janmark as a center, nor as a bonafide second line player. I think he projects to be a great middle six player who can play every position, but resides primarily on the wing.

I'd love to see him and Faksa play together. That could make for one hell of a third line duo.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Fixed the spelling of the title.

---

I don't really project Janmark as a center, nor as a bonafide second line player. I think he projects to be a great middle six player who can play every position, but resides primarily on the wing.

I'd love to see him and Faksa play together. That could make for one hell of a third line duo.

I think if he overcomes the injury he could certainty be a 2nd line wing, but I'm not too sure about center. Faksa/Janmark would be pretty great.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
FWIW ... Janmark prefers center. Lindy wouldn't play him there, but he didn't play a lot of natural centers at center. When Janmark was a productive player in Sweden, it was from the center position.

I think you at least have to give a shot, but he's the type of center you wish Eakin could become. After putting up very good point totals down the lineup, Eakin crumbled when he was thrust into a bigger role. Janmark has the potential to be a two-way center. I don't think he'll necessarily reach it, but he could be a 40-50 point 2nd line center if he reached full potential. His injury is probably going to bother him the majority of his career though so I would expect him to end up more in a Middle 6 role like you talked about assuming he can stay healthy. I would also assume it would be on the wing as you suggest, I'd just like to see him get a shot at his natural position.

I feel the same way about Shore though. I wouldn't try him at center over anyone they have, but it would be interesting to see how he does. If they add a Top 6 winger, at Top 9 winger, and Janmark is healthy, I wouldn't mind seeing him center the 4th line this year. Obviously you'd let him fight with Ritchie for the last Top 6 wing spot, but Shore could contribute out of the 4th line spot, and he'd be a candidate to be the center/face off guy on the 2nd PP.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Just for reference, here's what I'm envisioning going into next season:

Benn - Seguin - Eaves/UFA
Shore - Spezza - Nichushkin/UFA
Janmark - Faksa - Roussel
McKenzie - Smith - Ritchie
Cracknell, Elie

Lindell - Klingberg
Hamhuis - Honka
Oleksiak - Johns
Pateryn

Bishop
Lehtonen

This is assuming Eakin is taken in the expansion draft.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I can see Janny being a 2nd line center. He's sucha treat to watch, reminded me of a Jere/Loui mix. Really hope he is healthy.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX

Cracknell, Elie

Lindell - Klingberg
Hamhuis - Honka
Oleksiak - Johns
Pateryn

Bishop
Lehtonen

Keep Shore away from Spezza. They would get burned in a footrace by Lucic even if one was pushing the other on skates fueled by nitrous. And take out McKenzie for Elie. Roussel-Faksa-Ritchie were great as a trio so I'd keep them together. They were something like 58%CF as a group.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015

Cracknell, Elie

Lindell - Klingberg
Hamhuis - Honka
Oleksiak - Johns
Pateryn

Bishop
Lehtonen

I was about to say Ritchie can't be on the 4th line but then noticed you had us signing Eaves so Ritchie would end up playing a lot of top six minutes anyway.

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx

Cracknell, Elie

Lindell - Klingberg
Hamhuis - Honka
Oleksiak - Johns
Pateryn

Bishop
Lehtonen

Good god we need some wingers..

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Eaves is resigning in Anaheim. They've already started contract talks. I'd love him back, but doubt that happens

As of right now, Benn and Seguin need a RW. Maybe Nill can snag Neal from LV

Back on topic, I really hope Janmark can return to form. He'd be great on Spezzas LW and would help the pk

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Eaves us resigning in Anaheim. They've already started contract talks. I'd love him back, but doubt that happens

As of right now, Benn and Seguin need a RW. Maybe Nill can snag Neal from LV

Back on topic, I really hope Janmark can return to form. He'd be great on Spezzas LW and would help the pk

No way Neal comes back. He wasn't well-liked.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
No way Neal comes back. He wasn't well-liked.

You're going to need to provide a reliable source for that info. I don't recall that being accurate. Nieuwendyk desperately wanted a defender, and he felt he had a glut of wingers. The way I recall this, we all suspected Neal would be dealt for D ... just not Goligoski. I vaguely recall the obligatory trash talk on his way out about occasional attitude issues, but I don't think there was anything about him having issues in the locker room.

The biggest concern was the negotiation of his bridge deal was difficult and that did cause some hurt feelings. Those hurt feelings are common, nearly all RFAs get taken advantage of by their teams which is why they're paid below market (read UFA) value. Plus, that was an entirely different front office.

Hell, Jamie Benn's RFA negotiation was even worse. He actually held out and missed regular season games. If a guy truly can't handle the business side of hockey, he's probably too mentally weak to handle the pressure on the ice.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
But who is still around who worked/played with Neal? JeffK?

For key staff members probably Kelly Forbes and Les Jackson (he doesn't negotiate contracts). There's really not a person here that he would likely have an issue with.Obviously, even the ownership has changed ... or more accurately ... they actually have an owner.

FWIW ... I'm not advocating they go get him. I don't think he'd be a bad additional or anything, but possible lockership issues that may or may not be accurate from back then aren't remotely a concern.

EDIT: I thought about correcting lockership, but I like it.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Neal may well be overpaid at this point. Is one bad season the start of a trend? Maybe. Snipers usually peak in their mid 20s, so it's very possible his days of 30 goals are behind him.

Then again, even the threat of him would help the PP. You'd also have to think taking passes from Seguin and Spezza would help.

On top of that, with all the holes the Stars have on wing, he would be an upgrade.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Then again, even the threat of him would help the PP. You'd also have to think taking passes from Seguin and Spezza would help.

On top of that, with all the holes the Stars have on wing, he would be an upgrade.

I agree he'd be an upgrade. My only hesitation is he's signed for one year, he's going to cost quite a bit in assets, and there's little chance you would want to pay him what he'll get in free agency in 1 year. None of that's a deal breaker, but like I said ... makes me pause.

That said, you're right about the PP. Dallas doesn't have a left shot who can wire pucks for the 2nd unit. If they balance the units, and I think they should, you could have Seguin and Benn sniping for the 1st unit with Spezza and Neal doing well on the 2nd unit.

Honestly if the core of each unit is Benn-Seguin-Klingberg and Spezza-Neal-Honka, you really have no excuse for having a poor PP.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I agree he'd be an upgrade. My only hesitation is he's signed for one year, he's going to cost quite a bit in assets, and there's little chance you would want to pay him what he'll get in free agency in 1 year. None of that's a deal breaker, but like I said ... makes me pause.

That said, you're right about the PP. Dallas doesn't have a left shot who can wire pucks for the 2nd unit. If they balance the units, and I think they should, you could have Seguin and Benn sniping for the 1st unit with Spezza and Neal doing well on the 2nd unit.

Honestly if the core of each unit is Benn-Seguin-Klingberg and Spezza-Neal-Honka, you really have no excuse for having a poor PP.

#Fraser

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

Hey look ... we're pretending that's not happening right now or at the very least using the ever so popular and rampant Ruff excuse. I have 4 months until this actually has to sink in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad