Prospect Info: Mattias Janmark

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
nylén also made his national team debut in april. that's pretty impressive for a 19y old who was not well known the summer before. but his breakout season really put him on the map.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Honestly, pretty excited by the report ppl are posting in here. Vision isn't something you can teach, but skating (at least skating well, not elite speed of course) most certainly can be taught.

I MIGHT some day get over that Bertuzzi pick if this kid is real. I could care less that he's 21 if he can come here and contribute eventually from the 3rd round.

Point Shot

Keep It Realgud
Feb 12, 2013
I like this pick. He did well playing against men on a bad team in a top national league. If Andersson sees something there, there's something there.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
Goals and assist from previous season. MÃ¥l = Goal (Though, the first video in top-left under "MÃ¥l" not with Janmark's goal)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Here's a decent reason to be excited about this one:

Jarnkrok had 13 goals and 29 assists in 52 games in the SEL this year. He was 9th in scoring.

Janmark-Nylen had 14 goals and 17 assists in 55 games. He was 26th in scoring. He actually outscored Lindholm (although Lindholm had a better PPG). AIK was not a very good team either, and Janmark-Nylen was 2nd in points.

Of course, he's not better than Jarnkrok or Lindholm. But the point is, at the SEL level, he's roughly on their level. Jarnkrok is actually a year older too. This is a guy who could be in Grand Rapids before you know it, and he owns scoring line center upside.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's a little difficult to see if that's Janmark streaking up the right wing, but if it is, he has some solid speed. The SEL site has it as his goal, unassisted, so I would assume that's him (considering he has the puck).

http://www.shl.se/video/1860777286001/

Having watched all these highlights, I think the following:

• he has good hockey sense. Most of his goals come from that, although he does own a decent shot.
  • he seems to have pretty good speed. Needs improvement!
  • he has a few nice little dekes there, although he seems more Zetterberg than Datsyuk in that department.
  • he seems unafraid to play in traffic, more specifically in front of the net. Obviously going to the net in the SEL isn't the same as a NA league, but it's something.

edit: I'm pretty sure the guy on the RW in the highlight here isn't Janmark. I think Janmark is the guy on the LW, deflects it in, and there's just some scoresheet weirdness going on. So, yeah... the guy on the LW needs to work on his skating a bit.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Håkan said on a Swedish vlog that he thinks Janmark-Nylén is at a similar stage in his development as Bäckman even if they're playing different positions. He was apparently on their draft board last year, but they choosed to pass up on him then. "Not that physical but he works all the time and I like that". He thinks he's got speed with some hands and creativity basically.

I think a season where he establish himself at that SHL level would be a good year. If he does he's sure to play some more national team games too.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I just hope he doesn't end up being a Brunnstrom or Axelsson type of situation. Tons of skill and potential but doesn't translate to the NA game or has attitude issues.

icebluuu

May 15, 2011
I have seen Janmark-Nylén live a couple of times, as I'm an AIK fan. He's been a difference maker in several of the games I watched, and trust me, getting 31 points in 55 games on last seasons AIK team is good. Detroit got a possible gem.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I have seen Janmark-Nylén live a couple of times, as I'm an AIK fan. He's been a difference maker in several of the games I watched, and trust me, getting 31 points in 55 games on last seasons AIK team is good. Detroit got a possible gem.

Well, you just made *my* Monday, can't speak for anyone else but thanks :)

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Janmark is the name he has been using all his life, you can skip the Nylén part completely.

I think this is a great pick for you guys. He was one of the best players on one of the worst teams in the Swedish Elite League last season.

And I am a Djurgården fan, the biggest rival team to aik. So I am not biased at all in this case. I am mad Detroit picked him, cause now he will probably be allowed to stay in Sweden for a long time.

And just look how similar he looks to Malkin?!

janmark+mars.JPG

images

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
After reading some more about this guy, this is by far my favorite pick.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
And Janmark with the shootout gamewinner. (In Sweden you actually get credited for the SO winner so Janmark is on 3 goals and 1 assist after the first game)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And Janmark with the shootout gamewinner. (In Sweden you actually get credited for the SO winner so Janmark is on 3 goals and 1 assist after the first game)

He sounds like a good player. Hopefully his agent tells him to stay in Sweden, since you can't make the Red Wings until you're 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad