Prospect Info: Mathais Emilio Pettersen: 2018 6th round, 167th overall

Aug 3, 2010
In honesty I don't expect that he'll become much but if he does, any pick that becomes a player (especially after the second round) is gravy. Plays a good rounded game and has some skill to boot and it sounds like he knows he's on the "long road" but that's just fine.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
In honesty I don't expect that he'll become much but if he does, any pick that becomes a player (especially after the second round) is gravy. Plays a good rounded game and has some skill to boot and it sounds like he knows he's on the "long road" but that's just fine.

Most guys picked this late are on the long road minus some special development curves.

It's now up to the kids to be honest. This guy has some good mitts; so he has that going for him... but you're talking about guys that are two years away, from being two years away.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
tenor.gif

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
11 points in 6 games. If he can put up 50-60 points this season, what are his chances in the NHL, and what would his NHLe be? Usually the NCAA is a good indicator of NHL success, so I'm curious.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
FWIW, Oliver Wahlstrom has 1 point in his first 6 games.

It’s a good start for Peterssen but he needs to keep it up.

This wasn’t even the pick Flames could of had, but remember how this board said we were sooooo stupid trading for Hammer?

They could of had Dobson or Wahlstrom! What dummies. Sure. Yeah.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Anyone got any highlights? Numbers are crazy for sure. Still tempering my expectations due to sample size.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
11 points in 6 games. If he can put up 50-60 points this season, what are his chances in the NHL, and what would his NHLe be? Usually the NCAA is a good indicator of NHL success, so I'm curious.

That would be the best freshmen season since Kyle Connor or Brock Boeser who put up similar #s to that. Only really Jack Eichel would be more successful than that, as he did it in his draft year.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
This wasn’t even the pick Flames could of had, but remember how this board said we were sooooo stupid trading for Hammer?

They could of had Dobson or Wahlstrom! What dummies. Sure. Yeah.

Wahlstrom's shot is only a bit weaker than Laine's. Imagine Gaudreau-Lindholm-Wahlstrom. At the very minimum that pick should have been protected. I don't mind losing the 2019 1st round pick with how we're playing.

Imagine in 2020-2021 we have this for PP1:

Wahlstrom
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Giordano/Hanifin

Wahlstrom sniping at the left side would be deadly.

In 2020-2021 we'd either have:
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Wahlstrom
Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett
Dube-Backlund-Neal
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik/Ryan

Giordano-Brodie/Hamonic
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-????

or

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Dube-Czarnik
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Ryan

Giordano-Brodie/Hamonic/Dobson
Hanifin-Andersson/Hamonic/Dobson
Valimaki-Hamonic/Dobson

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
That would be the best freshmen season since Kyle Connor or Brock Boeser who put up similar #s to that. Only really Jack Eichel would be more successful than that, as he did it in his draft year.

Well we already have Swedes and Finns on the team. If only we kept Aagaard and he done well. All we'd be missing is an Icelandic player and we're the Calgary Nordiques lol. I remember seeing one instagram story of Brodin posting he was visiting family in Iceland, so I guess he's the closest thing to Iceland in the NHL. We'd have the Calgary Nordiques team haha if we got him and a Dane on the squad.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wahlstrom's shot is only a bit weaker than Laine's. Imagine Gaudreau-Lindholm-Wahlstrom. At the very minimum that pick should have been protected. I don't mind losing the 2019 1st round pick with how we're playing.

Imagine in 2020-2021 we have this for PP1:

Wahlstrom
Giordano/Hanifin

Wahlstrom sniping at the left side would be deadly.

In 2020-2021 we'd either have:
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Wahlstrom
Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett
Dube-Backlund-Neal
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik/Ryan

Giordano-Brodie/Hamonic
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-????

or

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Dube-Czarnik
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Ryan

Giordano-Brodie/Hamonic/Dobson
Hanifin-Andersson/Hamonic/Dobson
Valimaki-Hamonic/Dobson

I can see how amazing his shot is. 1 goal in 6 games in the NCAA :laugh:

As I've grown older, I've really stopped getting to into draft hype. Every kid in the first round seems to have that 'it' factor, 'his skating is amazing, if he puts it together, wow' 'his shot is hard as hell!' 'he's a huge mobile defender!'. If you can get an NHL'er that's the right side of 30, signed for term at a good cap hit, who can be a difference maker to your top 4D or top 6F, versus a 11-20 pick at the draft... I tend to like the NHL player to be honest. Drafts are such crap shoots. You can either get a Filip Forsberg in the teens, or you can get a Sven Bartschi, there's a huge dropoff there.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I can see how amazing his shot is. 1 goal in 6 games in the NCAA :laugh:

As I've grown older, I've really stopped getting to into draft hype. Every kid in the first round seems to have that 'it' factor, 'his skating is amazing, if he puts it together, wow' 'his shot is hard as hell!' 'he's a huge mobile defender!'. If you can get an NHL'er that's the right side of 30, signed for term at a good cap hit, who can be a difference maker to your top 4D or top 6F, versus a 11-20 pick at the draft... I tend to like the NHL player to be honest. Drafts are such crap shoots. You can either get a Filip Forsberg in the teens, or you can get a Sven Bartschi, there's a huge dropoff there.

The top 10 in a draft (unless it is super weak) is usually bankable assets, which is awesome. It is a young man's game now, so draft capital (as in volume) is more important than just high end draft picks. You are right, you cannot just rely on high picks, but simply;y having lots of draft capital is a good idea. The more darts you can throw the better. If somebody offered me an asset for a draft pick considered of similar value, 9/10 I would take the asset...Obviously the cap plays in, but I know what you mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->